Misheard Words/Phrases

We've all been caught out with a word/phrase we've misheard and made a fool of ourselves with. To be pacific, @Don Diego De la Vega recently admitted he thought that people went "hand gliding" - not meaning to make an escape goat out of them, it just wasn't one that I'd seen before.

Apparently they're called "mondegreens" - what other ones ov you heard?

(see also the Misheard Song Lyrics thread)

Supposedly the word ‘apron’ used to be ‘napron’ but as things weren’t written down and people were illiterate hearing “a napron” was interpreted as “an apron” and over time ‘apron’ became the word it is today.   

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

There's a lad on the WoSFL forum who has twice called Darvel players "pre-madonnas". Oh the fun we've had. I won't name him.

Have you pointed out Madonna was christened Madonna so ‘pre-Madonna’ means ‘swimming around Mr Ciccone’s baws’? 

Just now, carpetmonster said:

Have you pointed out Madonna was christened Madonna so ‘pre-Madonna’ means ‘swimming around Mr Ciccone’s baws’? 

No, have to admit my mind didn't go there 🤔. No, it was more asking if he meant Cher and a load of Madonna song title puns. 

2 hours ago, BTFD said:

We've all been caught out with a word/phrase we've misheard and made a fool of ourselves with. To be pacific, @Don Diego De la Vega recently admitted he thought that people went "hand gliding" - not meaning to make an escape goat out of them, it just wasn't one that I'd seen before.

Apparently they're called "mondegreens" - what other ones ov you heard?

(see also the Misheard Song Lyrics thread)

Cheers @BTFD, shoved right under the thicko bus 

To aid my paper thin defence in my scheme Airdrie vernacular Hang glider and "han-glider" sound almost exactly the same....