The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 2023/24

Frank Grimes

Would Aberdeen fans prefer to go through in the qualifier in the EL or drop down to the ECL. If it was my team I’d rather to watch competitive games with at least a small chance of progressing from a group no real fun in 5-0 skuddings against some of the elite apart from the bevvy up.  From a coefficient perspective I hope they drop down to the ECL if we have another season like the last our coefficient will drop like a stone and the 3rd place guaranteed European football will soon be over. Hearts two wins over some Latvian mob somewhat stopped it reaching Welsh levels.

Edited by paddymcp

32 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

Would Aberdeen fans prefer to go through in the qualifier in the EL or drop down to the ECL. If it was my team I’d rather to watch competitive games with at least a small chance of progressing from a group no real fun in 5-0 skuddings against some of the elite apart from the bevvy up.  From a coefficient perspective I hope they drop down to the ECL if we have another season like the last our coefficient will drop like a stone and the 3rd place guaranteed European football will soon be over. Hearts two wins over some Latvian mob somewhat stopped it reaching Welsh levels.

Europa League £££

13 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’ve not got the figures to hand but I think we can get just as much in the conference with a couple of wins than in the Europa getting pumped in every game.

Prize money

Here is the estimated prize money available to teams in the group stages of both the Europa League and the Conference League. £3,150,458

Competition Europa League Conference League
Participation fee £3.15 million £2.55 million
Per win £456,000 £433,000
Per draw £182,000 £144,000
Win group £954,000 £564,000
Second in group £477,000

£282,000

Not much in it! I wouldn't mind dropping down to the conference league if it means we have a chance of a win or two!! 

I think we probably have just as much chance as progressing from the Europa as the Conference just with the 3 places compared to 2. Wanting to be in the lower tier competition for slight (hypothetical) increases in money is pathetic.

10 hours ago, Spectre said:

I think we probably have just as much chance as progressing from the Europa as the Conference just with the 3 places compared to 2. Wanting to be in the lower tier competition for slight (hypothetical) increases in money is pathetic.

I think it is close, look at the teams who finished 3rd and even 4th in the Europa groups last year and as the bottom seed do you think you could finish 3rd?

Then look at the teams who finished 2nd in the conference leagues as well. I think it would a huge achievement to get through either group.

More chance of a real big name in the Europa like Liverpool, Roma or Sporting but more chance of points in the conference.

Money wise you would need a win and a draw to at least break even in the conference with the Europa money.

15 hours ago, Spectre said:

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

I'd rather we competed at the highest possible level.

Surely that's the whole point. 

Let the club's accountants worry about the money. 

I don’t think anyone has said they’d rather be in the Conference League because of the money.

I think I’d prefer to be in the ECL because we’d be more competitive but I’m delighted with either tbh.

FWIW, last season it was €500k per win in the conference and €166k for a draw. Added onto the base fee of €2,94m.

For the Europa it's €630k per win and €210k per draw, and the base group stage fee is about €3,63m.

Losing every game in your Europa group (assuming you get a half decent amount for winning your qualifying games) is probably worth the same as 2 wins in a Conference group, maybe throw in a draw depending on how much you'd get for winning the play-off.

Edited by LiviLion

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

I don’t think anyone has said they’d rather be in the Conference League because of the money.

I think I’d prefer to be in the ECL because we’d be more competitive but I’m delighted with either tbh.

I’d take the “more competitive” thing as a silver lining, partial compensation for dropping down but definitely want us to be in the higher tier.

I might think differently when PSV’s eighth goes in, but I’d  (just) rather be getting skelped off Celtic in the premier than scraping past diddies like United in the championship domestically and the same applies abroad. 

Plus we’ll probably just end up getting beaten by slovakians and Finns instead of Portuguese and Belgians

The draws have been very kind to Scottish clubs so far this season. Aberdeen have a good chance of making it to the Europa now. Would rather see them in the Conference League though. Think it's a better chance of going through and much more competitive games. Also the coefficient points, both for Scotland and Aberdeen would be better in the Conference. A couple of seasons in the Conference groups would eventually mean they would be seeded in pot 2 rather than pot 3.