The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 2023/24

Frank Grimes

On 30/08/2023 at 12:54, Buckets said:

Looking at the pots, I think Aberdeen have as much chance of finishing 2nd in the Conference as they do 3rd in the Europa. 

I just worry that 4 or 5 heavy defeats by a few goals could demoralise the squad and support and derail Aberdeen's season. That might not happen in the Europa but I think in the Conference it's more likely Aberdeen are competitive and pick up some points. Coefficient points might also get them into pot 3 in the future and also keep Scotland in a position to have 3rd guaranteed group stage football for another season. 

In a way I agree that Conference League is a better fit for us presently.

However, now we're in a position where one home victory against a team we've already drawn with away.

Therefore, we need now to grab the opportunity and reach the Europa League. We might not get another an opportunity like this to do so.

It might not be a memorable campaign in the Europa League if we're suffering heavy losses; however, the only way to improve as a club is to challenge ourselves at the highest level attainable to us.

15 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

In a way I agree that Conference League is a better fit for us presently.

However, now we're in a position where one home victory against a team we've already drawn with away.

Therefore, we need now to grab the opportunity and reach the Europa League. We might not get another an opportunity like this to do so.

It might not be a memorable campaign in the Europa League if we're suffering heavy losses; however, the only way to improve as a club is to challenge ourselves at the highest level attainable to us.

Not forgetting the higher financial rewards and profile for attracting better players. We should always be aiming as high as possible imo.

I feel quite relaxed with this safety net of something that probably suits us more anyway.

That's not to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy last week, and hope we do the business tonight - but it is a weird feeling knowing that we're still in Europe regardless.

I note that Bet365 still have Häcken as slight favourites. We are 17/10, with them at 13/10 for the 90 minute win.  The draw at 14/5 could be where the smart money goes.

Most of the good European results we have had in recent times have been due to the away performances - Groningen, Rijeka (1st time), Siroki Brijeg, Viking Stavanger - in fact only Glass' 5-1 win vs Häcken in 2021 can maybe count as a decent scalp where the Pittodrie game was where we did the business.

Hopefully we don't get a situation like Rijeka (2nd time) or Qarabag, where all energy is removed from the stadium very early in the course of events !