The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 2023/24

Frank Grimes

What a great trip to Frankfurt. The stadium is really impressive and we decided to go a little earlier and drink just outside the stadium - Germans know how to make it amazing match day experience. Square before was ace with the lot of wedding getting cheered by the Aberdeen fans. 

Only negative was how rough the area next to Hauptbahnhof is - few people got robbed unfortunately.

That game shows Aberdeen are a decent side and Robson can set up a team. Hopefully we can kick on from here.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I see the point though. Huge credit for the performance and not going to criticise them for not taking a point, but ultimately it’s a defeat and come tomorrow evening if we’ve turned in another insipid domestic performance then it’s completely forgotten and all the goodwill is gone. 

Agreed. 

3 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Ticket purchased for PAOK... anyone else attending?

That's me just got mine as well, flying from Bratislava on the Monday and returning Friday so making a week of it as I've holidays to take. £58 return for me so can't complain!

Would advise everyone looking into accommodation to do so quickly, it's off-season and you can get some cracking deals. I've an apartment to myself right in the centre of town for £40 a night.

On 22/09/2023 at 11:34, True Saintee said:

What’s the city of Frankfurt like then dons fans? Booked up for June for the Euros. Heard it’s a bit of a dump since booking. 

Only around the train station area it has some good bars but lots of junkies the city itself is lovely it’s like any Scottish city I suppose good and bad areas 

On to the match where it looks like we simply have to win to keep our hopes in the group alive.  

HJK are a bit of an unknown quantity.  They look set to win the league in Finland again, but then our only opponents from that league, RoPs in 2019, were probably Scottish Championship standard at best.  

They were leading at HT vs PAOK on Matchday 1 and it's a bit of a shame they didn't hang on for a point.  I also note they had a free weekend to prepare for this one.

Bet365 have us at 4/5.  Draw 11/4.  Away win 3/1.  They are much less fancied by the bookies than Häcken were at Pittodrie.

Any kind of win will do here.

52 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

On to the match where it looks like we simply have to win to keep our hopes in the group alive.  

HJK are a bit of an unknown quantity.  They look set to win the league in Finland again, but then our only opponents from that league, RoPs in 2019, were probably Scottish Championship standard at best.  

They were leading at HT vs PAOK on Matchday 1 and it's a bit of a shame they didn't hang on for a point.  I also note they had a free weekend to prepare for this one.

Bet365 have us at 4/5.  Draw 11/4.  Away win 3/1.  They are much less fancied by the bookies than Häcken were at Pittodrie.

Any kind of win will do here.

Have they just pumped the Finnish Rangers* resulting in a managerial sacking, outing of horrible nazi scum and a complete "point and laugh" by the "eyes of the world".

Presumably not, so f**k them, f**k their beautiful lakes and f**k Jean Sibelius.

COYFR

ETA abuse of Sibelius retracted.  A step too far.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkay

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Does anyone know anything about this Helsinki team? I literally know nothing so have no idea what to expect. 

Regulars in Europe, but a mixed bag in recent times.  Extra time to beat Larne is a minter, but knocking out Maribor, Silkeborg and Farul Constanta suggests they have something about them.

image.png.265fe6306d085250f40c20a51db2cd1a.png

A must win on Matchday 2 seems pretty silly but has that feel for it if we have any aspirations in this competition. I think we will get the job done tonight - 3-1 win. 

Interested to see the line up and if Robson tweaks the midfield again, possibly Barron and Duk back in for Polvara and Clarkson maybe? Good to have options anyway. 

Can see it being a nervy affair until we seal it when Sokler makes it certain in the last 10! 

COYR 

On 04/10/2023 at 08:59, Dons_1988 said:

Does anyone know anything about this Helsinki team? I literally know nothing so have no idea what to expect. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66999379

Decent article on BBC about our chances. Depending on which version of our defence turns up it could be a high scoring game 

HJK's forward Hassane Bandé is an interesting one.  Very good spell as a teenager in Belgium led to a move to Ajax for €9m.  Since then he suffered a bad ankle injury and has been playing in Croatia, Switzerland and France.  Still only 24.

From the UEFA show ahead of a nice wee interview with Neil Simpson.

The eight sides in this season's Conference that have played in European finals.  Think only half this number managed to win though.

image.png.7e453b9bf0ddcfa59222158156af4661.png

Agree with everyone on here that if we have any hope at all of being second, we must win tonight. Personally, I've less lofty ambitions and am just hoping that we can pick up a few points for extra revenue. That said. I'd like to think that we have a decent chance to win tonight but definitely not going to be anything like straightforward.