The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 2023/24

Frank Grimes

Frustrating not to win, especially in the context of PAOK beating Frankfurt. I thought we showed plenty of heart to fight back and get the draw, but just not enough composure or guile to win it. It is an easy thing to say, but we do need to be more clinical. It was a similar story against Hacken, I suppose - we felt like the better side for decent periods of the game, but lacked killer instinct. It also felt at the end like we got a bit desperate and reacted to the crowd rather than just showing a bit of patience and trying to work good openings rather than force them. 

It felt like they benefitted from the long stoppages in the first half, too, and we didn't recapture the momentum we started with until shortly before the equaliser. 

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

You'd have enjoyed the comments on Sportsound.

I heard them in the car. Found it strange that they were so effusive in their praise for us. 

I just felt Helsinki were quite happy with the way that game went for the vast majority of it, they seemed relatively comfortable. And they’re really not that good a side. 

Disappointed not to win that. For all the moaning about how badly we played, I didn't think that we did, we made some excellent chances which we have to take. Off the top of my head, Miovski header in first half just past the post, Duk header in the first half when a slight flick would have put it over the keeper, Shinnie fresh air shot in second half and Duk one on one in second half. All great chances which you have to take. I thought the defence played ok, particularly Rubezic, Shinnie was good, McGrath was ok, but Clarkson was off it. Great goal by Miovski but how many games has Duk cost us this season by missing countless one on ones. Not awful tonight by any means, but please, please take our chances.

Disappointing result. I think we gave them too much respect. Finnish Champions but from yesterday's display they appeared a mediocre side. 

Ruby played very well and deserves credit for his recent upturn in form. McGrath looked good in spells.

Miovski is on another level. On current form, Bojan is up there with Celtic's Kyogo Furuhashi.

We all know Clarkson is a good player just needs time on the sidelines to build himself back up. Barron is a must start for Sunday.

Duk takes his chance we win. Was nearly as bad a miss as the Hacken match.

We didn't lose. We are getting better. Onto Sunday.

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Disappointed not to win that. For all the moaning about how badly we played, I didn't think that we did, we made some excellent chances which we have to take. Off the top of my head, Miovski header in first half just past the post, Duk header in the first half when a slight flick would have put it over the keeper, Shinnie fresh air shot in second half and Duk one on one in second half. All great chances which you have to take. I thought the defence played ok, particularly Rubezic, Shinnie was good, McGrath was ok, but Clarkson was off it. Great goal by Miovski but how many games has Duk cost us this season by missing countless one on ones. Not awful tonight by any means, but please, please take our chances.

I didn’t think we were awful, I just didn’t think we were very good. And yes we could have won if moments had gone for us but honestly I felt that Helsinki controlled long spells of it without the ball and we just seemed very flat. 

We lacked a lot of quality and guile to open them up and we did resort to very direct tactics at times. 

Maybe that’s a miserable way of looking at it, but I don’t think I am one of those that’s immediately negative, it’s just how I felt watching it. 

Eta- for a dose of positive, I thought Barron improved us a lot when he arrived. 

Edited by Dons_1988

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Rangers created some clear cut chances on Saturday yet we all laughed at how bad they were...

HJK let us have the majority of the ball because they know we struggle to play with it. Almost everyone on here has said that's the case so it was clear as day last night.

We then sat back and gave the ball to them because it's the only way we really know how to play. That obviously went nowhere because they were happy to have it and do nothing with it.

Our best chances came from hopeful punts that they really should have dealt with.

38 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I didn’t think we were awful, I just didn’t think we were very good. And yes we could have won if moments had gone for us but honestly I felt that Helsinki controlled long spells of it without the ball and we just seemed very flat. 

We lacked a lot of quality and guile to open them up and we did resort to very direct tactics at times. 

Maybe that’s a miserable way of looking at it, but I don’t think I am one of those that’s immediately negative, it’s just how I felt watching it. 

Eta- for a dose of positive, I thought Barron improved us a lot when he arrived. 

Totally agree with you about Barron. I thought he could have been on at half time for Clarkson.

I thought the Dons were really poor last night but when I got in my car and put on the radio I thought I had been at the wrong game - seemed to be a consensus that we played really well but just didnt get the breaks.

Helsinki were also a pretty poor team who thought they were Man City playing out from the back but ultimately always hoofing it up the park.  We needed to close them down a lot quicker and mistakes would have led to plenty opportunities. 

There was no real width from the Dons.......almost a full house for a European night, look around the ground (ignoring the big Dick) and the stadium was almost exactly how it was in the eighties......alas no Peter Weir to take on defenders and whip in dangerous cross balls........

33 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I thought the Dons were really poor last night but when I got in my car and put on the radio I thought I had been at the wrong game - seemed to be a consensus that we played really well but just didnt get the breaks.

Helsinki were also a pretty poor team who thought they were Man City playing out from the back but ultimately always hoofing it up the park.  We needed to close them down a lot quicker and mistakes would have led to plenty opportunities. 

There was no real width from the Dons.......almost a full house for a European night, look around the ground (ignoring the big Dick) and the stadium was almost exactly how it was in the eighties......alas no Peter Weir to take on defenders and whip in dangerous cross balls........

Exactly how I saw it.

Hayes made a difference with his pace and directness but the final ball was poor.

We're playing a system which doesn't suit the wing backs we have. No real pace to get in behind and they are expected to do too much IMO.

Can only imagine the sportsound comments come from an inferiority complex of Scottish teams competing at this level. The fact we came out of a game with a point and a tenuous hard luck story seems to be enough to say we were brilliant. Reality is that’s just not a very good side we played. A limited, but well organised unit who were a bit more savvy than us. 

32 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Can only imagine the sportsound comments come from an inferiority complex of Scottish teams competing at this level. The fact we came out of a game with a point and a tenuous hard luck story seems to be enough to say we were brilliant. Reality is that’s just not a very good side we played. A limited, but well organised unit who were a bit more savvy than us. 

Playing to the perceptions of the dons fans and what they expect, the dandies should be beaten the finnish champions but your expectations won't allow you to think that.
I bit like the mentality of being the 3rd best team in Scotland.

Just now, willywastecoat said:

Playing to the perceptions of the dons fans and what they expect, the dandies should be beaten the finnish champions but your expectations won't allow you to think that.
I bit like the mentality of being the 3rd best team in Scotland.

Thanks Willy, but we all think we should have beaten them. Enjoy your weekend. 

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Were you co comms on Sportsound?