Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

I think he’s had a fair crack at it and I don’t see us improving under him. Thanks for getting us to two competitions but I’d be parting ways. 

The whole set up needs a bit of freshening up. Few players aging and I think it’s just a bit stale. 

Just now, Aim Here said:

I think it was more to do with pulling McGinn off than swapping Adams for Shankland that was the cause. Much as his Jambo proclivities annoy me, the tefal-headed-one was no worse than Che. McGiinn was often on the verge of making something happen tonight.

Aye I wasnae being that serious. 

If any c**t should have come off then McGregor who was absolutely fucking shite all tournament.  Over rated pish. 

2 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

We have a top half Premiership level midfield, and a Championship level squad everywhere else. Apart from goalkeepers, who are all Highland League.

Better forward players mean we score the one or two goals that would see us through.

What do Hungary have?

9 minutes ago, Kadouken_ said:

He’s just a coward. 

People really watching this tournament full of small teams having a go and playing good football and thinking ‘let’s get another Scottish manager’ is the answer. 

This, this, this.Pleeeeeeeeaaaaase!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I think we have different ideas of success.

Being the worst team at 2 euros with the lowest shot/goal count in history doesn't cut it for me. But I'm glad someone is happy.

I think over the course he has been successful, you think otherwise.

I don't think we'll get anyone better than Clarke, you think otherwise .

Agree to disagree?

6 minutes ago, Kadouken_ said:

Get a modern manager in and build a team with 2028 in mind. Trying to go again with this squad for another campaign is just kicking the can down the road at this point. 

About 15 of this squad need told to get to f**k and never selected again. 

Get Doak involved from the off, build the midfield around Gilmour and Ferguson. 

Get the likes of Miller and Conway as much experience as possible. 

It's the same bollocks that revolves around decade after decade 

I had lose,  draw, lose in the score predicter at work 

We're not capable mentally of success 

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

What do Hungary have?

Some English chap who plays for Barnsley and a replacement forward who looked like he competes in worlds strongest man? 

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

With the exception of Strachan in 2016 (where we came quite close) he's had the massive advantage of having 24 team Euros. The fact we failed so badly to qualify for the World Cup which hasn't expanded until now suggests that qualifying for the major tournaments is more down to tournament expansion than us making huge improvements under Clarke. Our performances in both the tournaments further suggest this. We reached Euro 92 which contained 8 teams, and Euro 96 with 16, so reaching the last 24 before getting swatted aside in the tournaments themselves isn't anything to be particularly impressed by, and is not comparable to reaching previous tournaments.

If you look at the qualifying groups of the Euros we missed out on after 96 - we’d have qualified for 2000, 2004 and 2008 if they were 24 team tournaments.

Admittedly it isn’t a flawless logic as things could have worked out differently, but it’s the best one available.

Our qualifying for 2020 was through the back door and on the back of a really poor performance against Israel. 2024 was obviously really impressive to start and deserves credit but we’ve been utter shite since qualifying.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The injuries thing is way overblown. Ferguson never got a kick under Clarke and wouldn't have been any more than a brief sub. I'm not convinced Dykes would have started, even if he would have when you look at how we play he wouldn't have made much/any difference. Hickey is the one real loss, Patterson as back-up means we were basically missing 1 player from our starting 11. It's nothing that every other nation doesn’t have to deal with. The overall style of play and tactics was the issue.

Bringing on Ferguson tonight and against Switzerland over Armstrong and McLean respectively would have been much more effective in either game.

Dykes would have definitely stared against Germany given it’s pretty obvious Clark was aiming to set up similar to the Spain game at Hampden, his physicality would have given the Germany defence more to think about.

Yes Hickey and Patterson is only losing ‘1 player from out starting 11’ but as I’ve said that’s both our starting right backs and puts us down to a compete haddy like Ralton, as said most nations would see some drop off going down to their third choice right back. 

13 minutes ago, Kadouken_ said:

He’s just a coward. 

People really watching this tournament full of small teams having a go and playing good football and thinking ‘let’s get another Scottish manager’ is the answer. 

I can't get the vision of him punching the air at full time against Switzerland and the players looking absolutely gutted out my head

6 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

What do Hungary have?

A team that's better than the sum of its parts? 

I didn't think Hungary were that good but they got shots away when they got near the box, were solid defensively and looked dangerous on the break. 

Just now, Spyro said:

I can't get the vision of him punching the air at full time against Switzerland and the players looking absolutely gutted out my head

His mentality and tactics just go against what most of our key players are used to. 

It was so fucking obvious tonight that the midfield were told to play it safe and not take any risks. It completely defeats the purpose of having McGregor and Gilmour as your midfield two when they’re getting on the ball and trying to break lines and attack straight away every week at club level. 

As a country we just need someone in the mould of a Bielsa who’s going to come in and completely rip everything up and do it his way and not give a f**k about anyone who thinks any different. 

I dare say in a decade we’ll still be saying all this though after Moyes and McInnes have had their shot at the job. 

Just now, FK1Bairn said:

A team that's better than the sum of its parts? 

I didn't think Hungary were that good but they got shots away when they got near the box, were solid defensively and looked dangerous on the break. 

Could it be that they are simply set up better? 

I have always supported Clarke even after euro 2020 but no excuses after that tonight

he must go now

Not a fan of moyes as he would continue the negative football

need a more positive manager in to better utilise the talent we have

2 minutes ago, gerrymcc1978 said:

Sick to death of the mentality it’s too much for us to have a go earlier than 70-80 minutes . 

itll never change 

You are right mate. I dont know how people as long in the tooth like Clarke can be so naive and can't see what is needed or at least we need to try something different. 

3 minutes ago, gerrymcc1978 said:

Sick to death of the mentality it’s too much for us to have a go earlier than 70-80 minutes . 

itll never change 

I'm sitting listening Stephen O'Donnell justify this on BBC Scotland. So depressing.