Steve Clarke

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

People seem to forget, but there was a period of a couple of years where Hutton was legitimately one of the scariest attacking full-backs in world football.

The Office Thank You GIF

I tell this story til I'm blue in the face, but during that game against Italy in 2007 Lippi made two substitutions (of the 3) and a further tactical change (putting Di Natale on him) to try and stop Hutton from bombing forward. He couldn't. Hutton was absolutely unplayable that day. Honestly if it weren't for horrendous injuries he would have went to the top. So many games you'd see him making 40-50 yards with the ball, sometimes running through the midfield with it. He's my favourite Scotland player not currently playing. Bloody loved him.

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I’m all ears.

Sides in the 80s and 90s were comparable to what we currently have.

The depth we now have is encouraging, but we need to achieve more, for longer, in order to justify the hyperbole littering this thread.

10 hours ago, Comrie said:

I was thinking this in my head the other day, but was going from post Craig Brown to roughly when John McGinn broke through and the only players I could think of who'd potentially get into our squads were:

McFadden

Miller
Anya

Darren Fletcher

Scott Brown

Goram, Gough, Collins, Fletcher, Barry Ferguson, McCallister and McFadden would either start  or substantially improve the squad.  I think his off the field stuff makes folk forget quite how brilliant Andy Goram was.

41 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Goram, Gough, Collins, Fletcher, Barry Ferguson, McCallister and McFadden would either start  or substantially improve the squad.  I think his off the field stuff makes folk forget quite how brilliant Andy Goram was.

McFadden instead of super John ?!

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Hmmm?

He was reasonably solid.  I'm struggling to recall outstanding performances though.  

I cant remember exactly when, but I've got memories of an away game vs Greece where he was just absolutely ridiculously good.

I think Craig Gordon was a brilliant keeper, but Goram is the best Scotland keeper I can remember.

9 hours ago, velo army said:

V Holland in Euro 96 immediately springs to mind.

Collins made the best save in that game.

I'll visit highlights for a look though.  I missed most of the first half of that game because we had a meeting at work that, inexplicably, still went ahead.  In fact, it was prolonged by people actually asking questions and raising points at the end.  My seethe was off the scale.

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Hmmm?

He was reasonably solid.  I'm struggling to recall outstanding performances though.  

That's because there weren't any. In fact I would struggle to name one outstanding Scottish international goalkeeper performance in my lifetime. All I remember are the disasters.... Stewart Kennedy at Wembley...Alan Rough on occasions too numerous to mention......Jim 'Jumpin' Jack Flap' Leighton....Craig Gordon's probably been the best but not a high bar.

3 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

That's because there weren't any. In fact I would struggle to name one outstanding Scottish international goalkeeper performance in my lifetime. All I remember are the disasters.... Stewart Kennedy at Wembley...Alan Rough on occasions too numerous to mention......Jim 'Jumpin' Jack Flap' Leighton....Craig Gordon's probably been the best but not a high bar.

You do remember our play off against Serbia right?

Scott Brown was an excellent player btw. Its bizarre the blinkers some folk have on when it comes to Scottish players at Celtic or Rangers. See also Callum McGregor.

I think people are overestimating the quality of our current players/underestimating the quality of old ones. No doubt whatsoever that we're a far better team than at any point in the past 20 years, however the likes of peak Ferguson, Brown, McArthur, Kenny Miller, Fletcher(both), Snodgrass, Hutton, Naismith, Mulgrew, Morrison, Maloney would walk into this squad, on an individual basis. 

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

Scott Brown was an excellent player btw. Its bizarre the blinkers some folk have on when it comes to Scottish players at Celtic or Rangers. See also Callum McGregor.

I think people are overestimating the quality of our current players/underestimating the quality of old ones. No doubt whatsoever that we're a far better team than at any point in the past 20 years, however the likes of peak Ferguson, Brown, McArthur, Kenny Miller, Fletcher(both), Snodgrass, Hutton, Naismith, Mulgrew, Morrison, Maloney would walk into this squad, on an individual basis. 

Squad, yes. Starting 11? I'm not convinced it's that clear cut for all of them.