Steve Clarke

12 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Jim Leighton vs Sweden at Ibrox in WC98 qualifiers, they absolutely pummeled us and we held on to win 1-0 with Leighton making save after save

Greatest goalkeeping performance I've ever seen!

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not how I remember it. Were they? Was Boyd not normally a full back in a back four?

I didn't. I had it in my head Iran was first. Was Peru first? If so then that's the first one I remember. Whatever, my first memories of the Scotland team were the three games in Argentina.

Likewise, still recovering 

On 27/06/2023 at 12:52, velo army said:

He's my favourite Scotland player not currently playing. Bloody loved him.

No problem with Hutton, and you do your thing, but that's a bit of a stretch for me.

Mind this guy always turned up and always burst an absolute gut, the sort of things folk are now congratulating the Aussie "Tat-with-a-Heid" for:

His heider against Germany was a beautiful thing that all strikers should learn.

Edited by ancientnoise

45 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

No problem with Hutton, and you do your thing, but that's a bit of a stretch for me.

Mind this guy always turned up and always burst an absolute gut, the sort of things folk are now congratulating the Aussie "Tat-with-a-Heid" for:

His heider against Germany was a beautiful thing that all strikers should learn.

His header against Italy 🤌

Him and dykes are one and the same for me, work rate, determination and pure nuisance value make them so important in their respective teams.

I should also clarify, I'll be 38 in September and the first Scotland game I remember watching was against the CIS at Euro 92.  

We have by far and away the best team/squad at the moment from that 92-23 timeframe.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is fucking mental IMO.

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I should also clarify, I'll be 38 in September and the first Scotland game I remember watching was against the CIS at Euro 92.  

We have by far and away the best team/squad at the moment from that 92-23 timeframe.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is fucking mental IMO.

Ok, so you weren't actually talking about your lifetime at all then?  You were instead slicing off almost 20%.

We are looking stronger than we have in recent decades.  However, any potential we identify, really does need fulfilling.  That's not happened yet.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 29/06/2023 at 01:10, Lurkst said:

Greatest goalkeeping performance I've ever seen!

a few people mention Leighton in that game. I don't remember him making that many saves - the 7 minute highlight reel confirms that (maybe a few saves cropped by the format or some not included).

https://www.facebook.com/scotlandnationalteam/videos/scotland-1-0-sweden-10-november-1997/663004832112616/

a few good punches to clear and a point blank save around 4.30 mark......

18 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

a few people mention Leighton in that game. I don't remember him making that many saves - the 7 minute highlight reel confirms that (maybe a few saves cropped by the format or some not included).

https://www.facebook.com/scotlandnationalteam/videos/scotland-1-0-sweden-10-november-1997/663004832112616/

a few good punches to clear and a point blank save around 4.30 mark......

Yes, I think when a side achieves a 'backs to the wall clean sheet' there can be a tendency to elevate the goalkeeper's performance in the memory.

I think something similar happened in the citing of Goram's display against the Dutch at Euro 96.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I think when a side achieves a 'backs to the wall clean sheet' there can be a tendency to elevate the goalkeeper's performance in the memory.

I think something similar happened in the citing of Goram's display against the Dutch at Euro 96.

I was there. The last 10-20 mins of that game was peppered with the chant "There's only one Jim Leighton", so it's not simply a rose-tinted post-hoc memory thing.

That final phase of the game when the Swedes started laying siege is when he really excelled (for the first 60/70 mins he was just steady)

Maybe not "hunners" of saves but a few very good ones and - as the commentator in the highlights clip mentions - some very good positioning to make things difficult for their more gilt-edged chances.

There certainly was an element of shite Swedish finishing involved too, but all in all when we were coming away from the stadium, all we were talking about was Leighton's performance and of course the McGinlay goal.

Leighton certainly played well against the Swedes BUT he was also a total nightmare that day as anyone at the game will remember. He struggled to reach the half way line with his kicking ,so the ball was coming straight back into our box . Good keeper but awful with dead balls and clearances . 

18 hours ago, Big Ally said:

Leighton certainly played well against the Swedes BUT he was also a total nightmare that day as anyone at the game will remember. He struggled to reach the half way line with his kicking ,so the ball was coming straight back into our box . Good keeper but awful with dead balls and clearances . 

As I say, i was at the game. I don't remember the shitey kicking. Not saying you're wrong - but would have to see proper footage to re-assess.

Edited by Gordopolis

On 01/07/2023 at 07:21, Monkey Tennis said:

John Collins' save was the best of the lot in the Holland match!

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

All you need to know about Jim Leighton is 40 clean sheets in 91 caps 44%

Buffon 76 in 172 -44%

Lloris 62 in 137 - 45%

Neuer 47 in 109 - 43%

Cech 56 in 124 - 45%

If it wasnt for the back pass rule he would probably still be number 1.

Those are impressive stats, especially given that most of those he's compared with played for genuine powers.

Am I right in saying though, that Leighton only kept one clean sheet in nine tournament games, the '86 goalless draw with Uruguay?

I wonder how his broader goals conceded per game ratio, would compare with those for his illustrious colleagues.

On 01/07/2023 at 14:12, Gordopolis said:

I was there. The last 10-20 mins of that game was peppered with the chant "There's only one Jim Leighton", so it's not simply a rose-tinted post-hoc memory thing.

That final phase of the game when the Swedes started laying siege is when he really excelled (for the first 60/70 mins he was just steady)

Maybe not "hunners" of saves but a few very good ones and - as the commentator in the highlights clip mentions - some very good positioning to make things difficult for their more gilt-edged chances.

There certainly was an element of shite Swedish finishing involved too, but all in all when we were coming away from the stadium, all we were talking about was Leighton's performance and of course the McGinlay goal.

and the dummy by Darren Jackson ?