2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Are BoD an outside bet for the title?  They've got a really good squad this year.  

I definitely think they’ll be top 5. I think Broch, Buckie, Brora and Brechin all have better squads than them. If they can keep the same home form as last year, though, they’ve got every chance. 

12 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I definitely think they’ll be top 5. I think Broch, Buckie, Brora and Brechin all have better squads than them. If they can keep the same home form as last year, though, they’ve got every chance. 

I thought Brora would win the title but I'm not so sure now.  Brechin are weaker than last season for sure, Fraserburgh will need to improve a lot, Buckie are just Buckie, they aren't great to watch but they get the job done a lot of the time, although they're prone to the odd really weird defeat. You're right about the home form of BoD, a lot of teams go there beaten before the game even starts.

That was very easy for BOD against a Nairn team that offered pretty much nothing going forward. Carnihan, the young right back signed from ICT had a bit of a nightmare for the first two goals and their third goal was a lovely finish from the halfway line after the keeper was caught miles out of his box after a duffed clearance.

A special mention to the very excitable Italian referee who at least provided some entertainment.

I could see Fraserburgh doing well this season, scored 10 and conceded 1 after 2 games. Brora don't seem to have done much recruiting over the summer, signed an aging Paul Brindle from Clach who rarely played more than the last 15 minutes for us, scored a few admittedly. Buckie haven't started convincingly, were lucky to get 3 points at Grant Street. Brechin look like their energy's sapped after all their League and Challenge cup action preseason, a few days off now before Brora at home on Saturday which could be revealing. Don't know much about BoD but they've got an easy run of fixtures up until Buckie at home in mid September so they might build up a bit of momentum at the top. I'd still put Brechin as favourites for Champions, mainly because of their budget. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I could see Fraserburgh doing well this season, scored 10 and conceded 1 after 2 games. Brora don't seem to have done much recruiting over the summer, signed an aging Paul Brindle from Clach who rarely played more than the last 15 minutes for us, scored a few admittedly. Buckie haven't started convincingly, were lucky to get 3 points at Grant Street. Brechin look like their energy's sapped after all their League and Challenge cup action preseason, a few days off now before Brora at home on Saturday which could be revealing. Don't know much about BoD but they've got an easy run of fixtures up until Buckie at home in mid September so they might build up a bit of momentum at the top. I'd still put Brechin as favourites for Champions, mainly because of their budget. 

Brindle was probably man of the match against Aberdeen Colts the other night.  Most of the stuff Brora created came through him.  Pity they couldn't finish a wank. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

In fairness, the two wins for Broch have come against a hapless Lossie side and an Inverurie team that looked to have recruited pretty grimly until signing Paul Coutts yesterday. That being said, I do agree that Broch will do well this season. Grant Campbell coming back out of retirement should give them a huge boost. 

Edited by Matty-RCFC

Its gonna be a real tussle this season and for me will come down to the head to heads between the top sides.

Pleased Vale have got off to a reasonable start,no room for complacency now with licensed Lochee United off to a blistering start in the Midland League. 

On 07/08/2023 at 10:41, TheScarf said:

Are BoD an outside bet for the title?  They've got a really good squad this year.  

Was at their first two league games and the friendly against Peterhead. Hard to tell as wasn’t the toughest completions. Strong looking team but will judge them after playing one the other title contenders 

I was at Nairn v Rothes last night and the vistors were well worth their 2-0 win. Slicker passing, better movement, great delivery. Nairn were their usual selves; slow build up play, strikers always with their back to goal, and never scoring in a million years. 

@GNU_Linux get that league table up!

Attended Buckie v Forres last nigh. The Can Cans were the better side in the first half hour, before Buckie started to get a foothold. Spider obviously tore them apart at half time and they came out a different team in the second half - on another day they could’ve had 5 in that second half. I was reasonably impressed with Forres, though, and think that they may take some scalps this season. I thought Dylan Lawrence, on loan from Elgin, was particularly impressive. 

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Nairn were their usual selves; slow build up play, strikers always with their back to goal, and never scoring in a million years. 

Clach were much the same up in Wick, kept possession for most of the game but never looked like scoring. Wick look like they've finally got a team coming together.

4 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Attended Buckie v Forres last nigh. The Can Cans were the better side in the first half hour, before Buckie started to get a foothold. Spider obviously tore them apart at half time and they came out a different team in the second half - on another day they could’ve had 5 in that second half. I was reasonably impressed with Forres, though, and think that they may take some scalps this season. I thought Dylan Lawrence, on loan from Elgin, was particularly impressive. 

Aye that’s a fair summary. The Jags had chances in the first half but Forres thwarted them. Second half we took on star striker Josh Peters and he was brilliant 3-1 a fair score in the end. 
Forres did well and will pose problems for the good teams we have had a really good start and fancy us strongly to continue that at Formartine on Saturday