2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

15 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Are you saying that in hope or do you mean there are genuine plans to install a 3g in time for next season?

I think our club are hoping to submit an application  in January . We are heavily involved with our local community clubs and will be looking to share with them as well as being available for general public use.  

With my greenkeeping background it took a lot of persuasion to sway my opinion away from our grass pitch but  it makes more sense both financially and playability wise to go down this route . 

10 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I think our club are hoping to submit an application  in January . We are heavily involved with our local community clubs and will be looking to share with them as well as being available for general public use.  

With my greenkeeping background it took a lot of persuasion to sway my opinion away from our grass pitch but  it makes more sense both financially and playability wise to go down this route . 

Fab news overall for the club.

Always sad to see another grass pitch go, but at non league level (and even above) it just makes sense.  The near guarantee of games going ahead (a rarity in the HFL) combined with the extra revenue from renting it out just makes sense.

And arguably the most important aspect is the community element - being able to bring is so many local sports teams/clubs under the one umbrella to create a pathway.

Best of luck - hope the application goes well.

Draw was a fair result. Was amazed the game went ahead, was horrible conditions for both teams. We had good chance cleared off the line first half and Clach had a good chance 2nd half which the clach player fluffed. Was not many chances in the game.

Edited by Vale Vale Vale

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The playoff deadlines are ridiculously early imo, push them into May.

They are already timed alongside the equivalent playoffs in the tiers above the week before the Scottish Cup Final... Unless whoever finishes bottom of SPFL2 is prepared to sit about for 1 or 2 weeks twiddling their thumbs they can start no later.

Of course if there was automatic promotion there'd be no need; even automatic relegation with playoff for promotion could buy 2+ weeks.

30 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They are already timed alongside the equivalent playoffs in the tiers above the week before the Scottish Cup Final... Unless whoever finishes bottom of SPFL2 is prepared to sit about for 1 or 2 weeks twiddling their thumbs they can start no later.

Of course if there was automatic promotion there'd be no need; even automatic relegation with playoff for promotion could buy 2+ weeks.

I'm thinking more about missing out on a few sunny days and evenings of football after a long winter than the logistics of getting the pyramid up and running. I'd rather club 42 paid the price of inconvenience rather than every club in tiers 5 and 6 though.

On 24/12/2023 at 13:52, TheScarf said:

Saturday/Wednesday/Saturday for a few weeks I’d say.

This is what Brechin had for a good few weeks in the latter part of last season.  Forget how many weeks that went on for exactly, but somebody else will probably know...

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I'm thinking more about missing out on a few sunny days and evenings of football after a long winter than the logistics of getting the pyramid up and running. I'd rather club 42 paid the price of inconvenience rather than every club in tiers 5 and 6 though.

The clubs in tier 5 and 6 can set up their league and 14 different diddy cups fixture list in any way they wish to maximise 'a few sunny days and evenings' of football. They just have to conclude their league campaign in time to contest a play-off in line with the SPFL, who play two extra league games as it is. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

This is what Brechin had for a good few weeks in the latter part of last season.  Forget how many weeks that went on for exactly, but somebody else will probably know...

Brechin played the last 5 midweeks to get finished last season, from Wed 22nd Mar to Wed 19th Apr, having also played Wed 22nd Feb (and been due to play Wed 8th Mar but got postponed).

Had any game after Sat 18th Mar been postponed... or they reached League Cup Final... they'd have needed a Monday somewhere.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The clubs in tier 5 and 6 can set up their league and 14 different diddy cups fixture list in any way they wish to maximise 'a few sunny days and evenings' of football. They just have to conclude their league campaign in time to contest a play-off in line with the SPFL, who play two extra league games as it is. 

Said with the sarcastic eloquence of Mr Cockwomble himself. 

1 hour ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Right there wae u hedgey,the bold VT talking like he's an officiando of Highland League football,do one sunshine.

Objective facts apply to the Highland League as much as any other level of Scottish football. Thanks for playing anyway.