2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

On 12/01/2024 at 17:42, HibeeJibee said:

On 12/01/2024 at 21:24, Moorie said:

How many more are going to drop from that schedule in February too

Brora v Cove snowed off:

420514035_10230847011336219_439681365255

They try again on Tuesday, skittling Strathspey v Brora.

Even assuming it goes ahead and Brora lose: on paper they now have 21 league + 2 cup = 23 games to play in 12 weeks.

Edited by HibeeJibee

7 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

The rapid thaw since yesterday morning probably means that most pitches in the HL are now playable and roads are clear today.

The problem will be grounds are totally waterlogged now

At some point, questions are going to have to be asked of certain clubs who are clearly making no provision for making sure they can get games on by looking after their pitches while at the same time ploughing fucking tons of loot into their first team. Not namBRORAing any naBUCKIEmes or anything, but fucking hell boys, get your act together. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

At some point, questions are going to have to be asked of certain clubs who are clearly making no provision for making sure they can get games on by looking after their pitches while at the same time ploughing fucking tons of loot into their first team. Not namBRORAing any naBUCKIEmes or anything, but fucking hell boys, get your act together. 

I know it's not the preference of players, but at some point the Highland League (and their Local Councils, where applicable) are going to have to learn to embrace 3G surfaces.

Great for the community and helping ensure games go ahead in inclement weather.

11 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

I know it's not the preference of players, but at some point the Highland League (and their Local Councils, where applicable) are going to have to learn to embrace 3G surfaces.

Great for the community and helping ensure games go ahead in inclement weather.

Not this weekend they werent

12 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

I know it's not the preference of players, but at some point the Highland League (and their Local Councils, where applicable) are going to have to learn to embrace 3G surfaces. Great for the community and helping ensure games go ahead in inclement weather.

% 3G pitches:

50%     Lowland
42%     SPFL (4 divisions)
32%     West of Scotland (5 divisions)
25%     South of Scotland
25%     Midland Juniors
21%     East of Scotland (4 divisions)
   8%     North Caledonian
   7%     North Juniors (2 divisions)
   6%     Highland

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

% 3G pitches:

50%     Lowland
25%     Midland Juniors
   8%     North Caledonian
   6%     Highland

The North Caley is probably more than that in that a few teams switch to hired caged plastic when the weather's poor. I'm amazed that the SPFL is 42%. I understand the logic for getting Saturday afternoon games played in the Highland League but I much prefer grass as a spectator. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

The North Caley is probably more than that in that a few teams switch to hired caged plastic when the weather's poor. I'm amazed that the SPFL is 42%. I understand the logic for getting Saturday afternoon games played in the Highland League but I much prefer grass as a spectator. 

North Caley only have Golspie and Fort William as licenced the original way.

On 19/01/2024 at 14:47, HibeeJibee said:

Brora v Cove snowed off:

They try again on Tuesday 23rd, skittling Strathspey v Brora.

Even assuming it goes ahead and Brora lose: on paper they now have 21 league + 2 cup = 23 games to play in 12 weeks.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9520nu47hu7vnpn3imt2cu

image.png.53915bca142288fd8bb6f13b5e052981.png

... skittling Wick v Brora.

On 21/01/2024 at 13:40, HibeeJibee said:

% 3G pitches:

50%     Lowland
25%     Midland Juniors
   8%     North Caledonian
   6%     Highland

In SPFL 1, it’s 90%, we have the only grass pitch in the league.

On 19/01/2024 at 14:47, HibeeJibee said:

Brora v Cove snowed off:
They try again on Tuesday, skittling Strathspey v Brora.

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

image.png.53915bca142288fd8bb6f13b5e052981.png
... skittling Wick v Brora.

Earlier today Strathspey v Brora was put back onto tomorrow night.

Howling gale maybe keeping pitch dry?!

Brechin just chugging along nicely whilst their rivals rack up the postponements and fixture backlog.  Surely it's their title even at this stage.

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Strathspey v Brora is off (again).

Next try Wed 7th Feb.

Brora now have 23 games to play in 23 dates (Sat + Wed)... assuming they lose to Cove on Tuesday... in practice Aberdeenshire Cup Final will surely move off Sat 20th Apr buying another 7 days for league games.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 21/01/2024 at 13:40, HibeeJibee said:

% 3G pitches:

50%     Lowland
25%     Midland Juniors
   8%     North Caledonian
   6%     Highland

Excellent informative graphic, he says much belatedly.

9 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Brechin just chugging along nicely whilst their rivals rack up the postponements and fixture backlog.  Surely it's their title even at this stage.

My sentiments exactly.  I suspect Buckie may have won the league (and still might) but all these games in hand are almost certain to take their toll. 

Also predicting Brora to finish 4th behind BOD once they've caught up with all their games in hand - round about the same time as the A9 dualling concludes!

1 hour ago, amigan said:

Can't believe Buckie are being written off here when they could go top if they win games in hand.  Even if they drop a few points they'll be very close to Brechin

Not sure I'm seeing much evidence, if indeed any, of Buckie being written off as such.

I literally said I had them as winning the league - and indeed that they still might, but I feared for them now due to the amount of games in hand.

Yes The scarf thought it might be Brechin's to lose but only because he too realised, quite correctly, that there were so many games in hand.

Look it may well happen, I've seen it a couple of times with Auchinleck Talbot who often had so many games in hand in the past primarily due to their cup successes and the like, so it can be done.

However, and I appreciate this is very anecdotal, but a neighbour of mine recently gave up playing non league football in is early 30's having played at a very good level for many years.  Why?  Literally because his calves couldn't take the backlog in the second half of the season - the constant strain of the Saturday/midweek cycle for around three months meant he couldn't go on.

This is what Buckie face now.  It would be an outstanding achievement if they went on to win the league, and again as I've said, it may very well happen.  But fearing that the vast amount of games in hand would likely take its toll is hardly the same as writing Buckie off - it's simply highlighting a realistic concern.

Incidentally, with all of the shenanigans in recent seasons of certain League 2 clubs attempting to curtail promotion for tier 5 sides combined with Brechin trying to gain access to the Lowland League, I suspect there wont be too many glum faces (outwith of Brechin itself) if Buckie do indeed go on to win the league.

You're very welcome to join the party if that is indeed what materialises.

Edited by Bundesliga Boy

16 hours ago, amigan said:

Can't believe Buckie are being written off here when they could go top if they win games in hand.  Even if they drop a few points they'll be very close to Brechin

Buckie still have to play us twice. Whoever wins them wins the league IMO