2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

Just now, Jimmy Shaker said:

You’re allowed to refere to FitbaNorth by name, cov. :lol:

😄 I didn't know if it was like the House of Commons where you can only refer to the House of Lords as "the other place".

20 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Supporting a big fish in a small pond has its own appeal. Let's be honest, it's half the appeal of the OF.

In this context, you see your team win more matches and trophies, and in contention for others. You'll almost never spend season after season grimly battling relegation and rarely seeing your team win or even score. You don't lose your Saturdays to travel, at a substantial cost too. You don't play the same teams 4 times a season. You don't pay higher ticket prices.

The appeal of non-league football is that it's not like the higher levels. 

Cups

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

A Buckie fan is telling me fans had an “open vote” about promotion to the SPFL and apparently they don’t want it. Not sure where the club stands on this. He’s complaining about the prospect of long journeys to away games and “mediocrity” in the SPFL. Sounds like he wants to support a big fish in a relatively small pond. Personally I can’t abide this weird mentality. 

Strange one. I'm long gone from the town but plenty folk I know who still go to games - home and away - seem excited about the prospect of playoffs and promotion etc. As am I and several other 'ex-pats' I keep in touch with. 

Is it a hangover maybe from years gone past when I know the Board were dead set against the idea. As Jimmy Shaker says they seem to have changed their tune now though...£££

Buckie fans ‘elsewhere’ always freak when there’s a chance they’re to turn over more than one page of their 1994 AA Big Book of Roads to find where they’re going if it’s south of Stonehaven. 

Curiously this didn’t seem to stop them all trundling down to Celtic Park with their new scarves, price tags still attached.

Who in their right mind wants to play Keith and Rothes forever?

Staying where they are earns them next to no prize money. League Two is a land of riches compared to stopping in the SHFL, and the suits know it. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Staying where they are earns them next to no prize money. League Two is a land of riches compared to stopping in the SHFL, and the suits know it. 

The Buckie fan I’ve conversed with refers to the SPFL as a “wasteland” and that Buckie would go bankrupt if they went up. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Supporting a big fish in a small pond has its own appeal.

As teams get more accustomed to the pyramid system it will longer be possible to be a big fish in a small pond. Any team opting for such a strategy will be overtaken by bigger fish desperate to escape the small pond.

19 minutes ago, Northboy said:

As teams get more accustomed to the pyramid system it will longer be possible to be a big fish in a small pond. Any team opting for such a strategy will be overtaken by bigger fish desperate to escape the small pond.

I'd be fine with that. If I wanted to support a 'big' club, I'd be supporting a 'big' club. Following a football club isn't the same thing from Celtic to Saltcoats Victoria, they're materially different ways to spend your time.

I'll accept it for internationals because they're infrequent but for all the many other games I go to, I don't want to have to sit in one seat for the whole game - or so much worse, for the whole season. I love sitting on a grassy banking on a fine summer evening while I watch a game, and move round to catch (or dodge) the sun. I don't want to be segregated from the opposition fans. I don't want a police presence and a load of commercial stewards, it just creates a hostile vibe. I want to be able to go to a game with a bottle of juice and not get treated like a criminal for it. I don't want my bag searched - or banned from bringing one, making long-distance trips by public transport a pain. I don't want to pay £4.50 for a deeply sh*t mass-produced pie and another £3 for watered-down postmix juice in a paper cup. And I sure as hell don't want to be paying well over £20 to watch a game.

For me, the things that come with the top end of the game make it not worth it. Each to their own, everyone's different and I'm not remotely judging people who are happy to take those things as part of following their team. But it's not for everyone and it's really, really unfair and mistaken to be judgmental or critical about that.

Edited by GordonS

I'd be fine with that. If I wanted to support a 'big' club, I'd be supporting a 'big' club. Following a football club isn't the same thing from Celtic to Saltcoats Victoria, they're materially different ways to spend your time.

I'll accept it for internationals because they're infrequent but for all the many other games I go to, I don't want to have to sit in one seat for the whole game - or so much worse, for the whole season. I love sitting on a grassy banking on a fine summer evening while I watch a game, and move round to catch (or dodge) the sun. I don't want to be segregated from the opposition fans. I don't want a police presence and a load of commercial stewards, it just creates a hostile vibe. I want to be able to go to a game with a bottle of juice and not get treated like a criminal for it. I don't want my bag searched - or banned from bringing one, making long-distance trips by public transport a pain. I don't want to pay £4.50 for a deeply sh*t mass-produced pie and another £3 for watered-down postmix juice in a paper cup. And I sure as hell don't want to be paying well over £20 to watch a game.

For me, the things that come with the top end of the game make it not worth it. Each to their own, everyone's different and I'm not remotely judging people who are happy to take those things as part of following their team. But it's not for everyone and it's really, really unfair and mistaken to be judgmental or critical about that.

There’s certainly bad things as a fan that you need to put up with playing at a higher tier but the entire point as a club is that you want to push yourself to be the best you can be. 

If you enjoy the non-league scene then fine, go watch clubs at that level, but if you actively don’t want that club to do well cos you think you won’t enjoy watching a higher level then I don’t think it’s right to say your a fan of that club.

FWIW nearly all your complaints don’t change between HL and league 2

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

There’s certainly bad things as a fan that you need to put up with playing at a higher tier but the entire point as a club is that you want to push yourself to be the best you can be. 

That's your opinion. It's not a fact, or the same for everyone else. To me the entire point is to enjoy it. I'll never understand the puce-faced stroke-dodgers screaming abuse every weekend. I can't understand what they're getting from the experience. I make more than my share of noise but there are some folk whose entire football life seems to be anger and frustration.

If you enjoy the non-league scene then fine, go watch clubs at that level, but if you actively don’t want that club to do well cos you think you won’t enjoy watching a higher level then I don’t think it’s right to say your a fan of that club.

With respect that's batshit mental. I want my club to win every game I go to, but I know they'll never reach the ranks of full-time professional football and that's fine with me.

You don't get to decide what makes someone a fan and what doesn't. I suspect I'm pretty typical of a fan of a non-league club.

And are you seriously telling me you'd prefer your club to reach the level where they're charging over £60 a game, a quarter of the ground is occupied by tourists and the whole thing is arranged for TV than be where they are now? Everyone has their line.

FWIW nearly all your complaints don’t change between HL and league 2

I didn't say anything specifically about L2. Though FWIW I don't fancy paying £18 to sit in a one-stand ground and watch the likes of East Fife or playing the same clubs 4 times a season. Each to their own though, that's the point.

Even if the money is if no relevance to the support, it’s got to be worth the novelty of going up even if it’s just for a season. I’m very sure Brora have long regretted not managing to follow through on their Montrose double header.

And FFS, Buckie could yet head into an SPFLLT which has Elgin, Forfar and Peterhead in it. If Stranraer were to go down at their expense, I dunno how much more miles they’d end up doing a season. Not enough to justify Buckie fans googling if they’ve to wind on their watches when they pass south of Stirling, I’d imagine. 

There’s some bizarre folk in their number, certainly. 

Sadly for those who are scared of the south, some of the Buckie squad are young, have a broader experience of other clubs, and are - when not baring their arses to Clach, Lossie and Vale - quite professional in their behaviour, and may want more out of their career than playing in Banff and Grantown forever more. 

I did see the improvement Cove had to make to make it through the playoffs at the third attempt, and Buckie aren’t anywhere near where Cove were when they blitzed East Kilbride and Berwick, however. 

1.To me the entire point is to enjoy it.

With respect that's batshit mental. I want my club to win every game I go to, but I know they'll never reach the ranks of full-time professional football and that's fine with me.

2. You don't get to decide what makes someone a fan and what doesn't. I suspect I'm pretty typical of a fan of a non-league club.

3 And are you seriously telling me you'd prefer your club to reach the level where they're charging over £60 a game, a quarter of the ground is occupied by tourists and the whole thing is arranged for TV than be where they are now? Everyone has their line.

1. Yes the entire point is that you enjoy it, but winning is by far the biggest part of that, and winning is only enjoyable if you’re playing at a level where your pushed to be your best, it’s not enjoyable when it comes cheap.

2. I admit I was quite reluctant to use the not a fan phrase but I don’t really have any other way of describing someone who isn’t absolutely desperate to win every week. If it’s not about winning what’s the point? And if it is about winning then why settle for chasing anything less than the best?

3. Yeah I’m seriously telling you I’d rather that, I’m not justifying glory hunting, picking a club just cos their good is shit behaviour, but don’t you want your club to be brilliant? I want the pars to be repeated, unbeaten champions of the world and I don’t care if that means we have a bit of income from plastic fans.  I may express some frustrations about paying over the odds or fan treatment, but to be great, f**k me that’s a price worth paying every time.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

I did see the improvement Cove had to make to make it through the playoffs at the third attempt, and Buckie aren’t anywhere near where Cove were when they blitzed East Kilbride and Berwick, however. 

True, but cove really should have done a better job of their first two attempts, they cost themselves with a shit mentality 

They shat their pants against Cowdenbeath at home, they'd enough chances to win the entire tie that afternoon. 

Edinburgh City put in a fucking masterclass on how to deal with Cove tho. That was some afternoon. 

Nearly all Buckie's players travel for 3 hours to get to training and back, if they were scared of travel they'd be playing for a club nearer Inverness or Aberdeen.

I don't support any of the three sides going for the title today but I must admit I'm actually excited about this afternoon, my only is on Buckie but I'm sure their will be a few twists and tuns before ten to five today...

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nearly all Buckie's players travel for 3 hours to get to training and back, if they were scared of travel they'd be playing for a club nearer Inverness or Aberdeen.

I think its easier to complain about travel, than mention the fear of ending up on the bench or out the door.

A reminder for anyone taking in Clach v Lossie today, it's a 2pm kick off at Lossie's request, presumably to ensure that they'll be gettin’ hame in time fir thir supper. :P

15 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Even if the money is if no relevance to the support, it’s got to be worth the novelty of going up even if it’s just for a season. I’m very sure Brora have long regretted not managing to follow through on their Montrose double header.

And FFS, Buckie could yet head into an SPFLLT which has Elgin, Forfar and Peterhead in it. If Stranraer were to go down at their expense, I dunno how much more miles they’d end up doing a season. Not enough to justify Buckie fans googling if they’ve to wind on their watches when they pass south of Stirling, I’d imagine. 

Aye it's a nonsense argument. 24 of their 36 League Two games would be in Buckie, Elgin, Peterhead or Forfar. How the fuck are they going to lose money?