Hibernian European Tour 2023/24

Lyle Lanley

I watched this last night but didn't see any of the first leg. I'm sure this has been stated many times already, but it's quite incredible that Hibs managed to lose a game of football against that mob. That defence made Dundee Utd last season look like 1994 AC Milan.

(for the avoidance of doubt I mean the Andorran defence)

12 hours ago, Leith Green said:

BBC commentary just said the last time we were in Europe was 2005.

I must have misremembered being in Norway in 2018 in the Europa League.

Fucking amateurs 

It’s the last time Hibs were in a tournament proper rather than just a qualifying round so they’re technically correct.

13 hours ago, Leith Green said:

BBC commentary just said the last time we were in Europe was 2005.

I must have misremembered being in Norway in 2018 in the Europa League.

Fucking amateurs 

They said that was the last time you reached the "competition proper", ie the 1st Round rather than the qualifiers. I'd argue it's a completely pointless distinction though, given the constant changes in format.

7 hours ago, Ross. said:

Easyjet Edinburgh to Basel or Edelweiss Edinburgh to Zurich are the only real direct options but both have been eye wateringly expensive for a while now.

Luzern is a cracking city for a session, and a decent ground to watch football in also. Would probably have them as favourites for the tie but they have a lot of players there who are inconsistent and untried at European level, so it’s far from a long shot for you.

Anyway, how easy will it be to score a ticket in the away end?

Only flight I seen that’s reasonable is Bristol to Basel for around £130 return. 

You should be able to get a ticket no problem as it will go to general sale. 

13 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Fully expected Hibs to win and thump that lot today. Levitt showing his quality. Opposition fans are hoping Boyle gets injured again and soon. The Swiss mob will be a completely different challenge. I think Hibs certainly have the firepower to win however even with the inclusion of Will Fish I think Hibs are still vulnerable at the back. Dylan Vente will also be available.

The Doig cash windfall (may have already been used) could and maybe should be used to strengthen their backline.

Overall, Hibs are shaping up nicely and for once I believe LJ in that hibs will have a strong season. Third is going to be a very tasty competition this season with Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts all strengthen their sides. St Mirren a potential dark horse too.

are you related to Levitt?  Came on and did very little - early days but could be another LJ bust

8 minutes ago, HK Hibee said:

are you related to Levitt?  Came on and did very little - early days but could be another LJ bust

Within minutes of coming on he played a reverse through ball that would have had fans purring if it was Scott Allan, and the resulting goal should have stood. His first touch was a shot from outside the box which was a very decent save from finding the top corner.

He then admittedly ran around not doing much as we closed out the game, but the same could be said of the whole team as we were clearly just seeing it out. 

9 hours ago, Ross. said:

Easyjet Edinburgh to Basel or Edelweiss Edinburgh to Zurich are the only real direct options but both have been eye wateringly expensive for a while now.

Luzern is a cracking city for a session, and a decent ground to watch football in also. Would probably have them as favourites for the tie but they have a lot of players there who are inconsistent and untried at European level, so it’s far from a long shot for you.

Anyway, how easy will it be to score a ticket in the away end?

Possibly the best from my travels with Saints 

I wish we built grounds like this in Scotland

10356312_10152565459784933_2814974383991

From walking about at our training session the away end is safe standing

10329746_10152565465734933_7668237870570

10504780_10152565459769933_5378545844098

they also have a good passionate home support

10562476_10152565458629933_3191090735261

Enjoy the trip lads.

4 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Only flight I seen that’s reasonable is Bristol to Basel for around £130 return. 

You should be able to get a ticket no problem as it will go to general sale. 

Manchester to Basel was usually fairly cheap, only done that the once though so I might just have got lucky at the time.

If you don’t mind a bit of extra traveling time, it’s possibly also worth looking at flying into Munich, Stuttgart or Frankfurt and then checking the bus connections via FlixBus, I’ve done trips to all 3 for less than 30 euros a pop, albeit the last of those was pre Covid, so no idea how they are price wise now.

Think we’re giving Luzern a miss which is a shame, gambled on a £33 flight to Sweden early on unfortunately didn’t pay off.

£250 odd as an absolute minimum to get to Switzerland plus £8 pints and a likely £200 for a hotel, unfortunately not viable given I’m doing Cyprus & Georgia away with Scotland plus two short breaks with the mrs.

Praying we get through another round and I can squeeze a cheaper trip in before Cyprus.

No idea if anyone knows any better but I think we probably have a 50/50 or maybe slightly lower chance of progressing.

Caught the last 25 mins of Luzern Djurgardens after the game, Djurgardens were obviously dominating but Luzern looked good on the break however utterly terrified of crossed balls into the box.

In terms of our game;

Boruc did well, a lot better than he did for the U20s in the challenge cup the night before where he looked very suspect.

Defence was probably the weakest part of the team, Fish looked a bit shaky but he’ll be fine.

Newell is really making it hard for me to complain about him, he’s an absolute arsehole but a smashing footballer and he was superb, right idea to sub him to keep him fresh for Sunday given his injury.

Boyle and Youan are going to be an absolute nightmare to play against this season if they can both stay fit, could see us scoring a lot of goals but also probably conceding a lot too.

Delighted for Doidge, a thoroughly good egg, would much rather have him than Le Fondre, Melkersen or McKirdy when he returns.

Just thinking out loud here, but there’s a Ryanair flight on the Tuesday evening from Newcastle to Milan that’s relatively cheap (£60 bare bones). Then the direct train from Milan to Lucerne the following morning for about £40. Bit of a faff but if anyone was desperate to go then a bit of an adventure. 😂

When Falkirk played in Liechtenstein I was scared of flying so got buses from Aberdeen to Zurich. Took me just over 36 hours if I mind right. It was more than a bit of a faff, a dreadful experience! Wouldn’t even consider it nowadays.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They said that was the last time you reached the "competition proper", ie the 1st Round rather than the qualifiers. I'd argue it's a completely pointless distinction though, given the constant changes in format.

Correct afterall R1 back in 2005 is like QR4 aka Playoff now: last before group.

It's wrong anyway as Hibs played R2 'proper' of Intertoto Cup in 2008 which later got merged into EL qualifying.

5 hours ago, Ross. said:

Manchester to Basel was usually fairly cheap, only done that the once though so I might just have got lucky at the time.

If you don’t mind a bit of extra traveling time, it’s possibly also worth looking at flying into Munich, Stuttgart or Frankfurt and then checking the bus connections via FlixBus, I’ve done trips to all 3 for less than 30 euros a pop, albeit the last of those was pre Covid, so no idea how they are price wise now.

Had a look at Germany, nothing decent came up. Might just give this a miss and wait to see who we can possibly get in the next round instead. 

2 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

Just thinking out loud here, but there’s a Ryanair flight on the Tuesday evening from Newcastle to Milan that’s relatively cheap (£60 bare bones). Then the direct train from Milan to Lucerne the following morning for about £40. Bit of a faff but if anyone was desperate to go then a bit of an adventure. 😂

When Falkirk played in Liechtenstein I was scared of flying so got buses from Aberdeen to Zurich. Took me just over 36 hours if I mind right. It was more than a bit of a faff, a dreadful experience! Wouldn’t even consider it nowadays.

We looked at flying to Milan then getting the train to Lucerne from Milan as it’s only 3 and a half hours. :lol: 

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Correct afterall R1 back in 2005 is like QR4 aka Playoff now: last before group.

It's wrong anyway as Hibs played R2 'proper' of Intertoto Cup in 2008 which later got merged into EL qualifying.

He did explicitly say he wasn't counting the Intertoto.

13 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

No idea if anyone knows any better but I think we probably have a 50/50 or maybe slightly lower chance of progressing.

Caught the last 25 mins of Luzern Djurgardens after the game, Djurgardens were obviously dominating but Luzern looked good on the break however utterly terrified of crossed balls into the box.

I haven’t watched a huge amount of top league football here in the last few seasons(On account of Aarau being shite and bottling promotion most years) but from what I have seen I’d say you are spot on.

Jashari and Meyer in the middle are a very good pairing and will probably control that area, but the rest of the Luzern team are a mixed bag. They have half a dozen regulars who played in the second league and done well there, whether or not they can step up remains to be seen. Okou, Ademi and Sapadanuda are all potential match winners for them, but none of the 3 have proven themselves at any decent level.

Spadanuda was a cracking player for Aarau a couple of seasons ago, moved to the top league in France but couldn’t manage the step up. Not sure if Luzern will use him on the left or right but he is rapid, has a decent touch and can fair hit the ball when given time. Him and Ademi especially could cause Hibs problems.

Defensively the boy Frydek is a reasonable left back. The rest of their defence I seem to recall was very inexperienced last season. The keeper and I am sure both centre halves came through their youth set up. All highly rated but all inexperienced.

I’d have Luzern as slight favourites, mostly because Jashari and Meyer will be the best players on the park, but if Boyle stays fit and you can get the ball into Doidge from either side, you should be able to cause them problems.

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

I haven’t watched a huge amount of top league football here in the last few seasons(On account of Aarau being shite and bottling promotion most years) but from what I have seen I’d say you are spot on.

Jashari and Meyer in the middle are a very good pairing and will probably control that area, but the rest of the Luzern team are a mixed bag. They have half a dozen regulars who played in the second league and done well there, whether or not they can step up remains to be seen. Okou, Ademi and Sapadanuda are all potential match winners for them, but none of the 3 have proven themselves at any decent level.

Spadanuda was a cracking player for Aarau a couple of seasons ago, moved to the top league in France but couldn’t manage the step up. Not sure if Luzern will use him on the left or right but he is rapid, has a decent touch and can fair hit the ball when given time. Him and Ademi especially could cause Hibs problems.

Defensively the boy Frydek is a reasonable left back. The rest of their defence I seem to recall was very inexperienced last season. The keeper and I am sure both centre halves came through their youth set up. All highly rated but all inexperienced.

I’d have Luzern as slight favourites, mostly because Jashari and Meyer will be the best players on the park, but if Boyle stays fit and you can get the ball into Doidge from either side, you should be able to cause them problems.

I did recognise Meyer’s name when I was on their Wikipedia.

Like you say with Boyle, I think we’re all hopeful we’ll have our new striker we’ve just bought for £700k in between him and Youan and that should cause problems.

If we can go over there with a lead we have a decent chance I think, nothing to fear anyway.

Another potential way to get there is Glasgow to Dublin at 22:25 on the Tuesday (‪Ryanair £16) and then Dublin to Zurich the following morning at 07:10 (Aer Lingus ‪£74). Bare bones and need to sleep in the airport! Could also do it a day later and pretty much the same price.

Another thing I probably wouldn't do but love looking up this type of shite for some reason.  

6 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

Another potential way to get there is Glasgow to Dublin at 22:25 on the Tuesday (‪Ryanair £16) and then Dublin to Zurich the following morning at 07:10 (Aer Lingus ‪£74). Bare bones and need to sleep in the airport! Could also do it a day later and pretty much the same price.

Another thing I probably wouldn't do but love looking up this type of shite for some reason.  

We just booked to fly from Luton to Zurich on the 16th and coming back on the 18th for around £140 return. 

Can’t wait.