Dundee United 23/24

18 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

He should never have been given the chance to come back again! Now I'm not saying he was to blame for our goalkeeping issues but first time round he took

Radoslaw Czerniak a good solid keeper with a decent track record in Poland and with us.

Zwick a good young prospect, not ready to be thrown into the deep end, but a good attitude and potential.

Zromnick, Polish u21 keeper and ome.of Poland's great white hopes. Had Polish press shocked he had joined United as they expected him to join a bigger club.

Turned them into  goalkeepers showing nervousness in games and second guessing themselves with one in particular looking like he'd never seen a football and goalie gloves in his life!

This season has coached

Carl Johan Erikson who had a good reputation joining us as Finnish No. 2 and current Allsvenskan goalkeeper of the year

Mark Brighitti ex Swansea, NAC Breda, 1 cap for Australia (all be it a decade ago) and two time A league keeper of the year. Joined us as current A league keeper of the year.

Jack Newman well regarded youth prospect. Who performed well for Peterhead on loan.

Turned them into goalkeepers who are 2nd guessing themselves and going against instinct, who look nervous taking to the pitch.

All these other folk can't be wrong can they when voting these keepers as best performing in their leagues, giving them national call ups, talking about them as decent keepers and it is us that see them as they truely are. I got into arguments with an Australian fan and an Australian journalist online over Birighitti. They had to reluctantly accept what I was seeing in person at games, but they were adamant that he had not shown that number of errors per game there, even accounting for standard of some players. Szromnick is current Slask Wroclow no 1. Saku left on loan to Danish top league and they have just paid a fee to sign him permanently. These guys have really only been truly pish with us under Hinchcliffe as coach. Now he did well with Motherwell, but that is 6 goalkeepers over 2 stints with the same outcome. Good riddance!!

I'm not sure this is all entirely right, or at least it's not the whole story.

Zwick was farting about in the amateur leagues and returned there after leaving United. His time at United was very much the zenith of his time as a footballer.

Eriksson is very much being signed as back up. Clearly he's impressed enough in training to pick up a deal, which is great, but he didn't play a single league game during his loan spell. Worth remembering too that he didn't get a sniff at United for the first six months after signing with there being strong rumours that he was, in fact, mince. This pre-dates Hinchcliffe's return to the club.

I'm not sure whether Newman performed well or not for Peterhead but he did concede lots of goals and the only games in his career in which he's not lost were a 2-2 draw against East Fife with Peterhead and the 3-0 win against Stirling Uni. Granted it's a fairly small sample size but his senior career record thus far comprises 11 defeats, 1 draw and 1 win conceding a combined total of 34 goals and keeping 1 clean sheet. 

Birighitti didn't make a single appearance at Swansea and was bombed out at Breda after half a season. Having watched his "highlights" reel from the A League his inability to catch the ball and bizarre positioning seem to be recurring themes throughout his career. 

The narrative seems to be that Hinchcliffe is a bad coach, and certainly his termination suggests that Goodwin at least partly agrees with that, but let's not pretend that he's the sole or principal reason why these keepers performed so terribly. Most of them are just terrible keepers.

17 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Oaft. He's fucking howlin'.

Nonsense. You’re unlikely to get a better holding midfielder for this level. Range of passing isn’t great but he can keep it nice and easy and just focuses on breaking up play. Seems to have added more goals to his game at Partick as well. 

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Zwick was farting about in the amateur leagues and returned there after leaving United. His time at United was very much the zenith of his time as a footballer.

Eriksson is very much being signed as back up. Clearly he's impressed enough in training to pick up a deal, which is great, but he didn't play a single league game during his loan spell. Worth remembering too that he didn't get a sniff at United for the first six months after signing with there being strong rumours that he was, in fact, mince. This pre-dates Hinchcliffe's return to the club.

I'm not sure whether Newman performed well or not for Peterhead but he did concede lots of goals and the only games in his career in which he's not lost were a 2-2 draw against East Fife with Peterhead and the 3-0 win against Stirling Uni. Granted it's a fairly small sample size but his senior career record thus far comprises 11 defeats, 1 draw and 1 win conceding a combined total of 34 goals and keeping 1 clean sheet. 

Birighitti didn't make a single appearance at Swansea and was bombed out at Breda after half a season. Having watched his "highlights" reel from the A League his inability to catch the ball and bizarre positioning seem to be recurring themes throughout his career. 

The narrative seems to be that Hinchcliffe is a bad coach, and certainly his termination suggests that Goodwin at least partly agrees with that, but let's not pretend that he's the sole or principal reason why these keepers performed so terribly. Most of them are just terrible keepers.

I'd add that Czerniak, though streets ahead of any other keeper we've had in the past decade bar Siegrist, was capable of costly brainfarts and had demonstrated that several times before Hinchcliffe joined us first time round.

Admittedly I can't say I'm particularly sorry to see him go. However, the fact that Motherwell fans seem to regard him reasonably well after his stint with them prior to rejoining us suggests that he's not a total imposter.

If he had no input on recruitment, then he was spectacularly unlucky getting saddled with a reputation shredder like Birighitti. The only practical advice any coach could give him would be to consider a career change.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Nonsense. You’re unlikely to get a better holding midfielder for this level. Range of passing isn’t great but he can keep it nice and easy and just focuses on breaking up play. Seems to have added more goals to his game at Partick as well. 

I haven't been impressed with him at all. Hides from tackles, tries too many 'worldie' passes and surrenders possession too easily. 

His performance in the play off final second leg was utterly shameful - it could perhaps be explained by this turn of events though.

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Saku, didn't play in first 6 months and was never due to play in first 6 months and that is no slight on him. He had just played a full season in Sweden had no break and was here to be backup only to Siegrist to get him settled to take over once siegrist left. Nordsjaelland have still seen him in training for near 6 months AND paid a fee

Newman, nowhere did I say he was great, I said he was a highly thought of prospect and was well regarded at Peterhead and did well. Sometimes the amount of goals you let in doesn't mean your shit, as the team in front of you is 't very good and you can't keep everything out.

Birighitti didn't play that much at Swansea or Breda that is true, I have seen his big howler in Australia, but these guys I argued with about him ,one a football journalist who wtched him very regularly said after I pointed to some video footage, that he was unrecognisable as the player that had  been A league GK of the year 2 years running.

Zwick was a good prospect, as I said, he wasn't ready yet.

I didn't say he was the only reason, but that is 6 keepers over 2 stints. 4 with decent, prior to us reputations, they look like they were all second guessing themselves with no confidence.  A good coach instils confidence and makes keepers trust in themselves, not 2nd guess themselves. I do not know why both stints with us have gone so badly. Goodwin obviously sees things are not right in that department.

Edited by Tannadeechee

28 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I haven't been impressed with him at all. Hides from tackles, tries too many 'worldie' passes and surrenders possession too easily. 

His performance in the play off final second leg was utterly shameful - it could perhaps be explained by this turn of events though.

This is some Dundee rivalry 'every player they sign if pish' wind up right? You've pretty much described the opposite of Ross Docherty and that's from someone who doesn't think he's as good as a lot of our support do.