Dundee United 23/24

holt.thumb.png.ab00dfeb2c44df9e8ba24668b4cbe452.png

Holt seems pretty/very good, although I'd be a bit worried about that big flashing red light.

Maybe need a very good CB beside him? And you likely wouldnt want him at LB, probably allows a cross every time a winger tries it.

42 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Apparently we're signing Joe Lewis the keeper 

No idea if that’s true but Goodwin has confirmed the McGregor rumour is absolute bollocks.

Edited by Loemba90

39 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Apparently we're signing Joe Lewis the keeper 

Looked absolutely past it towards the end of his Aberdeen career, so a huge improvement on what we have. 
In all seriousness I’m sure we can get someone younger and better than Lewis. 

5 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Looked absolutely past it towards the end of his Aberdeen career, so a huge improvement on what we have. 
In all seriousness I’m sure we can get someone younger and better than Lewis. 

Very good. Agreed on all counts.

See also: a wheelie bin; Jamie Langfield;  some old guy with a peg-leg staggering home from the boozer.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

holt.thumb.png.ab00dfeb2c44df9e8ba24668b4cbe452.png

Holt seems pretty/very good, although I'd be a bit worried about that big flashing red light.

Maybe need a very good CB beside him? And you likely wouldnt want him at LB, probably allows a cross every time a winger tries it.

He had Aaron Muirhead beside him for most of the season at Thistle, I’d describe Holt as the very good CB in that partnership. 

Weren’t United playing a back 3 quite a lot last season? I think Holt would operate really well LCH of a 3, if they keep that system. 

Think I said it before but as long as these new guys have more fight and will to win than last years lot then I'm more than happy for now.

We need a solid, reliable spine to this team and that's what it looks like Goodwin is building. 

Now for a good keeper please.

7 hours ago, JagsCG said:

He had Aaron Muirhead beside him for most of the season at Thistle, I’d describe Holt as the very good CB in that partnership. 

Weren’t United playing a back 3 quite a lot last season? I think Holt would operate really well LCH of a 3, if they keep that system. 

I think we'll be lining up with Graham in the middle with Holt to his left and a new RCH in the back 3

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

I think we'll be lining up with Graham in the middle with Holt to his left and a new RCH in the back 3

If McMann is going to be lb/lwb then I’d much rather a back 4 as he is ok as a fullback but not enough of an attacking threat as a wingback. The other option is Niskanen plays as lwb. 

Terrible full back at dens , seems to more than decent at Centre back though , my worry is more about why he’s found it okay at just 30 to sign a one year deal , when I would think partick offered him more security, or are partick in such a bad place they are only offering a pittance in contracts ? They have lost all  their best players and now you guys should stroll this league 

5 minutes ago, Vernon gilmore said:

Terrible full back at dens , seems to more than decent at Centre back though , my worry is more about why he’s found it okay at just 30 to sign a one year deal , when I would think partick offered him more security, or are partick in such a bad place they are only offering a pittance in contracts ? They have lost all  their best players and now you guys should stroll this league 

According to Doolan, we came close to resigning those players, but the lure of Premiership football and United with their much bigger budget got them.

Our link to Fletcher that appeared yesterday feels pretty unlikely as we're not going to be able to get anywhere near whatever daft salary you're chucking at him and Nixon's a source to take with a pinch of salt with that sort of story (he briefly floated us being in for Watt at the 11th hour before you loaned him to St Mirren) but what's the script with Fletcher anyway?

I saw a bit of chat on one of your fan accounts on Twitter that Goodwin had suggested he's staying. Does he have a relegation release clause? Is he back with you for pre-season?

Basically, under the circumstances is there a chance that United might mutual him?

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Our link to Fletcher that appeared yesterday feels pretty unlikely as we're not going to be able to get anywhere near whatever daft salary you're chucking at him and Nixon's a source to take with a pinch of salt with that sort of story (he briefly floated us being in for Watt at the 11th hour before you loaned him to St Mirren) but what's the script with Fletcher anyway?

I saw a bit of chat on one of your fan accounts on Twitter that Goodwin had suggested he's staying. Does he have a relegation release clause? Is he back with you for pre-season?

Basically, under the circumstances is there a chance that United might mutual him?

Goodwin says he wants to keep him but Fletcher will be on a good wage and may not want to play in the Championship. Only reason for him to go would be to save money or because he wants to go so no incentive for United to pay him off.

Allegedly (it wasn't a Dee who told me so it's probably false) one of Uniteds directors are covering Fletchers wages so it doesn't come out of the "playing budget" as it were. 

Again, allegedly. And I also heard he's on about £6k a week.

For the third time, allegedly. 

2 hours ago, Vernon gilmore said:

It may be an initial 1 year deal with a second as an option of certain conditions are met?

Would a 2 year deal at Thistle actually last 2 years with all the rumours etc?

He'll probably make more in 1 year at Utd as he would in 2 years at Thistle so it's another year of earning at the end of his career if he does leave at the end of the year deal.

Makes sense to me.

5 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Allegedly (it wasn't a Dee who told me so it's probably false) one of Uniteds directors are covering Fletchers wages so it doesn't come out of the "playing budget" as it were. 

Again, allegedly. And I also heard he's on about £6k a week.

For the third time, allegedly. 

The only United director with those sort of resources is Ogren himself.  I doubt if there are any financial incentives for him to pay £300k each year out of his own pocket.

I see the point that if you add nothing but decent Championship players you become no more than a decent Championship team when you're spending money that could be attracting players above that level to set you up to canter to the title, but I think that misses the point with the current state of Dundee United's squad.

Obviously some of them might end up leaving this summer and the club might want that too considering wages, but a few players good enough for the Premiership are already there. You already know you could put Fletcher, Watt, Levitt, Middleton and even Sibbald in a team that isn't a total joke defensively and see them perform well in the top flight if they actually had a functioning football team around them. If you can get even a couple of creative players close to their best form you'll have attacking quality that most Championship sides can't get near.

Therefore building a functional Championship defensive unit full of known quantities rather than chasing after unknowns in hope of uncovering gems - who could actually turn out to be William Edjenguele levels of shite - makes a lot of sense. Get a competent defence, physical presence in midfield to compete and a goalkeeper with hands to actually keep some clean sheets and it gives the platform for those attacking players to win games.

It also does all three of those signings a disservice to dismiss them as merely decent Championship players. They're not just above average much of a muchness with half a dozen other players in their positions across the division, all of them are among the best in their position in the league. They're all capable of contributing more than the archetypal solid 7/10 every week performer who's decent enough without ever being better than that all season.

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Fletcher, Watt, Levitt, Middleton

Those 4 should cause chaos at this level, if yiu give them freedom and structure around them.

Watt and Middleton either side of Fletcher cutting in while Levitt sits just behind conducting. Full backs giving you the width. Proper excitement could be had.

Shame Goodwin will wedge them all into a 5-3-2 and try and shitfest his way to the title instead. Half his signings will be more about trying to weaken teams around them than strengthen themselves.