Dundee United 23/24

6 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Was surprised (and relieved) to see Sibbald playing nearly the whole game just in front of the defence last night - does Goodwin always play him so deep?  Sibbs was always a danger at the edge of the box with us, either a killer pass or a killer goal... 

Docherty normally plays that role with Sibbald more of a box to box role, Docherty is out injured and his back up Tilson is not very good hence why Goodwin tried Sibbald there last night 

5 hours ago, Steven W said:

On what was clearly a poor night for every player in tangerine, so I'm by no means singling him out, but if Freeman had put in the same performance as Grimshaw did, this place (and others) would have went into meltdown.

Grimshaw isn't good and if the results hadn't been so good up to now this might have had more attention. He can't be playing for us in top flight.

What’s people’s thoughts on the upcoming transfer window? For me striker, right back and cover for Gallagher in, Tilson and Denholm back to their parent clubs.
If there’s enough in the budget, in additional to the above I wouldn’t mind seeing another wide player brought in. 

17 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

What’s people’s thoughts on the upcoming transfer window? For me striker, right back and cover for Gallagher in, Tilson and Denholm back to their parent clubs.
If there’s enough in the budget, in additional to the above I wouldn’t mind seeing another wide player brought in. 

Cover for Docherty as well.

5 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

I don't think we can afford 3 new players. We're skint.

We'll be a lot more than skint if we dont get promoted, hopefully Ogren will look at the disaster of the last xmas window and see that the gamble of not improving things was a massive mistake.

I reckon Ogren won't invest if we are comfortable in his eyes at the top of the league. The fact that he ignored the glaring deficiencies last season, and saw it as no big deal anyway if United were relegated, indicates to me that he thinks thinks have been ticking along just fine.

He might even be considering selling a player or two.

As for last night, I only caught glimpses of the match such is my interest in that competition, but the keeper and back four were the same as last time out earlier in the season, a 1-0 win, but for Freeman playing instead of Grimshaw.

25 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I reckon Ogren won't invest if we are comfortable in his eyes at the top of the league. The fact that he ignored the glaring deficiencies last season, and saw it as no big deal anyway if United were relegated, indicates to me that he thinks thinks have been ticking along just fine.

He might even be considering selling a player or two.

As for last night, I only caught glimpses of the match such is my interest in that competition, but the keeper and back four were the same as last time out earlier in the season, a 1-0 win, but for Freeman playing instead of Grimshaw.

The thing is, unless Raith Rovers completely fall off a cliff, and that looks highly unlikely, we will not be comfortable at the top of the league in January.

1 minute ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

The thing is, unless Raith Rovers completely fall off a cliff, and that looks highly unlikely, we will not be comfortable at the top of the league in January.

That's why I wrote 'in his eyes', my view is that some of the players are too inconsistent, but Mark Ogren might think everything in his garden is rosy if we are top by a few points.

Reluctant to write off Grimshaw just yet as he's not played in his favoured position. Certainly not the most graceful though, looks like he should be gouging someone's eyes in an octagon. Little wonder he was popular in Greenock. Agree we definitely need a right back in the door in January. If there's no money available, which seems likely, put Freeman out somewhere and bring in a boringly competent young guy on loan from down south. 

To top off a thoroughly miserable afternoon, the BBC reported that Fotheringham's sub at the end of normal time was due to injury too.

The Challenge Cup loss last week was mostly shrugged off due to a lack of interest in that competition. But I expect that combined with this cup exit will undermine most of what little goodwill Goodwin has managed to build up with the fans this season.

*Sigh*

3 minutes ago, captainkev said:

To top off a thoroughly miserable afternoon, the BBC reported that Fotheringham's sub at the end of normal time was due to injury too.

The Challenge Cup loss last week was mostly shrugged off due to a lack of interest in that competition. But I expect that combined with this cup exit will undermine most of what little goodwill Goodwin has managed to build up with the fans this season.

*Sigh*

Win next week and it will probably be fine, for now. The pressure is certainly on now...