Dundee United 23/24

Ach, you make your own luck in this game, and Raith did. Not one of our players would have even attempted what Scott Brown did last night, far less scored it. 9 times out of 10 it goes horribly wrong, but to use the cliche, you won't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket 

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:

It was. Every bit as poor as Watt's shot straight at the keeper in the opening minutes.

It's about taking chances. We did.

Yep, and he missed another early on in the second half when Witherspoon set him up.  You’ve got to take your chances. Likewise Graham twice with headers from corners, and Holt’s got to score that one at the very death. 

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Ach, you make your own luck in this game, and Raith did. Not one of our players would have even attempted what Scott Brown did last night, far less scored it. 9 times out of 10 it goes horribly wrong, but to use the cliche, you won't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket 

If you look at the RaithTV highlights, you can see your keeper got to that ball, just, but not enough to stop it. The ball had to hit about a half metre square area to go in, and he did it, somehow. It was a lot like the wonder goal the Arbroath sub keeper scored against us on 30 Dec, these things happen…which is why fitba can be a brilliant watch sometimes.

Do you think the DU Board is gonna push in some chips to get another reinforcement or two, or is it the current crew or bust?

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

If you wish to continue speaking about luck.  How lucky are United to have an owner that chose to buy them and subsequently invest well in excess of £10 million to the club in his short tenure? 

You call that luck? I call it utterly horrendous verging on insane management. 

I agree that if we had won all the games we had lost and drawn it would be a much better situation.

Having the best of the game means f**k all if you don't do anything with it. 

We have been on top/made plenty of chances in 95% of games this season, as well we should.

The manager talks about "just lacking a little bit of quality in the final third" as if its a seagull blocking a goal bound shot as opposed to a combination of toxic/lazy "big name" players, a complete mismanagement of our younger players and an utter failure to change approach (just throwing different bodies into the same shape on 80 mins).

The whole thing stems from a credulous absentee owner who is happy to let chancer vampires enrich themselves from the club and make shit decisons and the sooner he is gone the better. 

People talk about the money he has put in as if Dundee United should need some chancer like him to be a Premier league team challenging for Europe and trophies. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I agree that if we had won all the games we had lost and drawn it would be a much better situation.

We have been on top/made plenty of chances in 95% of games this season, as well we should.

The manager talks about "just lacking a little bit of quality in the final third" as if its a seagull blocking a goal bound shot as opposed to a combination of toxic/lazy "big name" players, a complete mismanagement of our younger players and an utter failure to change approach (just throwing different bodies into the same shape on 80 mins).

The whole thing stems from a credulous absentee owner who is happy to let chancer vampires enrich themselves from the club and make shit decisons and the sooner he is gone the better. 

People talk about the money he has put in as if Dundee United should need some chancer like him to be a Premier league team challenging for Europe and trophies. 

I wouldn't say he's a chancer. I'd say he is a genuine but massively gullible millionaire that was sold a turkey by a complete charlatan. He's obviously a shite judge of character but I suppose most chairmen are!

The manager situation is probably more important at this point and I am not convinced by Goodwin. How can he say "we lack a bit of quality in the final third" when we have a striker with the pedigree of Moult and a player we spent £150k on (wrongly imo) who should be banging goals in for fun at this level is a bit daft. 

I'd get rid of Goodwin regardless and I'd also punt any player out of Contract.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

lol.  Funny reading Rovers fans praising Murray for just replacing players in the same formation rather than changing it.  Who’d be a manager?

13 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I wouldn't say he's a chancer. I'd say he is a genuine but massively gullible millionaire that was sold a turkey by a complete charlatan. He's obviously a shite judge of character but I suppose most chairmen are!

The manager situation is probably more important at this point and I am not convinced by Goodwin. How can he say "we lack a bit of quality in the final third" when we have a striker with the pedigree of Moult and a player we spent £150k on (wrongly imo) who should be banging goals in for fun at this level is a bit daft. 

I'd get rid of Goodwin regardless and I'd also punt any player out of Contract.

Was thinking the same about Goodwin, even if we go up. What chance we could tempt McInnes back? 

13 hours ago, adamntg said:

lol.  Funny reading Rovers fans praising Murray for just replacing players in the same formation rather than changing it.  Who’d be a manager?

Why is it funny? I thought the changes did make a difference. you don't always need to change a formation, you just need different skills.

40 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

Why is it funny? I thought the changes did make a difference. you don't always need to change a formation, you just need different skills.

I agree with you to an extent: Murray brought on fresh players when Rovers and the match needed new energy, Goodwin didn't. He brought on players, later, which weakened our chances of scoring, and later still, in a panic after the wonder goal. 

49 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

Because Murray pulled a masterstroke by not changing formations whereas Goodwin is a hopeless for not changing formation. 

On 17/02/2024 at 11:38, adamntg said:

If Rovers plan was to sit tight and then someone could rattle it into the top corner from 30 yards with one minute to go - that’s not a great plan.

Really? Seemed to work pretty well on Friday.

12 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

Was thinking the same about Goodwin, even if we go up. What chance we could tempt McInnes back? 

That would certainly add even more to the derbies. It’s an interesting one. I think he’d be a good fit for Utd and Utd for him. However, he’s doing very well with Killie and I’m not convinced he’d jump into the current set up at Tannadump. Goodwin surely won’t last even with promotion? That Utd side is probably the most expensively assembled championship squads since rangers, hearts, hibs were in the championship and it’s arguably a poorer league than even last season with clubs losing a lot of players to the top flight. I still think you’ll win the league though. 

On 16/02/2024 at 17:09, Sarto Mutiny said:

Behave. Worse than Christophe Rabitisch? Adam Barton? Yannick Loemba? Jordie Briels? Don't be silly.

Talking of Monsieur Loemba, I saw he managed this last weekend...

On 16/02/2024 at 17:32, Pull My Strings said:

Worse than Mark Birighiti?

I've said it before, and I'll no doubt be saying it until the PTSD fully wears off - but my first United game was in the spring of 1996, and in the intervening 28 years I have never seen a worse player for us than Mark Birighitti.  An utterly inept goalkeeper that could neither save shots nor gather crosses (and don't get me started on when he had the ball at his feet...), who was completely bereft of confidence - a horrible combination that should never have been allowed to continue for a whole season.

On 16/02/2024 at 18:05, WhatDayIsIt said:

Ok, worst midfielder with the pass when it comes to passing it to a teammate.  I bet his pass completion rate is around 30% if even that

I actually agree with this - he simply cannot pass a football.  He has a good engine, and if we were under the cosh for large periods of games he would no doubt be useful in breaking up opposition attacks etc. (a bit like Mark Kerr, circa 2005), but as teams sit with 11 men behind the ball he is absolutely useless.

On 17/02/2024 at 01:51, Mark Connolly said:

What is the purpose of Glenn Middleton?

Middleton has the most assists in the league - he is off form, for sure, but there are far worse in this squad.

On 17/02/2024 at 14:02, ArabFC said:

Middleton wasn't great, but I'm wondering if it's a particularly United fan trait to pour all scorn on one of the wide players. Even our good ones -going back to the likes of Conway and McLaren always seemed to get more than their fair share of hate.

Makes me smile to think of the dichotomy of Craig Conway pre and post 15 May 2010 in the eyes of some Arabs.  There were people near me in the GF lower that hated the guy.  

20 hours ago, adamntg said:

Because Murray pulled a masterstroke by not changing formations whereas Goodwin is a hopeless for not changing formation. 

Thats because Murray had a clear plan which was to keep it tight for the first hour or so and then bring on two or three of our better players to cause problems against the tired United defence. 
Most Rovers fans would agree that Easton and Hamilton would be in the team if you picked purely the best 11 players, and a good proportion of them would probably add Connolly and Brown too. 
Murrays tactic of leaving out some of the ‘best players’ from the starting line up in favour of players like Callum Smith who will do more work defensively and then unleashing to more technical players once the opposition had tired does seem worthy of praise. 

Although to be fair, it would have back fired if you guys had been a bit more clinical….

1 hour ago, Girth said:

I still think you'll sneak up but Goodwin is doing pretty badly with huge resources. 

Even if you went up, I'd have thought he'd be punted.

I think that's fair. If he gets us up, and I think he still will, then it's mission accomplished. Obviously, he'll be punted if we don't go up. 

I'm not a huge fan, I must say. I know not everyone agrees and thats fine, but I feel that we are where we are despite him, not because of him. It's maybe unfair, but if he does take us up, I think he'll be gone by October anyway.