Clyde Season 23/24

13 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

How did Kurtis Roberts do with you guys last season? Seen some comments that he wasn’t great at the beginning but he seemed to get more positive reviews towards end of season? Always a player I liked at Stirling and felt he played well in a fairly poor side.

Have you signed up any current players for next year or just waiting on an announcement? 

Danny Lennon signed him and didn't play him properly. The minute he left, he became our most consistent player.

21 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Interesting Owners’ Meeting tonight. Actually came away with a feeling of relative optimism. Don’t want to share all of the details on a public forum but I don’t mind sharing a summary if anyone wishes to PM me. Most importantly on a footballing front, we should be hearing some news on players VERY soon.

Agreed and actually quite impressed with McLean, seems genuinely happy to be here and motivated to do well. Certainly came across as a positive guy and seems all about players with attitude, commitment and desire to win games of football.

Looks like he wants fitness levels to be at optimal levels. Which was sadly lacking last year in particular 

1 minute ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Agreed and actually quite impressed with McLean, seems genuinely happy to be here and motivated to do well. Certainly came across as a positive guy and seems all about players with attitude, commitment and desire to win games of football.

Looks like he wants fitness levels to be at optimal levels. Which was sadly lacking last year in particular 

He shook my hand and I don’t think I’ll ever wash it again to be honest with you. He obviously learned from Danny Lennon in that respect!

Agree with above

Wasn’t overwhelmed with McLean appointment but thought he came across really well with clear idea of what he wants

The main points he mentioned I totally agree with

1. Last year the fitness levels were well below what they should have been.  We may not be the best team in the league this season but one thing we can be is the fittest

2. Also agree if you are fitter it just makes the game easier as it progresses 

3. Players at our level don’t need things complicated.  They just need explained to them in clear terms what is expected of them

4. Players at our level are much of a muchness.  And big side of the game at our level comes down to mental attitude

Willing to give him a chance but ultimately will come down to the squad of players and how he does the first 6-9 games

On 07/06/2023 at 11:59, Captain Sham said:

Funny thing is I actually played with Davie Hunter for a few years.  He was an excellent player who played at a very high level of Pro Youth for years and  could easily play L2 level in my opinion.  

On 07/06/2023 at 12:35, Scott-Replay said:

Sign him, Duffy.

And @Captain Sham, too.

8 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Agree with above

Wasn’t overwhelmed with McLean appointment but thought he came across really well with clear idea of what he wants

The main points he mentioned I totally agree with

1. Last year the fitness levels were well below what they should have been.  We may not be the best team in the league this season but one thing we can be is the fittest

2. Also agree if you are fitter it just makes the game easier as it progresses 

3. Players at our level don’t need things complicated.  They just need explained to them in clear terms what is expected of them

4. Players at our level are much of a muchness.  And big side of the game at our level comes down to mental attitude

Willing to give him a chance but ultimately will come down to the squad of players and how he does the first 6-9 games

Hearing he had no input in the release or retaining of any of last seasons squad.

Hearing he has no input into the signing of the new season squad.

Hearing we have “solved” the two centre training problem by moving to Stenhousemuir on a Monday and Wednesday now being the only part time Club not training on Tuesdays and Thursdays. How many of the squad will be unable to train on Mondays due to matchday strains or knocks? Saturday matchday set up on a Wednesday?  What about when mid week matches are necessary?

Some nice incremental income for a competitor to add to their playing budget- wonder where this deal was struck? A Boardroom or at a family Sunday lunch.

If the Crown Point bid fails, can we rule out long term ground sharing at Ochilview?

Edited by Harry Hood Fan Club
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Peter Grant signs a two-year deal. Bet nobody saw that coming in January.

I must admit, that’s a really weird one for me. You punted him on loan at the business end of the season for a completely unfit and crocked Ryan McGeever and now he’s getting a year deal. He done OK with us but our defensive record after he arrived was pretty awful, I wasn’t overly keen on us trying to keep him. 

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I must admit, that’s a really weird one for me. You punted him on loan at the business end of the season for a completely unfit and crocked Ryan McGeever and now he’s getting a year deal. He done OK with us but our defensive record after he arrived was pretty awful, I wasn’t overly keen on us trying to keep him. 

Aye I'm surprised by that. Especially on a two year deal.

When he first came in, despite our drop off in form, Peter Grant was very good. But it feel like teams sussed out how to exploit his lack of pace within a few weeks, and he was toiling massively by the end of his time with us. I'd have happily kept him in March, and wouldn't have been averse to keeping him as backup if he was relatively cheap now I suppose, but I wouldn't have wanted him starting every week for us I don't think. Not unless we we're playing against a team who could only go route one.

42 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Hearing he has no input into the signing of the new season squad.

Not exactly he said and Chairman s also that he was recommending players to Duffy.

At lest 6 trialists are pitching up first day training 

I only hope that these signings are first to be announced as it’s re-signed players and that they are MINIMUM standard we are getting.

That said fecken Parry! Abysmal, unless he comes back pre season 3 stone lighter and with a better attitude. And is only no 2!

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

There were rumours of a falling out between him and Duffy being the reason we sent him out. Makes it even stranger that he’s been offered a two-year deal given Duffy is the guy primarily in charge of that side of things. To be honest, I felt he was okay at times last season. Certainly an improvement on Thicot who was the ultimate bomb scare. His lack of pace is an obvious limiting factor though.

I see Duthie has been announced as leaving. A shame as I would have liked to have seen him when fit but I think it’s fair to say we didn’t get to see the best of him following his return. He’s from Edinburgh so he may pop up at a Spartans/Bonnyrigg etc.