Clyde Season 23/24

To any QoS fans asking about Docherty, usually at this level of the game when a player moves for a fee there is disgruntlement amongst fans

Think this is the first time I have ever see a player move for a fee and there is 100% support for the player leaving the building

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else’s opinion

Unbelievable that anyone would want to pay a fee for him.  Wouldnt have him back if you paid us to take him back

I'd be happier seeing the back of Rennie than Doherty, to be honest. If McLean is being serious about a high-energy team built around conditioning then he is completely incompatible with that, based on his performances from February onwards. It obviously leaves us with even more recruitment to do, but any honest grafter with some physicality about them will be of more use to us than a guy who jogs around and occasionally gets himself on the end of things between the sticks.

9 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I'd be happier seeing the back of Rennie than Doherty, to be honest. If McLean is being serious about a high-energy team built around conditioning then he is completely incompatible with that, based on his performances from February onwards. It obviously leaves us with even more recruitment to do, but any honest grafter with some physicality about them will be of more use to us than a guy who jogs around and occasionally gets himself on the end of things between the sticks.

I would say Doherty and Rennie are similar in that regard. The only difference for me is Rennie showed flashes of ability and chipped in with a few goals. Not great, though, I wouldn’t be too gutted if he left, either.

Imo Docherty was lots of effort but little instinct. Where as Rennie has decent instincts but no effort.

Very surprised we’ve got cash for him, who are we to doubt the Duffsters transfer strategy, after giving him an 18 month contract was widely slated. 

Edited by Clyde01

32 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Was speaking to a relative of Rennie last week

He didn’t give any indication that he was moving on but did say that he hasn’t been fully fit since joined the club and thinks a full preseason will do him good

I really hope so as Rennie showed ability on the ball, but was ponderous and didn’t chase back. If it really was fitness then fingers crossed we might have a decent goal threat. That said, as Stonehouse said before (iirc) he gets into good poacher positions but we still need the service line.

3 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

He didn’t give any indication that he was moving on but did say that he hasn’t been fully fit since joined the club and thinks a full preseason will do him good

Good news if true, and does make sense as he was blowing out his arse if he played anything over a Half !I

Would agree that unlike Doherty Rennie has at least showed a bit of ability, but a big improvement required next season.

5 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

I don’t think he’s been fully fit for a couple of years now. I’m a big fan of Martin Rennie and had he been fit would still have had him at Montrose, really hope he can get a good pre season and have a good run at it again.

The 18 month contracts were obviously given out because it was known we’d likely get relegated and it gives us a tiny bit of protection against losing every player for free. As @The Moonster previously said, the fee was likely peanuts (did someone here mention that the fee for Allan was £7k?) but at least it’s *something*. If it was £3k - that’s £3k more than we had in the coffers.

Its not a Duffy master stroke, it’s just a normal thing that makes sense.

Just moved back to Scotland after being away for 8 years. Hoping to start coming along to the games and start bringing my young son. Equal parts looking forward to it and dreading it reading back on this and last season's Clyde season threads 😂

55 minutes ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Just moved back to Scotland after being away for 8 years. Hoping to start coming along to the games and start bringing my young son. Equal parts looking forward to it and dreading it reading back on this and last season's Clyde season threads 😂

Welcome back!

57 minutes ago, macclyde+ said:

Stay off the methane pal

it's Methil, good try weedgie, on yer first post

ffs this going to be a long seasin

57 minutes ago, macclyde+ said:

Stay off the methane pal

On 12/06/2023 at 12:46, Brian Carrigan said:

Terrible. I am honestly equal parts flabbergasted and delighted by this one.

The drop off in quality between Jordan Allan and Doherty was stark. Jordan Allan wasn't even that good, he just 'done stuff'. Admittedly Doherty didn't look fit for a second during his time at Clyde, but I don't know if that's because of an injury or because his style of play is laboured. Some fans on here liked him because he seemed 'up for it' but even that was a stretch. I certainly don't think he can play up front on his own. He can't run, so you need bodies close to him. He also can't turn, which means he was garbage with his back to goal and I don't think I seen him win one header.

I am nervous though. I suspect whatever meagre fee we received from him will be swallowed up elsewhere. Just like the Allan money, I doubt there will be an increase in the quality of new player. There's not much overlap in the venn diagram of good strikers and free strikers so signing someone up at this point will be tough.

The difference between Jordan Allan and a lot of the strikers that  have passed through our sorry wee club of late is work ethic.  JA would never win anything in the air, but play the ball to his feet, and he would work hard to try to achieve an end product.