Clyde Season 23/24

11 minutes ago, BridiesHereBridiesThere said:

He was on loan with us for the second half of this season, he’s 6ft5 and only made about 3 appearances and he’s fucking bollocks

I don’t think he’s SPFL football material

Sounds like exactly the type of player we like to go for!

17 minutes ago, David W said:

If there is one thing that Duffy can do, it's find and mould a centre half.

Lennon could that.  He’d mould them into a full back, though, because the ones we had weren’t good enough.

Not exactly glowing endorsements on the new signings all round plus the only player extension that seems like a coup being Cuddihy. Not a great day.

I’m sure Peter Grant and Ross Forbes will fit well with McLeans super fit, high intensity, heart on the sleeve approach. 🙄

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Why as a player/ coach would McLean bring up the point of fitness levels and undermine Duffy as manager in the process?

I got the impression it was more a dig at Lennon. Also alluded to Danny prepared reports on opposing teams really well but over complicated what he asked players to do to combat the opposition. I’d agree with that as Lennon changed team and game plan every week. 

I also got impression last night that McLean was far from impressed with  last years squad mentality and attitude. Vague reference to poor changing room.

5 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I got the impression it was more a dig at Lennon. Also alluded to Danny prepared reports on opposing teams really well but over complicated what he asked players to do to combat the opposition. I’d agree with that as Lennon changed team and game plan every week. 

I also got impression last night that McLean was far from impressed with  last years squad mentality and attitude. Vague reference to poor changing room.

That was my take too, he definitely suggested that things were a bit amiss. I do hope he gets the opportunity to put his own identity on things. He certainly seemed to speak well and he seemed quite clear about the sort of players he’d like in. Whilst Jim Duffy might have ‘experience and contacts’, he brings in the same handful of players all the time. I’m fully expecting Joe McKee to rock up at us sometime too. I’m not saying that this is automatically a bad thing, but it’d be hard for McLean to put his stamp on things if he’s coaching players he didn’t necessarily want signed.

Anyway, despite having played Dumbarton quite a lot in recent times, I genuinely don’t know much about Carswell. I suppose he must have something about him to have made over 200 appearances and I’d imagine he’ll do okay in League Two? I’m aware that Forbes can’t run, which concerns me as Peter Grant can’t run either. He might be useful for the odd moment of magic but I would be a bit worried if he’s a regular starter.

I’m okay with Dunachie signing. He seems to come with a relatively decent write up from folk at Motherwell and is only 19. We were always going to need bodies at centre-half with McLean and Thicot out of the equation and a 6 ft 4’, 19 year old boy is a relatively low risk option. Plenty of room for Sula to still re-sign should he want to as we’d be looking for four bodies in that position, I would imagine. Like David W said, even down the bottom end of League Two, with no money, Duffy always managed to bring in decent centre halves so I’m actually inclined to trust him that there’s something there worth working with.

I’ll somehow end up missing all of them for a few different reasons unless I go all the way up to Cove on a Tuesday night. I wouldn’t care if they were friendlies but I always get a bit annoyed at missing ‘competitive’ games.

I’d say the previous Forfar fan’s post on Dunachie was somewhat harsh.

Granted he did only make two appearances for us and was brought in as a back up, it’s hard to give a definitive opinion on him.

I only saw him in one of those games and in that he didn’t do too much wrong all things considered. When your defensive partner is Andy Munro, you have to play as two CB’s to cover for him doing whatever he wants so he was never going to be able to defend properly.

He will obviously show more of his ability with a run of games but I don’t think he was ever going to get that in his loan spell.

4 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Yeah agree with above with what McLean was saying.

He was basically saying that the fitness levels and mentality wasnt right from the start of the season and it wasnt able to be sorted.

3 hours ago, fafc1885 said:

I’d say the previous Forfar fan’s post on Dunachie was somewhat harsh.

Granted he did only make two appearances for us and was brought in as a back up, it’s hard to give a definitive opinion on him.

I only saw him in one of those games and in that he didn’t do too much wrong all things considered. When your defensive partner is Andy Munro, you have to play as two CB’s to cover for him doing whatever he wants so he was never going to be able to defend properly.

He will obviously show more of his ability with a run of games but I don’t think he was ever going to get that in his loan spell.

Saw him twice. Both times looked very clumsy . Maybe a run of games would sort him out as he is young 

On 09/06/2023 at 12:06, Brian Carrigan said:

Happy enough with Carswell but I’m sure @Jan Vojáček will be able to fill us in more!

Also happy to see that McLean won’t be playing next season. 

Apologies, was at a wedding yesterday so didn't have a chance to post a big screed.

Stuart Carswell is a strange player. He was both excellent and dreadful for us. As well as being highly rated by the fans, but not universally liked. There was always a feeling that he was playing within himself to a degree.

When he first came in he was just what we'd been missing. A great January 2017 transfer window saw Carsy join Lewis Vaughan, Calum Gallagher, Christian Nade and Ross McCrorie in joining us. He instantly made himself an important player, playing in a deep two of a 4-2-3-1 alongside Sam Stanton.

He would stay disciplined, win the ball back and play a good pass to someone like Stanton, Vaughan, Andy Stirling, Robert Thomson or whoever. There was nothing fancy or exciting about him, but he was key to our turnaround in the second half of the season. Metronomic was how I described him.

I was delighted when we kept him the following season. But unfortunately we lost a host of good players around him. And we played him with Kyle Hutton. They were too similar and it didn't really work. There were very few games where both of them played well, and it almost felt like Hutton did what Carsy was good at. So he started trying to do a bit more. But he couldn't really run with the ball, and when he was out of position then he could be a bit erratic at trying to get in.

The following year we started dreadfully in League One. But once Jim Duffy got in and we started to get our shit together then Carsy was back to his best. He played a few games at centre-half, where he looked good. And he won our POTY award. Despite Dom Thomas, Calum Gallagher and Ross Forbes all scoring double figures.

Then came the dismantling of that squad, which would've challenged for the title. With Carsy appointed captain.

Now I don't think he's a captain. It doesn't suit him. He's a player who will cruise by if he can, he needs to be put under pressure, he needs a gaffer and teammates on his case demanding high standards from him and he needs to be playing in a decent team. His best football came in good Sons sides. When he was in a poor team, he dropped to their level.

He remained captain when Stevie Farrell came in, but the general consensus was that their relationship wasn't all that great. He scored a fair few goals (mainly penalties) as we were relegated, but his performances were poor. And I think everyone expected him to move on after we went down.

He asked to leave and Faz agreed. But then they had a change of heart. He was stripped of the captaincy, but actually became a really important player for us. He started the season at centre-half alongside Gregor Buchanan and, for the first six months of the season, was probably one of our best players. He was cruising games and a major part of why we were top of the league. I really think centre-half is his position, because there's no place to hide.

That all changed in January though. He sold himself very cheaply for Forfar's winning goal against us, and I got the feeling that was the final straw for Faz. He did take risks at the back, and he did have some howlers. But that was maybe about that.

Once Peter Grant came in then Carsy barely played. I don't know if the relationship completely broke down or what. But a couple of injuries didn't help.

Off the park, he's a very big character. He's loud, he's jovial and quite likable. But doesn't seem like the most naturally professional. I know he rubbed a fair few of our players up the wrong way last season, and I get the feeling he needs a very firm gaffer to keep him in check.

That might sound fairly mixed. But I think he'll be a good signing for you guys if he's managed properly. The only reason he's playing at this level is because he can't really be arsed playing at a higher level imo. He was a good servant to us, although probably stayed about just a season or two too long.

Jim Duffy knows how to get a tune out of him. And I hope he does well. I think he's a better CB than CM, so it'll be interesting to see where he plays. And I think he's someone who needs to be an important member of the team to get the best out of him. Which he should be again at Clyde.

Will most of your fans like him? Probably not. Will he be a good player for you? I'd like to say he will be, yes. He's certainly a far better signing than Forbes I'd say, and a change or scenery is exactly what he needs.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Apologies, was at a wedding yesterday so didn't have a chance to post a big screed.

Stuart Carswell is a strange player. He was both excellent and dreadful for us. As well as being highly rated by the fans, but not universally liked. There was always a feeling that he was playing within himself to a degree.

When he first came in he was just what we'd been missing. A great January 2017 transfer window saw Carsy join Lewis Vaughan, Calum Gallagher, Christian Nade and Ross McCrorie in joining us. He instantly made himself an important player, playing in a deep two of a 4-2-3-1 alongside Sam Stanton.

He would stay disciplined, win the ball back and play a good pass to someone like Stanton, Vaughan, Andy Stirling, Robert Thomson or whoever. There was nothing fancy or exciting about him, but he was key to our turnaround in the second half of the season. Metronomic was how I described him.

I was delighted when we kept him the following season. But unfortunately we lost a host of good players around him. And we played him with Kyle Hutton. They were too similar and it didn't really work. There were very few games where both of them played well, and it almost felt like Hutton did what Carsy was good at. So he started trying to do a bit more. But he couldn't really run with the ball, and when he was out of position then he could be a bit erratic at trying to get in.

The following year we started dreadfully in League One. But once Jim Duffy got in and we started to get our shit together then Carsy was back to his best. He played a few games at centre-half, where he looked good. And he won our POTY award. Despite Dom Thomas, Calum Gallagher and Ross Forbes all scoring double figures.

Then came the dismantling of that squad, which would've challenged for the title. With Carsy appointed captain.

Now I don't think he's a captain. It doesn't suit him. He's a player who will cruise by if he can, he needs to be put under pressure, he needs a gaffer and teammates on his case demanding high standards from him and he needs to be playing in a decent team. His best football came in good Sons sides. When he was in a poor team, he dropped to their level.

He remained captain when Stevie Farrell came in, but the general consensus was that their relationship wasn't all that great. He scored a fair few goals (mainly penalties) as we were relegated, but his performances were poor. And I think everyone expected him to move on after we went down.

He asked to leave and Faz agreed. But then they had a change of heart. He was stripped of the captaincy, but actually became a really important player for us. He started the season at centre-half alongside Gregor Buchanan and, for the first six months of the season, was probably one of our best players. He was cruising games and a major part of why we were top of the league. I really think centre-half is his position, because there's no place to hide.

That all changed in January though. He sold himself very cheaply for Forfar's winning goal against us, and I got the feeling that was the final straw for Faz. He did take risks at the back, and he did have some howlers. But that was maybe about that.

Once Peter Grant came in then Carsy barely played. I don't know if the relationship completely broke down or what. But a couple of injuries didn't help.

Off the park, he's a very big character. He's loud, he's jovial and quite likable. But doesn't seem like the most naturally professional. I know he rubbed a fair few of our players up the wrong way last season, and I get the feeling he needs a very firm gaffer to keep him in check.

That might sound fairly mixed. But I think he'll be a good signing for you guys if he's managed properly. The only reason he's playing at this level is because he can't really be arsed playing at a higher level imo. He was a good servant to us, although probably stayed about just a season or two too long.

Jim Duffy knows how to get a tune out of him. And I hope he does well. I think he's a better CB than CM, so it'll be interesting to see where he plays. And I think he's someone who needs to be an important member of the team to get the best out of him. Which he should be again at Clyde.

Will most of your fans like him? Probably not. Will he be a good player for you? I'd like to say he will be, yes. He's certainly a far better signing than Forbes I'd say, and a change or scenery is exactly what he needs.

Blimey!

Take the rest of the day off

22 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Notoriously quite difficult to recruit in January but that was some calibre of players to bring in, especially in hindsight and what they achieved or gone on to achieve. Nearly all played an integral part in the remainder of that season and ultimately ensured your safety.

A few very important wins for the Sons against Rovers, if I remember, who finished 9th on goal difference. That was the year that St Mirren were bottom for large periods and only avoided being in the playoffs by goal difference too. How times have changed for them with their top 6 SPL finish only 6 years later.

Fantastic analysis again as was the Dabrowski piece in the Rovers thread.

Hope Carswell screws the nut at Clyde as he could turn out to be a strong addition and astute piece of business. Look forward to seeing The Bully Wee up at Balmoral next month for our LC fixture.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Notoriously quite difficult to recruit in January but that was some calibre of players to bring in, especially in hindsight and what they achieved or gone on to achieve. Nearly all played an integral part in the remainder of that season and ultimately ensured your safety.

A few very important wins for the Sons against Rovers, if I remember, who finished 9th on goal difference. That was the year that St Mirren were bottom for large periods and only avoided being in the playoffs by goal difference too. How times have changed for them with their top 6 SPL finish only 6 years later.

Fantastic analysis again as was the Dabrowski piece in the Rovers thread.

Hope Carswell screws the nut at Clyde as he could turn out to be a strong addition and astute piece of business. Look forward to seeing The Bully Wee up at Balmoral next month for our LC fixture.

That second-half to the season was incredible. And from having Stevie Aitken on the podcast a few months ago, he believes that team would've challenged for the playoffs if we'd had them together all year.

They almost go under the radar a bit because of how poor the first half to the season was. But that was one of the best Sons teams I've seen, and one of the best part-time teams there's been in Scotland in recent history imo.

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

McKee signs for Peterhead. Can’t help but feel they’ll be happier with him than we will be with Forbes.

Don’t disagree but if we had signed him too a lot of the support would have given the Club stick for signing another Duffy / Dumbarton player.