Clyde Season 23/24

2 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Happy enough with Carswell but I’m sure @Jan Vojáček will be able to fill us in more!

Also happy to see that McLean won’t be playing next season. 

For me he could've gone 2 years ago and he wouldn't have been missed. He's decent enough in the tackle but other than him weirdly hitting penalties theres not much else to his game. We reinvented him as a centre half last season which worked well in the beginning but unravelled like the rest of our season towards the end. There was also the suggested rumour that he was a bit of a problem in the dressing room too last season (I believe the exact words used were "he was a cancer"). I'm not sure the guys head is screwed on any more but it may just be he needed a fresh start. 

1 minute ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I’ll be honest, that doesn’t sound too positive

I’d heard similar tbh and I don’t think it’s any surprise he had the captaincy taken off him. 

He’s a guy I never really took to, he always seemed to be embroiled in something. From fighting with a team mate on the pitch to rumours of being a problem in the dressing room, quite why he was ever made captain is beyond me. There were also rumours of him patching our training to attend a Rangers Europa League tie and I vaguely remember his libido getting him into bother at one point as well. 

As a player his ability to play as a central midfielder has nose dived over recent seasons. He had a decent half season at centre back but other than that it’s been a long time since he turned in consistently good performances for us. I’d agree with Moonster that he should’ve been punted long before now. 

He served us fairly well over the years so I do hope he manages to find a bit of form with Clyde. 

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’d heard similar tbh and I don’t think it’s any surprise he had the captaincy taken off him. 

He’s a guy I never really took to, he always seemed to be embroiled in something. From fighting with a team mate on the pitch to rumours of being a problem in the dressing room, quite why he was ever made captain is beyond me. There were also rumours of him patching our training to attend a Rangers Europa League tie and I vaguely remember his libido getting him into bother at one point as well. 

As a player his ability to play as a central midfielder has nose dived over recent seasons. He had a decent half season at centre back but other than that it’s been a long time since he turned in consistently good performances for us. I’d agree with Moonster that he should’ve been punted long before now. 

He served us fairly well over the years so I do hope he manages to find a bit of form with Clyde. 

It wasn't training he missed, it was a match. I think it was sort of denied in the aftermath but not entirely sure.

It is going to be a long season. Not impressed at all by what I am reading.

McLean and Duffy were part of that shambles last year and said naff all then about fitness levels at that point.

Saw a few posts today calling for Ally Love to return as well. Sadly I probably agreed.

Edited by TheBigGuy

39 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Good to see Jim Duffy getting the band back together again with Forbes and Carswell as the first two signings.

I cannot believe Forbes is still getting a deal at this level. He's offered next to nothing for years now. Hasn't looked fit for about 4/5 years and his game is far too limited.

I have been looking for Carswell to go for years. For some weird reason, he had a reasonable rep with a fair amount of our fans and was always the choice pick when we had folk arguing we couldn't play him and Hutton together. I haven't rated him since his first season and a half with us really. Even in that time, he broke a team mates nose in an onfield debate... 

Not concerned about Clyde too much if that's the level of signing and Duffy is still involved in their recruitment like this.

2 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I cannot believe Forbes is still getting a deal at this level. He's offered next to nothing for years now. Hasn't looked fit for about 4/5 years and his game is far too limited.

I have been looking for Carswell to go for years. For some weird reason, he had a reasonable rep with a fair amount of our fans and was always the choice pick when we had folk arguing we couldn't play him and Hutton together. I haven't rated him since his first season and a half with us really. Even in that time, he broke a team mates nose in an onfield debate... 

Not concerned about Clyde too much if that's the level of signing and Duffy is still involved in their recruitment like this.

Guaranteed Carsey to do a full 80m sprint to signal GIRFUY In front of our support when he scores against us as our ex players inevitably do. 😂

5 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Saw a few posts today calling for Ally Love to return as well. Sadly I probably agreed.

I really wouldn’t go down that route, I thought he was fairly hopeless at this level last season and I’m not entirely sure what he actually offered us other than having a wee angry guy on the pitch to shout at the ref.

6 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Even in that time, he broke a team mates nose in an onfield debate... 

Was it not Carswell who had his nose broken after trying to start a scrap with Mark Docherty away at Dunfermline? I vaguely remember Sparky wiping him out with a headbutt after he started his pish 🤣

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I really wouldn’t go down that route, I thought he was fairly hopeless at this level last season and I’m not entirely sure what he actually offered us other than having a wee angry guy on the pitch to shout at the ref.

Absolutely no! Finished now 

4 minutes ago, PWL said:

Guaranteed Carsey to do a full 80m sprint to signal GIRFUY In front of our support when he scores against us as our ex players inevitably do. 😂

He might, but he was actually quite well thought of by the majority I think. Rare to see a player stay somewhere so long these days but in truth he should have been gone about 3 or 4 years ago, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Was it not Carswell who had his nose broken after trying to start a scrap with Mark Docherty away at Dunfermline? I vaguely remember Sparky wiping him out with a headbutt after he started his pish 🤣

You're probably correct. Either way, they were both being fannies 🤣

These are similar to the vibes I had when we were signing people like Robert Jones a couple of seasons ago. I'm not optimistic.

Also, what's the problem with Clyde signing decent fullbacks? Lyons! FFS!

Two year contract for Grant who can hardly run.

Are we just signing McLean's pals and folk in Duffy's phone book?

Doherty and Rennie also already here.

The signings don't exactly excite me. In fact, the exact opposite.

If the season ticket is any more than £25 I will have serious doubts about repurchasing it.

Can you imagine these players playing exciting football? I can't

The Carswell signing I can understand but Forbes getting another gig in the senior leagues is baffling.

Re Carswell there's a fair hatchet job going on from some Sons posters which I don't buy into - we've had a lot worse players than him, few of whom came close to 200-plus appearances.

It was fairly well known that he and Stevie Farrell latterly never saw eye-to-eye, and again I won't condemn him there, so maybe a change of scenery will enable Clyde to get a tune out of him.  I wish him well, except of course when we meet this coming season.

We were right to let Ally Love go last year, he was absolutely done at that level and wouldn’t be getting him back. 

In comparison to last year the signings are at least coming from better teams and not Gretna. 

1 hour ago, TheBigGuy said:

It is going to be a long season. Not impressed at all by what I am reading.

McLean and Duffy were part of that shambles last year and said naff all then about fitness levels at that point.

Why as a player/ coach would McLean bring up the point of fitness levels and undermine Duffy as manager in the process?