Clyde Season 23/24

On 26/06/2023 at 13:33, Bullyweeno1 said:

Strangely enough he just popped into my head over the weekend.  Was thinking he must be a fair age now and that I hadnt heard anything about him for a while.

RIP Craig - worked tirelessly for the Bully Wee when with us and was good to see that he moved onwards and upwards when he left us as despite the "Brown must Go" shouts from the Shawfield terraces I think he did all you could have expected with what he had at his disposal.

Will go down as a Clyde legend.

If people could have looked 30 years into the future instead of 30 years backwards at that time,  then everyone would have been very appreciative of what we had. A country mile ahead of where the club is now in terms of management, squad, outlook and standing.

39 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Is anyone actually excited about this upcoming season?

I'm definitely not.

Then again, I am a right miserable bugger.

I am genuinely not sure why anyone would be excited at this stage. The solution to a disengaged fanbase is not lack of engagement.

No kits been unveiled, minimal info about preseason, a squad with no flair or pace, awful cup draw, a completely uninteresting division, another season at a fake home .

The worry is that disinterest turns into genuine fear, in the case of the squad and stadium.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Is anyone actually excited about this upcoming season?

I'm definitely not.

Then again, I am a right miserable bugger.

The best we can hope for is to keep our head above water, the squad being assembled is very difficult to be optimistic about. Shaping up to be another shite season. 

I do think we've been massively hamstrung by our fate being unknown for weeks more than our peers; it was always going to be a really tough recruitment job this summer, but even so, some of those retained are quite sobering and none of the new boys inspire much excitement. It's hard to have much faith in this happening, but the hope is that we can start from a base of being rather naff and over the coming transfer windows, build a familiar squad around a strong core of players while recruiting better quality in place of whatever shows itself to be the chaff. We need to stop having such a drastic churn of players every year. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the disparity between the physical excellence McLean is striving for and the boys we've actually ended up going for.

Impossible to get excited about this season at the moment given the underwhelming signings.

Absolutely no creativity within the squad which is criminal. Rubbish as we were last 2 years in particular we did at least have players like Splain, Salkeld and Roberts. Who tried to be positive and as creative as they were able. 

Unless by some miracle Duffy actually gets off his backside and tries to sign someone out-with his own limited sphere of players this season is head for a total bore fest at best. As I’ve said before I think Duffy is lazy which is evident from his signing policy so far. I’ll be delighted to be proven wrong but I doubt it. 

A New Year (well 30th December) "derby" game against Stenny at Home, who knew Stenny were our local rivals (although in saying that I suppose geographically either them or Dumbarton are our nearest neighbours this year)??? :)  

Excited to get horsed by Spartans in the first game of the season!

I still maintain that if we fill the below holes we *might* be ok. To be mid table, we probably need to replace Rennie too. Russel MacLean is available and at this point, we might as well.

Leighfield

Cuddihy     Sula     P.Grant    Craig

Scullion    Carswell

Forbes            ?                    ?

Rennie

Edited by Brian Carrigan

10 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

I do think we've been massively hamstrung by our fate being unknown for weeks more than our peers; it was always going to be a really tough recruitment job this summer, but even so, some of those retained are quite sobering and none of the new boys inspire much excitement. It's hard to have much faith in this happening, but the hope is that we can start from a base of being rather naff and over the coming transfer windows, build a familiar squad around a strong core of players while recruiting better quality in place of whatever shows itself to be the chaff. We need to stop having such a drastic churn of players every year. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the disparity between the physical excellence McLean is striving for and the boys we've actually ended up going for.

We’ve had a huge turnover in playing squad every season since we first got relegated to league 2. So much so that when there’s discussions on here about recent ex-players who were extremely shite etc that I can’t remember most of them. 

we must be up there with the most players signed over the last decade or so in all four divisions.

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

We’ve had a huge turnover in playing squad every season since we first got relegated to league 2. So much so that when there’s discussions on here about recent ex-players who were extremely shite etc that I can’t remember most of them. 

we must be up there with the most players signed over the last decade or so in all four divisions.

That's interesting. I remember saying the same a couple of years ago and still feel similar about ex sons. There are so many around all the Leagues but I think it's possibly the same for most of the league sides across the SPFL (bottom 2 leagues in particular). It's likely because of how many players were only signing 1 year deals for a long period of time.

It's only really since Faz came in that we have made more use of longer contracts, with the exception of a handful of guys, even back to when we were in the Championship.

2 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

That's interesting. I remember saying the same a couple of years ago and still feel similar about ex sons. There are so many around all the Leagues but I think it's possibly the same for most of the league sides across the SPFL (bottom 2 leagues in particular). It's likely because of how many players were only signing 1 year deals for a long period of time.

It's only really since Faz came in that we have made more use of longer contracts, with the exception of a handful of guys, even back to when we were in the Championship.

I think I’ve noticed it so much because I started going to games in the late 90s and from then until Bomber Brown took us down 2 leagues we always had quite settled squads for the most part with players a lot players staying for 2 or 3 years plus.

Suppose being part time now brings about a larger turnover of players with shorter term contracts.

16 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the disparity between the physical excellence McLean is striving for and the boys we've actually ended up going for.

I was all behind McLean when he said that his sole aim was to have a physically fit squad

But to say this then sign the likes of Forbes is totally bonkers as we all know that you couldn’t get a player that physical fitness is his well known biggest issue

1 hour ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

I was all behind McLean when he said that his sole aim was to have a physically fit squad

But to say this then sign the likes of Forbes is totally bonkers as we all know that you couldn’t get a player that physical fitness is his well known biggest issue

I think the problem it highlights is that Duffy is still the guy signing the players. McLean could have all the coaching identity he likes but if the he and Duffy are not aligned we’ll be onto a hiding.

Forbes is by far the the least fit player in the division. Can barely move and blowing hard after 20 minutes.

Keep him to cameos though and there is still dynamite in that left peg to dae hingz late in games.