Clyde Season 23/24

9 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Where was Fraser Malcolm last week when Rennie had to come off and we ended up with Jai Stevenson and Ewan Cameron up front?

Tells a story in itself. In the few times I’ve seen him I’ve thought he can at least hold it up and win headers, if young is available it needs to be him and rennie though. 

1 hour ago, Ocelot1877 said:

I think Gartcairn are one of the teams in the west that have a decent backing as they have a few good players that will be on a good packet that could do a job for us just now. Ian McShane, Paddy Boyle and Mark Mcguigan.

They also have Scott Rumsby, Jamie Bain,  Darren Smith and Kevin Nicoll. Would have thought Rumsby, Smith and Bain would have options higher up the chain. Rumsby was on a good wage at Pollok last year 

With the way things are going in the west we aren’t just competing against league rivals for good players we are competing against teams further down also. Some good players sticking in the west of Scotland league and good players dropping down. Think it was really seen this past summer with the level of players being signed later in the window. Same as ourselves a lot of other league 2 teams announced initial signings that had obviously been done before the window open and then there was nothing. Everyone was shopping around for quality within the dregs of what was left.

Been saying it for a good few years now the times are changing in Scottish football and teams like Ourselves, Brechin, Elgin, Berwick, Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath had to evolve or be left behind. If we survive this season it should serve as a wake up call to the board, management and fans as to what the situation realistically is. 

The damage is done and we are going down. The people responsible for this mess are still running he club. The track record confirms the club will continue  on a downward spiral until we get a new competent board in place. These guys couldn't be trusted to run a bath. Cant wait until the game tonight. If it  wasn't so serious it would be funny.

Just went into a local barbers and McCall was getting his haircut (something he doesn't like according to the owner, who is a mutual friend). 

Wished him all the best tonight, and said he's got a hard job on his hands.

"Too fucking right!", was the reply.

At least he is under no illusions about the task at hand.

Meh. After a poor start where Jeanfield eventually puffed themselves out, we have been the better side as the half went on but so many of those players are completely shot of whatever confidence they may have had at some point.

Fairly comfortable in the end and we navigated another potentially difficult tie without too much hassle. Not going to analyse the game too much as the league is obviously still a huge problem but it’s nice to not come away from a game thoroughly miserable for a change. Leighfield was much better tonight, including his absolute worldie at the end. Centre-halves were fine and Cameron was playing well until his red card (don’t get me started on that). Huge problems remain in the obvious areas, but that’s not going to change until at least January. Give us Rangers/Celtic away please (or another winnable tie obviously).

The players worked hard and whilst we are clearly a poor side, we did the job tonight. I think we are definitely better than EoS level. I've no idea how they stuck 6 past Elgin and their keeper looked the sort of guy that gets called in as a ringer on a Sunday morning.

Sula should be starting every game, his distribution is by far the best of our centre halves. A back three suits Grant (maybe noone else though?). Hynes was our best player by a mile; McCall got his selection in midfield spot on. Leslie did well later on when we were down to ten. Just delighted to get any sort of win, and longer than a full week to enjoy it.

It's always a laugh when a referee stops refereeing properly and just ends up in a spiral of exceedingly awful decisions. That said, Cameron's tackle (sliding front on, into a standing player) is almost always given as a foul and a card, even if it's perfectly timed. I hate it.

5 minutes ago, David W said:

The players worked hard and whilst we are clearly a poor side, we did the job tonight. I think we are definitely better than EoS level. I've no idea how they stuck 6 past Elgin and their keeper looked the sort of guy that gets called in as a ringer on a Sunday morning.

Sula should be starting every game, his distribution is by far the best of our centre halves. A back three suits Grant (maybe noone else though?). Hynes was our best player by a mile; McCall got his selection in midfield spot on. Leslie did well later on when we were down to ten. Just delighted to get any sort of win, and longer than a full week to enjoy it.

It's always a laugh when a referee stops refereeing properly and just ends up in a spiral of exceedingly awful decisions. That said, Cameron's tackle (sliding front on, into a standing player) is almost always given as a foul and a card, even if it's perfectly timed. I hate it.

Their best player (by a street) was injured and didn't play tonight.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Their best player (by a street) was injured and didn't play tonight.

One player doesn’t make the difference from a defeat to a 6-0 win.

We didn’t do a great deal, but I thought they offered nothing. A good win overall, without the obvious areas needing strengthening. Roll on the draw. 

Much better performance tonight compared to last week albeit against limited opposition.  Defence was solid and didn’t look troubled throughout.  Hynes in midfield was excellent and as a whole we looked more organised although lack any creativity.  Leslie directly up front was fantastic and should play there going forward rather than wide.  Even with 10 men we worked hard and never looked in any real danger imo.  

McCall looks animated at times and showing frustration at our lack of ability but another game under his belt and things look to be better than even a few weeks ago.  

A massive confidence boost, especially with the clean sheet, sets us up for a winnable game away to Elgin next Saturday.  Let’s hope it’s a corner turned. 

Edited by Captain Sham
Spelling errors

Good to see most of the players putting in a shift and working hard for each other. We didn't play particularly well but as others have said, we didn't need to.

Looks like McCall is already half way towards sorting out the lack of confidence and at the very least has us organised and much more disciplined. He may be a Thistle b****** but he's OUR Thistle b****** now.

I know it's early days but let's get the cheque book out in Jan and really go for it. If we could even make the playoffs it would be a turnaround worthy of a Netflix documentary. Step aside Wrexham!

Edited by RutherGlen

On 23/11/2023 at 23:11, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I remember Janczyk in his brief spell with us. I remember him being decent with a good footballing brain.

Pat Clarke was criminally misused during his time with us. A natural goalscorer that Bomber Brown played out wide and at times wing back. Madness.

On 23/11/2023 at 23:13, Brian Carrigan said:

Janczyk done well for us iirc. Obviously not an athlete but done his job.

You could see Clarke was some player for us and scored a fair few goals but the Clyde Madness struck and he was played miles out of position. 

Speaks volumes about our last decade plus when a human pie that never left the centre circle is being hailed and missed.

21 hours ago, Replays said:

Maitland to stand for election to the board. Great news IMO.

Hopefully with his election he'll pick who he speaks to pre-match more selectively so our plans aren't plastered all over pieandbovril 😉

Win last night but it was certainly nothing to get carried away about against very poor opposition. It's a habit though and hopefully we carry it in to next week against opposition who are similarly appalling

From where I was sitting Cameron made a two footed challenge which looked a bit dangerous. I don't think the ref had much option. 

Jeanfield competed well and you'd be forgiven for thinking the 10 outfield players were in the same league as us. Some good link up play and were it not for Craig getting subbed at half time as he was so poor, and their keeper being poor, it could have went to extra time.

Glad we won, but I won't be getting carried away. I'm really not sure where Mccall should start. Pleased to see a manager look as if he cares on the touchline.