Clyde Season 23/24

16 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Fingers crossed we can get even 2-3 of the numbers quoted. Even that MIGHT be enough given our obvious recent improvement. 

Yeah I am beginning to think that is likely to be the number of new players we are likely to get rather than the 5 or 6 that keeps getting banded about.

If you take into account the signings of Hamilton, Leitch and Howie that were announced before the window then we are already halfway there in terms of the new bodies that were due to come in. I reckon we will sign another 3 or 4 in this window and then we will be done, I don’t think we will be bringing in 7 this window on top of those 3.

52 minutes ago, ItsCaffers said:

Only place in the East End would be Stepford.  Surely not. 

Stepford isn’t the only option. 

Glasgow Life said it doesn’t currently have the money available to re open the hockey centre stadium down at Glasgow Green. I’d imagine it’s a good option for us with it having a lot of the infrastructure in place. We would need to rip out the pitch and place Astro or turf mind you

Edited by Ocelot1877

1 hour ago, same_ol_g35 said:

In the interview he mentioned 2-3 years to develop the site. So doesn't sound like the hockey centre is the place he's hinting at. Would be amazing if it was though. 

Will obviously need to wait and see but I don’t think the hockey centre is as ready for league football as you might think at first glance. I’d imagine it’s got good bones but the site in general will need redevelopment to get it ready for a good number of people turning up every week for the forseeeable

If money were no object and we could pick any design, any site what would we actually want? In an ideal world I'd love to demolish Shawfield and build New Shawfield with a 5000 capacity (for reasons widely understood and previously discussed, that's a non-starter but hey, this is fantasy). Personally, I love some of those stadiums you in the EFL lower leagues. With that in mind, I'd love something like Fleetwood (capacity circa 5k) or Burton Albions place. A seated stand for 2000, a covered terracing for 2000 and 2 uncovered terracing (for those few sunny Saturdays we get in a Scottish season) each holding 500-1000 would suit us.

7 hours ago, 1993 said:

Very little movement at any clubs at the moment. The last few days of the window will be where it will happen.

If McCall had any sense he’d be acting before the last few days of the window. Clyde aren’t really in a position to f**k around. 

I appreciate that Clyde is probably a bit of a harder sell than Dumbarton at the minute but we’ve signed 3 in the last week.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If McCall had any sense he’d be acting before the last few days of the window. Clyde aren’t really in a position to f**k around. 

I appreciate that Clyde is probably a bit of a harder sell than Dumbarton at the minute but we’ve signed 3 in the last week.

I’d also say that, if the stuff about Zanatta has any truth, then McCall is clearly aiming high. As much as I think he’s a fucking shitebag, he could have his pick of part-time clubs more or less. I’d imagine that’s a factor as the boys he’s looking at will have other offers. 

Could it be that there are “done deals” in the offing, but McCall doesn’t want to bring them in till after Aberdeen game?

Imagine you are a current player getting ready for a big televised game and 3- 5 new players who you know will replace you walk in the door or at the very least appear on the web site in a big fanfare.
Do you think they would perform?

(Don’t think it will be 5 right enough?)

Obviously that match will likely be a damage limitation job given the players we have available for Friday 

Just a thought?

Edited by FREDDYFRY

We are obviously aiming very high with our recruitment this month, given some of the names mentioned. Maitland, McCall and our league status will live or die by how sensible that decision proves to be with hindsight. We're in a position with the squad now where it's possible that we could avoid tenth spot, but it would require serious good fortune with injuries given the paucity of cover, competition or general quality in some areas. I would hope that there are plenty of contingencies for key targets missed but, in a window notoriously difficult to do business in, that may not necessarily be the case. What we were told by Maitland at the fans' meeting was that, at that time, he expected around eight total arrivals and roughly four of those to be in place early on in the window - we saw three in for the first of January, so that wasn't far off. The longer we go by without any further business being conducted, the more worrisome the situation becomes though; rumours are swirling about targets who may have rejected us and why they've done so, and the messaging from those involved in recruitment is descending from bullish, robust and convincing to something rather more fraught, frustrated and hopeful.

I don't doubt that Maitland and McCall are working their bollocks off in trying to improve the squad; they have both, evidently, been acutely aware of just what a state the squad was in since they respectively arrived at the club. They've obviously got a hefty chunk of change to enact change if we've been able to pay up/terminate a handful of contracts and then target the likes of Jordan Allan and Dario Zanatta on loan, both of whom will be on a wage that is a high-ticket one at part-time level. If they are two of between five and seven total targets, then there's obviously a lot to play with there. It is refreshing that the message continues to be about getting the right guys in and ensuring they are players of genuine quality, but the more January marches on, the more susceptible we are becoming to a late-window scramble for warm bodies and gambles.

With three (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) available loan slots to use up, it could well be that there are some deals in the pipeline which haven't been formalised yet because higher-up clubs want to add to their own squads first. With us largely targeting players who are good enough to play in League One, it could be as OTIG says, that the players themselves - quite rightly, too - want to see if a club in less of a clusterfuck would be willing to match or better whatever offer we've tabled. The three we have signed so far, despite fitting into that League One quality category, were unattached and therefore there was probably a keener sense of urgency on their parts to secure themselves a contract ASAP.

I wouldn't think that signings were being held back purely to protect the feelings of jobbers who are probably acutely aware by now that McCall will be chucking them right on the bench as soon as he can sign someone better. Maybe if it was another Jeanfield type tie where we could harbour reasonable expectations of progressing to the next round, but not when we're up against an Aberdeen side that'll be desperate to avoid a repeat of their shitemare last year.

On Liam Brown - he'd be a terrific signing, provided his heart was in it. Given his loan spell at Stenhousemuir and his drop down to EK, though, I'm not entirely convinced it would be. Undoubtedly a smashing player though and one that I'd be horrified to learn we hadn't at least had a conversation with.

I doubt it's the Hockey Centre you'll be getting, it feels far more likely that Scottish Hockey and local Clubs like Kelburne will receive sportscotland funding to re-open it.

Plus the optics of it would be awful with it being the 2014 Commies venue - especially since Scotland are rumoured to take on the Games again.

What seems more likely is that you'll get a plot of land from the football centre next door.