Clyde Season 23/24

14 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Ballantyne will be back to st Johnstone anyway, Rennie scored 14 this year which is a decent return and with better players could get the same or more. 

Kabia has shown in flashes the quality he has, but would be worth keeping but also needs to show he can stay fit. 

He’s out of contract at st Johnstone so would be available on a free. I’m not sold on us bringing him back, he’s not overly impressed imo but happy to let the manager decide.

1 minute ago, Clyde01 said:

He’s out of contract at st Johnstone so would be available on a free. I’m not sold on us bringing him back, he’s not overly impressed imo but happy to let the manager decide.

I’d assume they won’t be keeping him. Didn’t think he’s looked overly fit till the last few games where he’s been better. 

8 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

I’d assume they won’t be keeping him. Didn’t think he’s looked overly fit till the last few games where he’s been better. 

Yeah, can’t see st Johnstone keeping him. He was a decent player at Montrose so I had high expectations when we brought him in. He’s not really lived up to that though.

Cammy Ballantyne is also 24 years old, so he’s not exactly a young prospect.

You really want your centre midfield to be bossing the game and capable of taking things by the scruff of the neck, I never seen that from Ballantyne at all unfortunately.

What a relief we've avoided the unthinkable, would have been devastating if we had lost our club to the Lowland League. Lets get behind Allan Maitland now, support and build properly for the future and never again be in this situation.............

finally to all those who were disparaging/disrespectful of our famous Bully Wee, get it right up yer jacksey, fuds.......

I thought yesterday was by far Ballantyne's best game. I agree he has hardly set the heather alight, but I find it hard to be overly critical of any of the players that arrived in January or later.

It will be interesting to see these guys in a team that isn't playing the proverbial 'cup final' every week, when every mistake, or lost game is magnified a thousand times as we kept thinking every defeat was the end of the club. 

Everyone that came in after the New Year has contributed in some way. Even Kabia contributed something with the vital turnaround against Elgin at NDP. Don't think McCall has made a secret of the fact the team was cobbled together with whoever they could find. A full summer to have a go at it is actually quite and exciting prospect.

What's done now is done and there's a lot to be optimistic about. McCall was a good appointment and 9th seems to be enough to secure the financial backing of the generous supporter. Who knows? We could be sitting here next year having enjoyed a promotion push and looking forward to a new ground.

Whether McCall stays (I think I would prefer he did despite some questionable decisions in the last few months) or goes, I think there's a feeling about the club with Allan Maitland that it will not reach the depths of this year. I'm in the strange position where I now have trust in the club to do what is right and not make utterly horrific decisions.

Whilst picking this season to pieces is neutral, the outlook now is incredibly different to how it was in after Brian left. 

In terms of players, I hope some players may be tempted to stay after seeing what a good day with Clyde and the supporters looks like.

2 hours ago, Clyde85 said:

Can we please get rid of Ross Lyon this summer too?

Disagree.  His hame has improved greatly under the new regime.  I would be delighted to see him signed up. 

Just now, ScottR96 said:

McCall’s interview. Wow. Give him whatever he wants. 

I think he’s very clear about how he wants things to be. Clearly even he can see that there are improvements to be made all over the place and with Maitland, you couldn’t ask for a better duo. However, if it can’t quite fit for him and the financial input required then fair play. He’s left a massive legacy and it’ll never be forgotten. Good to see him smile too. He knows what it’s all about. 

A truly barnstorming five minutes of work from the boy McCall. It's great to hear the extent of his ambition for the club, but my only concern is that I'd rather see us try and grow a bit more sustainably than he seems to be intimating. It shouldn't be too hard to put in place the resources for building a squad that can win this division, but we've seen first-hand that the step up to League One presents a different kettle of fish, financially more than anything. The good news for us is that even if the visions of Maitland and McCall don't align, we can trust the former to recruit a good new manager.

Reading between the lines, it doesn't seem that McCall is too keen on Craig Howie which isn't any great surprise. I don't think we've seen the best of Cammy Ballantyne at all but he's clearly capable of much more and his subdued form for us may give us a bit of a free run at signing him. It's good to see he recognises the importance of Cuddihy but also the necessity to try and help him to get and stay a bit fitter. Ray Grant has been a bit up and down, but it must be a nightmare coming back from a serious injury mid-season and with the club and squad in the nick it was in. I suspect we'd see even more from him with a proper pre-season behind him.

There aren't many guys in the squad I would be chasing to be honest, obvious candidates aside (P. Grant, Hynes, Cameron, C. Scullion). As ever, much depends on the squad status and wages guys are willing to accept. You won't get a back-up full-back who can cover both sides as well as Ross Lyon has done since January, and I would be more than happy to keep him as a squad player. Rennie is a bit of an awkward type and his lack of standout attributes renders it difficult to make the case for him being a key player in a side with title ambitions but, again, as a squad player you won't get a lot better at this level. 

Hopefully noises start coming out from the club in the next few days as it's important we act quickly and decisively over the break. To that end, an interview or meeting with Maitland would be just the ticket. 

Those mentioning to keep Kabia, sorry no. We can't afford a luxury player who might turn up 5 minutes each game.

On the money I suspect we would have to pay him, not enough for an impact sub I'm afraid.

4 hours ago, Clyde_MM said:

That was absolutely tremendous yesterday. On top of the performance and survival, got the wee one along for her first game with her great grandad. Proud moment for me as Clyde enters the fourth generation in the family.

Great cameo. 4 generations is impressive.

The Great Escape is some feat. All looked lost but an incredible effort over the last two months. Brilliant and I hope Clyde build on it.

hopefully lessons will be learned but some good might come out of it. Clyde have been through the mill and this shows a lot of people still really care. Good noisy and passionate support after a long time of meh. 

Posted (edited)

KEEP

Kinnaer - Reliable GK who is a brilliant shot stopper 

Hamilton - POTS by a country mile

Howie - Should be a good squad player next year

Sula - Brings something to the team, will also be a good squad player

Dunachie - Legend, never seen him back out a challenge, is a fan favourite

Cuddihy - When fit he is a brilliant player who should start, also keeping him shows a bit of loyalty

R. Grant - Should be a good squad player

L.Scullion - Hardman on the pitch and has turned his career around brilliantly

Kabia - Technically one of the best players at Clyde

Ballantyne - Never hides and is always a leader on the park

Allan - I just hope we can secure another deal for him

SELL/DEPART

Parry - Wanted to retire last year

P.Grant - Got a footballing brain but just isn’t physically and technically capable to stay

McCulloch - Managed to be the worst player in one of the worst Clyde teams in history

Lyon - Just don’t think he is good enough for our ambition 

Hynes - Forgot what he looks like

Leitch - If someone wants him we let him go as I don’t think he is that good although wouldn’t release him

Cameron - 💩🗑️

C.Scullion - Can’t get into this years squad

Rennie - Just don’t think his body can win L2

Young - Showed he is not good enough when given chances

McGinn - Good player although if McCall stays he has to go

King - Never thought he was good, to stop trying when we are losing is just embarrassing 

Leslie - Shouldn’t of extended his loan after January 

Kennedy - made me edit the post as saw someone else mentioned his name

Edited by BullyWeeClydeFc

Posted (edited)

Lyon has not been brilliant since January.

He's just not been an absolute fucking bomb scare for 90 mins every Saturday. Yes, he has improved but he's still poor and is way off the standard we need to fulfill any ambition of going up the leagues.

It's mind boggling the shouts to keep him over some of the players people want rid of.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Nice open and honest interview from McCall. I hope the Chairman meets his demands and expectations and keeps him and his backroom staff at the club.

Also, Lee Hamilton made an interesting comment during his interview regarding "the players we will bring in" or words to that effect. Wonder what he knows...

Exciting summer ahead. Haven't been able to say that for a while.

If I was McCall...

KEEP

Kinnear

Hamilton

Howie

Sula

Dunachie

Ray Grant

Liam Scullion

Kabia

Ballantyne

Allan

Rennie.

UNDECIDED

Cuddihy - On his day can be good but very injury prone.

Leitch - seems a bit of a luxury player.

Young - Not had a huge amount of opportunity but I think there could be a good player in there.

RELEASE

Parry - Been done for a while. That game at Stranraer confirmed it.

Peter Grant - Passed it for me at this level.

McCulloch - Not good enough.

Lyon -As above.

Hynes - As above.

Conor Scullion - As above.

Euan Cameron - Genuinely would struggle in amateur leagues.

Obviously, very well done to the players and management getting it over the line. McCall's interview needs to wake people up- the guy is flat out telling you there's things still waaay off what is needed and if i was to guess i think he's been told things and now there's doubts- to lose him over that would be criminal.

"My remit was to beat Clyde", that'll be the lies from Maryhill put to bed.

If the season was over the last 18 games then we would have finished top which includes 4 disasters performances against (Stranraer, Forfar (2) and Elgin) so dont think there is much change needdc to win the league next year. 

Edinburgh City will be coming down and will likely be at the bottom end next year and Stirling Albion may put up a bit of a challenge.

Unlike the last couple of seasons would look to hold onto most of the squad and just add better quality with new additions.

Keep

Kinnear

Lyon

Hamilton

Dunachie

Howie

Sula

Leitch

Cuddihy

L Scullion

R Grant

Ballantyne

Kabia

Rennie

Young

Allan

Return to Parent Club

Leslie

King

McGinn

Release

Parry

P Grant

McCulloch

Cameron (obviously)

Hynes

Cant comment on reserve goalie Kennedy as not seen play.

So probably means space for 7 or 8 new additions.  RB and LB, 2 wingers, 2 forwards, someone creative just off forwards.

As for potential names

Havent a clue about 2 full backs.  But as long as they can stop a cross and deliver a cross will do for me.

Like the winger that plays for East Fife .

For forwards 2 from; Elgins big number 9 that played yesterday has always caused us problems, even though fouls all the time Stenny's no9 Matty Aitken, or perhaps Blair Henderson from Spartans or  Nathan Austin from East Fife.

For the pocket somone like Dylan Easton.  Like Spartans player Rhys Armstrong.

I'm totally on board with McCall staying on. There's not another manager that we could appoint this summer that I think would be better suited to ripping up a squad and there's no doubt that he sets a standard and has an aura that is fully required at our club. That said, he can't simply hold us to ransom. Hopefully things will get confirmed asap. Hopefully we hear from Maitland soon as I feel like we have an opportunity to capitalise on a bit of a positive feeling.

I trust his recruitment and without knowing wages, players availability etc. I'm not going to go through the whole squad . However, here are my thoughts on a few:

Ross Lyon - I've always been his biggest critic and he was absolutely terrible in the first half of the season. That said, I was delighted that he was starting at left-back instead of McGinn yesterday, and he's definitely had some decent performances since the New Year. I think you know what you'll get from him; he knows the position well, he'll work hard and not hide, but he'll struggle against a more physical opponent and be worse than average on the ball. We absolutely need first choice full-backs (don't we always?) but would I be overly bothered if he was kept to be one of 9 subs? Probably not.

Connor Young - It's so frustrating that the same player that can put in displays like his debut against Elgin, and the 3-2 win over Bonnyrigg, can also be worse than a man down against Forfar (as an example). He can strike a ball brilliantly and works his socks off but never seemed to find himself in the position to have a shot at goal. For me he needs to play every week and he won't get that here.

Martin Rennie - Can we get the performance he's put in the past two games over a full season? If so, it's a no brainer, he's used his physique to absolutely bully EF and Elgin. A year and a half of looking barely interested at times is a major red flag for me, but he's also scored goals at a decent rate. For me, he's probably the sort of player that needs to start every week, but I'm not convinced he should be if the summer goes as hoped. Definitely not as a centre forward. 50-50 probably.

Liam Scullion - Keep and give a 2 year contract, with no hesitation. He'll be one of the best players in the division next season.