Clyde Season 23/24

We've actually played pretty well in patches and should have two more goals through Grant and Sula, both after corners. It's definitely not been Duffyball, we've built up play well with Scullion and Cuddihy.

The defending has been awful though for the goals, and Cove have been more clinical than Hamilton. As with Saturday the difference in class between their best players and our worst is massive.

The first goal has to be dealt with by McCulloch, Sula or Leighfield, I wouldn't blame one more than the others, someone just needs to clear everything out. The second is just a floated ball over a defence which was sat deep, which shouldn't happen, hard to see who is at fault from my angle, maybe Grant or Craig. The third is losing out at the first and second ball from a free kick.

Decent first twenty in the second half, got into a lot of dangerous areas.

McCulloch makes me pine for Lyon. Silly shirt pull for the penalty that was missed.

Subs completely killed us, we have been all over the place with a back three and Forbes centrally.

Cuddihy MotM.

6 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Will Sewell's who just aren't capable of making the step up.

Sewell was a reasonable League 2 player. He scored 6 goals in a cumulative 13 and a half games (total minutes). Given many of them were relatively late sub appearances, that's very respectable. I think he just preferred being first name on the team sheet and banging in 40 odd goals a year which is more than fair enough.

Bad points;

No team should lose goals like the first three tonight. The first is nobody taking command and Grant should have put the ball out the park for in the lead up to the second. Overall, defensively too fragile. The habit of folding and conceding quick goals seems to have carried over. 

Rennie doing Rennie things. Won little then should have scored if he'd taken a gamble on a cross. 

Good points;

Attacking set pieces seem to actually carry a threat. Forbes nearly scored directly and Sula and Grant should have scored. Liam Scullion was very good, especially thinking about where he was last year. He seemed by far the most vocal on the pitch in terms of leading. Conor offers some forward thinking and drive and, whilst not thinking there's a world beater, in think there's something to work with.

The second half was pretty decent. Cove were getting pretty frustrated with Clyde's pressing and were starting to argue with each other. Cove's 4th was a cracking goal and the killed it but the second had m half had been a contest (although that happens with a team is 3-1 and comfortable)

Mulvanny getting a goal can't be bad news. 

I get the doom and gloom generally but Clyde aren't going to play sides as good as Accies or Cove in the league. They're obviously a lot better. 

It isn't exactly a great side but there's something resembling a team and I'm not completely pessimistic overall, but the unescapable fact is there's still a vulnerability. Looking forward to seeing the shape of things v Brechin to start to gauge a bit better.