Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Care to elaborate? 

Doubt he can name them all 😂

Rumours have been few and far between so far, in terms of actual player names. Sounds like the club have closed ranks a bit, tightened up on any leaks etc. Thus less ITK posts on here. Silence in here's doesn't mean the club aren't trying their best to recruit. Less rumours and leaks is a good thing IMO, as it means the club are going about their business of trying to sign players without potential targets becoming public knowledge, which could derail a signing. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

35 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Our subs bench the day has the look of last season ,next week would be a big problem unless we strengthen ,

According to Rhys in the Dundee preview,  there is no under 18s this year, we will be entering the Reserve League instead which is a massive difference.. and hopes the young laddies can progress on a much more competitive environment...  Anybody got anymore info on this..

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

According to Rhys in the Dundee preview,  there is no under 18s this year, we will be entering the Reserve League instead which is a massive difference.. and hopes the young laddies can progress on a much more competitive environment...  Anybody got anymore info on this..

There’s also a under 17s tesm this year aswell

Great achievement getting through to the last 16 of the cup! 

One week until the league kicks off and we currently have McGill, Frizzel and Todorov out injured. 

I’m expecting at east 1x striker, 1x physical midfielder and 2x defenders by this time next week otherwise it may be a rough couple of games to start off the season

If McCabe has some signing targets and we’re close to getting them then NOW is the time to make the move.  Absolutely thrilled with us qualifying but other than the potential money boost it will give us, I really couldn’t care about the cup.  We’ve busted balls to get to this level and we need to consolidate our position in the Championship.  Don’t want the feel good factor to go with Dunfermline giving us a doing on flag day.  Don’t want to rush in to unnecessary signings but if we can get 2/3 players we actually want then we need to do business this week. And I’d be gutted if McInroy went to Thistle.   Nightmare scenario 

Great start to the season, 4 wins out of 4 and into the next round of the cup.

£55k for getting through to the next round, to put that into context, our prize money last season was only £143k which means we'll have earned more than a third of our prize money for the entirety of last season already.

Hopefully with the league cup groups out of the way the management team can focus on getting one or two new faces in for the Dunfermline game.

Todorov pulled up with a groin strain hoping it's nothing serious.

The money from the League Cup might just allow us to get in a bit better quality that we might've not been able to afford to get in.

Wasn't able to make the game today but the stream from Bonnyrigg was very good today, especially with it only being £10.

500 Airdrie fans at the game looked a decent support.

Nice wee birthday present today too that win, onwards and upwards!! ♦️ 

Edited by David Fernández

Another win and Airdrie never really looked like having to step up their performance. Was glad O’Connor got to hit the penalty he will frustrate at times but the boy is a trier and for a loanee he still gives it everything I can’t fault that. 

Hopefully Todorov is ok can’t go back to relying just on Gallagher. 

That was like a proper junior ground that park is a disgrace not a flat bit on it. 

Really pleased with the results my only worry/issue is the draw for the next round looks so unappealing from an Airdrie perspective. Hopefully a chance to progress further but there isn’t a single team in the non seeded end of the draw that excites. Stirling hopefully for me. 

38 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

If McCabe has some signing targets and we’re close to getting them then NOW is the time to make the move.  Absolutely thrilled with us qualifying but other than the potential money boost it will give us, I really couldn’t care about the cup.  We’ve busted balls to get to this level and we need to consolidate our position in the Championship.  Don’t want the feel good factor to go with Dunfermline giving us a doing on flag day.  Don’t want to rush in to unnecessary signings but if we can get 2/3 players we actually want then we need to do business this week. And I’d be gutted if McInroy went to Thistle.   Nightmare scenario 

First of all , well done to the players on getting 4 wins on the spin and topping the group,  all games were tight and could have went either way,   What I am surprised with is the team Rhys played today,  this was a classic game for giving Fellows a run at left back giving ATS a rest who has been great, but we all know he cannot last the season without a couple of spells out,  same with Dunlop see what the lad has got and not forgetting Hutts should have played in goal with Rae's suspension next week..   even with those changes we should have got a result... We have a few injuries just now don't think anything particularly long term, but 2 or 3 games out is a lot when you don't have adequate tried and tested replacements,   The league is the priority where every point must be fought for..

Massive week ahead for the club..

WHen is the draw for the next round, agree there isn't much to excite so hopefully a draw that we can get to the next round. Really need some signings this week and also hope none of the injuries are long term. Good win today bu surprised Hutton didnt get a game if he is paying on Saturday.

Just noticed we were the only team to win all four games across all the groups. It’s early days and these games don’t count for much in terms of being prepared for the league but it’s great to see us off to a solid start. 

I mostly agree with @Passionate about today’s team. I don’t think the back three worked particularly well but even so, I’d have given Fellows some minutes today to see what he’s like. Important to play a strong team as it was always going to be a stuffy game but we can’t rely on the current back four/five all season. 

As others have said, all about signings and preparing for the league now. We definitely need a centre back and a full back, whether that’s a natural left sided one or competition for Watson with Ballantyne staying on the left. These games have convinced me that we definitely need another forward too. It was great to see O’Connor get his first goal and while you can’t fault his attitude, he still has a lot to learn and I’m not sure he’s ready to start every week in the Championship just yet. Injuries to McGill and Todorov, something that could easily happen throughout the season, plus Gallagher being taken off meant we finished today’s game with O’Connor and McGregor up front, which won’t cut it in the league unfortunately. We’re in a decent position to build from though and everyone who has played in these cup games has done well at some point.

Stirling, Partick,  Livingston, Ross county, morton, killie, st mirren. Then Dundee or raith depends on tomorrows results.

Stirling would be the ideal draw and 55k for winning the group is huge for us. Hopefully we can add a few bodies. 

Our current squad - 
Gal, Tod (injured), Gabby (injured), Mcgregor, O’Connor. 

Frizz(injured), Devenny(sold), McMaster, Telfer (carrying a knock) McCabe (carrying a knock), Aitken, Dunlop(child who’s no played), 

Watson, ATS, Fordyce, Ballantyne (all 4 played 4/4)

Rae,(suspended 1st game), Hutton(37/38 years old. 

The rest of the squad is children who I don’t expect to start in the Championship. 

Edited by AirdrieDaft77

Going to sound negative here but I’d almost rather have got through as one of the unseeded teams. Possibly rather have got one of the old firm in the next round and got beat out and collected the pay cheque rather than the possibility of drawing killie away and getting beat and getting f**k all. 

Posting before catching up. Clearly a very good start to the season in four wins from what was seen as a tough group to be in. Fairly good use of the squad and we can convert penalties. Excellent first half in Inverness and resilient against Dundee while staying in games if not yet in  a winning position. 

First time getting out of a league cup group for ages.

Some really good passing play in general.

So well done lads.

On today's game that poor pitch and windy conditions made it difficult to break down a stuffy Bonnyrigg and many of our close passing went astray. The injury to Todororov meant we never really saw how that formation could work. Seemed strange player positions at times and I found it a hard watch.

Best player was Telfer whilst there were no stars the squad did it's job.

As far as next week goes in the league we need Friz and Gabby back, and in the short to longer term, we still need some beefing up. 

As to next cup game I'll take any home tie and please don't send us to the far north!