Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

This thread is turning into a bin fire this week,   after arguably our biggest win in seasons in our return to the championship,  Remember League 1 forum for the League 1 pish.

Any further update on Devenney, is McCabes injury a season ender and do we plan to increase the squad before the window slams shut..

A Facebook rumour of a signing on Monday, surprisingly came to nothing,,

Someone must be ITK...

And not to forget a massive League Cup tie against Premier opposition coming up on Saturday..

12 minutes ago, Passionate said:

This thread is turning into a bin fire this week,   after arguably our biggest win in seasons in our return to the championship,  Remember League 1 forum for the League 1 pish.

Any further update on Devenney, is McCabes injury a season ender and do we plan to increase the squad before the window slams shut..

Someone must be ITK...

And not to forget a massive League Cup tie against Premier opposition coming up on Saturday..

Exactly the reason why I dont post half the stuff I hear, always turns out to be a half truth.  I'd heard the Justin deal was done and was being confirmed this week, its now Thursday and nothing, although I was talking to someone completely different on Tuesday night (a player btw) who told me more or less the same thing about Justin, obviously cagey to give anything too much away but described it as "the worst kept secret".  

Agree about the bin fire though.

1 minute ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Exactly the reason why I dont post half the stuff I hear, always turns out to be a half truth.  I'd heard the Justin deal was done and was being confirmed this week, its now Thursday and nothing, although I was talking to someone completely different on Tuesday night (a player btw) who told me more or less the same thing about Justin, obviously cagey to give anything too much away but described it as "the worst kept secret".  

Agree about the bin fire though.

Yeah i'm really not sure what the hold up is heard a couple of weeks ago it was just about done but he was still in training with us at the start of the week.

Must be waiting on him leaving before any further incomings i.e hopefully Connor Smith.

53 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Someone must be ITK...

IMG_9875.thumb.jpeg.0aab8521a84488c291d7089d8f5f21a4.jpegFrom what McCabe is saying sounds like it could be a number of weeks. 

No idea what that hold up is with Justin. My guess is they are trying to get a replacement in for him before letting him go. And from my knowledge Connor Smith to accies is a done deal. Also Weatherspoon to Dunfermline is apparently a done deal as well. So no idea who we will get. 

28 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Just got a feeling it will be Stanway on a permanent deal..

that will really get the juices flowing eh! 😑

On the plus side, I look forward to the twitter fan boys/dans photoshopping stanways head onto messi with quotes like "welcome back my king" and "The goat"

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++

50 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

On the plus side, I look forward to the twitter fan boys/dans photoshopping stanways head onto messi with quotes like "welcome back my king" and "The goat"

Haud me back, a happy bench warmer just what we need,   

Don't want to be over critical but do you think we are in for any of players mentioned and have we a working recruitment policy....   Doubtful is my answer to both....

Just now, Passionate said:

Haud me back, a happy bench warmer just what we need,   

Don't want to be over critical but do you think we are in for any of players mentioned and have we a working recruitment policy....   Doubtful is my answer to both....

I've always tried to keep "watching Airdrie on a Saturday" and "looking too much into club business" separate.  Like you, I dont want to be too critical, purely because many decades of shite have engrained the opinion "it could always be worse" but then I think "well why can't it be better" so I just try and let it happen, because regardless of what I think, it will happen anyway (if that makes sense)!  We probably don't know half of the players we've made offers to, or contacted which is fair enough, but my own thoughts are McCabe takes far too much pride in his job and wants to make too much of a success of being a manager to have neglected the recruitment part of the job, and as others have said, Money talks.

Either way, we need a SQUAD and not just a competitive starting 11.  We'll find out in the coming weeks if there are no reinforcements how unforgiving this league can be.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Just got a feeling it will be Stanway on a permanent deal..

Ben Stanway would be a really good signing. It’s a bit strange that he’s been dropped to the Partick bench considering he had such a good pre season and he was up for getting Patrick’s POTM. I would 100% take him back but for how much £ and I doubt partick would let him go to us.

I’m sure when we actually had Stanway on loan he was still training with Partick. 

7 minutes ago, AirdrieDaft77 said:

Ben Stanway would be a really good signing. It’s a bit strange that he’s been dropped to the Partick bench considering he had such a good pre season and he was up for getting Patrick’s POTM. I would 100% take him back but for how much £ and I doubt partick would let him go to us.

I’m sure when we actually had Stanway on loan he was still training with Partick. 

The good thing is we just beat and outplayed one of the fancied teams,as someone else pointed out we need a couple of starting player now not usual bench warming teens,

I'd rather Stanway than not bring anyone in, think the frustration with recruitment is parlty due to the fact that this is exactly what happened last season. Albeit last season turned out a success it could have gone differently and lack of squad depth would have been a big part of that. As @Passionatesays above, this is an unforgiving leage and we are still 2-3 players short.

12 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

IMG_2106.jpeg

That article is a great laugh. 

“Strain didn't miss Smith's agent either, as he said the club was being 'disrespected' due to their third-tier status.

He said: "I think there is a bit of disrespect from certain agents towards our club, a bit of snobbery, the fact we are League One.

When you look at the squad we've built this season, there are Premiership-class players throughout it.

Dylan Tait came from the Premiership, Euan Henderson and Jackson Longridge came from the Premiership, Kevin O'Hara and Kyle MacDonald can play in the Premiership.“

If you didn’t want to be “disrespected” for being in League One then maybe you shouldn’t have been rubbish all of last season? Also, Kyle MacDonald in the Premiership :lol: 

3 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Good news, clearly wants a championship club! Just shows that the transfers scotland twitter page is a lot of nonsense claiming the deal was done last week of 2.

Whilst Accies look to have a decent squad this season and could easily win the league but would that help him get a new contract at Hearts? Even if he ripped it up there would still be doubters that "its only the 3rd level" of Scottish football and I wouldn't be surprised if Hearts played at a part in suggesting he played at a higher level.

Just now, Kenny_m said:

Whilst Accies look to have a decent squad this season and could easily win the league but would that help him get a new contract at Hearts? Even if he ripped it up there would still be doubters that "its only the 3rd level" of Scottish football and I wouldn't be surprised if Hearts played at a part in suggesting he played at a higher level.

Yeah 100% doesn't make sense for him to sign a new deal after doing well in the championship to then be loaned out to a lower level the year after.

Would be a great signing for us, would have him in front of O'Connor and Mcgregor on the wing.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Prefer that to the endless depression on here 

18 minutes ago, Mr November said:

That article is a great laugh. 

“Strain didn't miss Smith's agent either, as he said the club was being 'disrespected' due to their third-tier status.

He said: "I think there is a bit of disrespect from certain agents towards our club, a bit of snobbery, the fact we are League One.

When you look at the squad we've built this season, there are Premiership-class players throughout it.

Dylan Tait came from the Premiership, Euan Henderson and Jackson Longridge came from the Premiership, Kevin O'Hara and Kyle MacDonald can play in the Premiership.

If you didn’t want to be “disrespected” for being in League One then maybe you shouldn’t have been rubbish all of last season? Also, Kyle MacDonald in the Premiership :lol: 

Awkward Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek