Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

42 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Only player not to have a poppy on his strip wonder if there’s a reason behind it 

IMG_6859.jpeg

Just as people have a choice to wear one they also have a choice not to wear one which is important to remember! Although, glad to see that it just fell off

Since the game on Saturday, I just keep thinking how much better shape we'd be in had we have kept Smith and possibly to a lesser extent Easton. Todorov should have burst the net with his chance in the first half that rattled the crossbar, and Gallagher could've had the winner at the death from Telfer's freekick, meanwhile Smith takes two touches and scores. 

That said after the weekend I'm feeling a lot better about things. I think McMaster has to start every/most games as he brings so much to our midfield. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Does anyone know why the massive "fan/B" commemorative banner behind the Craigneuk Avenue goal has been removed? It appeared for a couple of home games early/mid last month but has  disappeared. Was it voluntarily removed or did the club ask for it to be taken down?

Shame, as it was very impressive. 

The flag was removed  as its not in its final place, witch will be in the home stand 

Edited by airdrieJ77

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The Arbroath game on Saturday is so important that I wouldn't be playing anyone who is likely to be playing on Saturday. We maybe don't have the squad for that without playing reserves but I'd be playing as few as possible.

Ever since they messed the tournament up with B sides etc I've had no interest in it, and if you look at recent seasons it's often teams who have poor league seasons that do quite well in it. Accies won it last year and got relegated, Raith lost in the final and finished 7th in the league. The year before Raith won it but their league form from Christmas onwards was the worst in the league. Queens lost in the final and got relegated. Going back pre-covid Dumbarton are another one who reached a final and got relegated. Even the last time we won it we got relegated, and losing finalists Ross County finished 8th.

Accies got relegated by 3 points last season, and Queens by 2 points (from 9th) the year before. I'd say it's pretty likely that having those extra 5 games and the distraction of a cup final cost them their league place. Accies lost 7-0 to Dundee 6 days after their win last season which is no coincidence.

Hopefully we'll be not be that close to the bottom anyway but it's hard to say at the moment and given that injuries are piling up and we don't have the biggest squad I don't think it's worth the investment. Staying up is all I'm interested in, the Scottish Cup is worth the investment because of the potential financial rewards that come with it, this is just a distraction in my opinion. If we can go far by playing a reserve side then great, although given the reserve results that's unlikely.

I’d tend to agree, as much as I’d love to win the cup, or at least beat Rangers B if nothing else. But it’s not worth the risk of any further injuries and ultimately dropping points in a competitive league. We’ve played a lot of football in the last couple of weeks so I don’t think I’d be playing anyone who’s not 100% fit or who’s played the bulk of those games. Probably wouldn’t mind McCabe playing, as he hasn’t played as much football as everyone else and increasing his match sharpness would probably be a good thing. He’d also be good to have on the park if it is a predominantly young side we play. That being said, I’d be happy for him to give himself a rest too. Defence will be interesting as Fordyce, Hancock and ATS are potentially all carrying injuries or knocks and I don’t think I’d risk any of them for this game. Which doesn’t leave a lot for McCabe to play with in terms of selection or resting players. Wouldn’t be bothered if he just played Cassidy and the rest of the reserve back 4 though I suppose he could also slot himself in there. 

Something like - 

Hutton 
Cassidy + 3 Rugrats
Dunlop/McStravick  McCabe Spalding
O’Connor McGill Dunlop/McGregor 

would suffice for me. 

7 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Since the game on Saturday, I just keep thinking how much better shape we'd be in had we have kept Smith and possibly to a lesser extent Easton. Todorov should have burst the net with his chance in the first half that rattled the crossbar, and Gallagher could've had the winner at the death from Telfer's freekick, meanwhile Smith takes two touches and scores. 

That said after the weekend I'm feeling a lot better about things. I think McMaster has to start every/most games as he brings so much to our midfield. 

Agreed although for me I think it was more the previous few games which have highlighted how much we miss Smith. His ability to carry the ball forward from one end of the pitch to the other alone would have seen us create far more chances v Ayr, Queen’s Park and Inverness than we ultimately did. Don’t have anyone in the team who can do that anywhere near as well as he does. 

The draw has been pish for the challenge cup with a trip to Morton again facing the winners. I completely get the hatred of the b teams I don’t like their involvement either but I will be going tonight and it’s still a cup I very much want us to progress in despite it not being a priority for many.

Sadly for Airdrie cup competitions and finals will not be a familiar experience for many and I will always advocate trying to win any “competitive” competition we are in. Having been born in the late 80s I was too young to appreciate the Scottish Cup runs and our brief spell in Europe so since then I’ve had to make do with this cup and 1 league win. 

I get making changes and it’s been a rough few games but I want to see us competitive tonight. 

43 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

The draw has been pish for the challenge cup with a trip to Morton again facing the winners. I completely get the hatred of the b teams I don’t like their involvement either but I will be going tonight and it’s still a cup I very much want us to progress in despite it not being a priority for many.

Sadly for Airdrie cup competitions and finals will not be a familiar experience for many and I will always advocate trying to win any “competitive” competition we are in. Having been born in the late 80s I was too young to appreciate the Scottish Cup runs and our brief spell in Europe so since then I’ve had to make do with this cup and 1 league win. 

I get making changes and it’s been a rough few games but I want to see us competitive tonight. 

Interestingly we are in the cowshed,   for this game, I don't expect any pie stall or running water that would be too much at Cappielow..   have we ever been in the cowshed before going back to the 80s and I cannot remember it..

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Interestingly we are in the cowshed,   for this game, I don't expect any pie stall or running water that would be too much at Cappielow..   have we ever been in the cowshed before going back to the 80s and I cannot remember it..

Certainly the first time I will have been in that part of the ground. I thought we would all have been housed in the main stand cant see this game having much of an attendance