Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

36 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

image.png.6ea36feb8f8c7978e6aa7de57d7be048.png

Yip, looks like a back 4 but Gabby missing completely.

Pretty tight park, probably doesn't suit the 5,  park looks decent though,   Behind enemy lines today in the coo shed,,  my knees are bad enough without enduring 90 mins in that stand,  about 175 Airdrie in the stand just now, 

A competitive game for the challenge cup and don't think any team can have any complaints about the result. 

One very noticeable point today was Josh O'Connor's performance and whilst I'm are he hasn't played much recently but simply doesn't look good enough. Magic done more in 10 seconds after he replacing him, best if went back to Hibs as he won't feature much for the rest of the season unless injuries dictate. 

34 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

A competitive game for the challenge cup and don't think any team can have any complaints about the result. 

One very noticeable point today was Josh O'Connor's performance and whilst I'm are he hasn't played much recently but simply doesn't look good enough. Magic done more in 10 seconds after he replacing him, best if went back to Hibs as he won't feature much for the rest of the season unless injuries dictate. 

Brilliant to get through to the semis, rode our luck a bit start of the second half. Agree with O’connor absolutely miles off this level right now, would send him back and try find a replacement in January, clearly had been signed thinking we’d be in league 1 this season and not championship.

Ballantyne back on the right as wing back was another level above, back to his best. Maybe we should be looking for a left wing back of the same calibre  in the January window. I always thought Frizz might give the team a better balance playing at wingback and I also think McGregor is better defensively than he is with his final ball and finishing. Telfer has really taken to McCabe's style of play and is the one joining things together going forward with deft little passes and he keeps the ball moving forward where Frizz seems to be more inclined to turn back the way recently. The team deserves the credit for digging in while Morton were on top and it was good to come away from a match like that with the victory.

16 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Ballantyne back on the right as wing back was another level above, back to his best. Maybe we should be looking for a left wing back of the same calibre  in the January window. I always thought Frizz might give the team a better balance playing at wingback and I also think McGregor is better defensively than he is with his final ball and finishing. Telfer has really taken to McCabe's style of play and is the one joining things together going forward with deft little passes and he keeps the ball moving forward where Frizz seems to be more inclined to turn back the way recently. The team deserves the credit for digging in while Morton were on top and it was good to come away from a match like that with the victory.

Good teams find away to win ,

Posted briefly elsewhere but the others are spot on about O'Connor at this level. 

Charlie Telfer was excellent throughout but Dean looked a bit off it today after early booking and we could have lost heavily in second half but for Morton's feeble attempts and some great saves by Josh . He must have spent less time outside the box today than in so many other games this season.

Gal was also not quite there although I remain unconvinced by Todororov.

We did seem to change from 3-5-2 in the first half to a 4-3-3 and it opened up the game to Morton.

The foul on McGregor was shocking and a well deserved red card but I felt the Ref might have let it run on to a penalty pull on Todororov ( highlights maybe). 

I enjoyed it even in the stand watching through a running stream from the ramshackle guttering. 

It might be good atmosphere in a dry day but the wee Dublin entrance is so dilapidated and the fording of the giant puddle at the end was a sight to behold 

On to another shot at Mr Murray!♦️

As I posted earlier was behind enemy lines in the cow shed watching the game with the local natives,    First Half Airdrie in spells were very good although Morton did seem to surrender the midfield , not our fault and our one touch passing and movement was top drawer,  one criticism was we don't create enough from good positions..   Second Half Morton played 20 yards further forward from the off and went on the front foot , playing in between our lines,   stopping crosses is always.an issue with airdrie and today we.struggled as that was there biggest weapon with the 2 burly Morton strikers head and shoulders above McCabe and Fordyce we rode our luck as every team does and we were dangerous on the counter although O connor at times looked dangerous in space with his pace, but the rest of his game needs major work,  watching him he seems to not want to do the hard yards, until he does the basics well he will struggle....

Good game today,  Cappielow has really not changed much over the years since I was first there in the 80s,  it is probably the closest park you will get to old Broomfield that is left in the game these days....    

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Cappielow has really not changed much over the years since I was first there in the 80s,  it is probably the closest park you will get to old Broomfield that is left in the game these days....    

I dunno, I thought Cappielow was a terrible stadium when I went there at first in the late 80s/early 90s and there's not much to change that view in the intervening years. Always hated the half arsedness of it's design in comparison to beautiful symmetrical stadiums like Broomfield.

11 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I dunno, I thought Cappielow was a terrible stadium when I went there at first in the late 80s/early 90s and there's not much to change that view in the intervening years. Always hated the half arsedness of it's design in comparison to beautiful symmetrical stadiums like Broomfield.

Broomfield was something else,would bet some players would not be looking forward to running back in after a defeat 🤣🤣

Great to get into a semi final with a limited squad. 

Missing McGill, Aiken, ATS, Megwa and Hancock has left us struggling in numbers but it’s working out so far. 

I hate to say it but I don’t think Frizzel is half the player he was in the 2021/2022 season. His running seems laboured and he’s not as direct as he once was. If we had Aiken fit I’d be playing him in front of Frizz at the moment 

Thought we were the better team in the first-half and don’t think anyone could have complained had we went into half-time in front. We toiled in the second-half though. Definitely have Josh Rae to thank for getting us through. Some outstanding saves throughout the game that kept us in it and of course the final penalty (double) save once again. He gets a bit of stick but yesterday showed his worth and what a difference he makes to the team. Ballantyne and Telfer were our two best outfield players and McStravick made a difference in the short time he was on the park. Don’t think we really got going in the second-half until he was brought on. But he had them on the back-foot whenever he had the ball and our best bouts of pressure came from him. 

Fun to win another shootout after our penalty woes before the play-offs and nice to be in a cup semi-final. 

13 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

15 hours ago, Passionate said:

Good game today,  Cappielow has really not changed much over the years since I was first there in the 80s,  it is probably the closest park you will get to old Broomfield that is left in the game these days....    

I like Cappielow although I’m not a huge fan of the main stand and the support structures that obscure your view. Football grounds should be unique and have an identity, atmosphere and history about them and I think Cappielow is and has that. A roof on the Wee Dublin End and a proper pie hut and I wouldn’t have any complaints about it. How was the game to watch from the cowshed @Passionate? Always liked the look of it in there. 

51 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I like Cappielow although I’m not a huge fan of the main stand and the support structures that obscure your view. Football grounds should be unique and have an identity, atmosphere and history about them and I think Cappielow is and has that. A roof on the Wee Dublin End and a proper pie hut and I wouldn’t have any complaints about it. How was the game to watch from the cowshed @Passionate? Always liked the look of it in there. 

Yeah I think that's it. If the weather is decent I enjoy going there and sitting behind the goals. But if it's like yesterday you either end up getting soaked in the WDE or get put into the corner of the Main Stand which is by far the worst place to watch a game in the league.

Would almost always pick an older ground to visit like Somerset or Cappielow over a ground like ours or Broadwood, but being stuck in that end of the Main Stand is probably the exception.

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Having suffered in the main stand previously it really is a struggle for anybody over 5 8 ,  legroom is non existent, so cowshed for me,  Good view, good atmosphere and from that viewpoint I get the slight similarities to Old Broomie,   decent enough day out,  looking at what Morton have, how did we end up where we did in League 1 for so long,  only the second time I have been behind enemy lines the other at Dumbarton on the COVID season when away supporters weren't allowed..

20 hours ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Telfer has really taken to McCabe's style of play and is the one joining things together going forward with deft little passes and he keeps the ball moving forward where Frizz seems to be more inclined to turn back the way recently.

Amazing how things change, with Aiken out and McMaster struggling he's just about 1st pick in the central midfield area. I don't think even Falkirk fans doubted his ability but his work rate is tremendous this season.