Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Playing to the strengths and weaknesses in the team in the second half of the season:

Rae

Ballantyne       Watson      McCabe     Fordyce     Hancock

Telfer              Aitken            Frizz

Gal                McGill (McStravick)

With Ballantyne and Hancock creating mayhem down the wings bouncing the ball off Telfer and Frizz and Gal tapping them in with McGill in about them is what I would like to see. Also gives cover in behind Hancock when other teams start to target that weakness.

That gives us cover on the bench if required with players who can come on and do a job. Todorov, McMaster, GavGal, McStravick and ATS. 

I'd still play Gal because the ball just sticks to him and I felt Todarov's touch against Partick was pretty poor and he was just getting in the way. The highlights show a couple of good moves breaking down with his lack of control. If we could only find a way for Gal and Todarov to get the best out of each other.

Megwa is a loss defensively and maybe he would have slid in and stopped Partick scoring but Watson has scored and provided it on a plate for Todorov's goal in the last two games from fullback. I can't even think of an assist from Megwa (please correct me if I am wrong).

On 19/12/2023 at 15:06, David Fernández said:

If we are going down the 'Consilium Route' of signing players then Chris Donnell would be a shout.

He's a 19 year old midfielder and from watching a few videos of him playing for Fulham U21 he looks a lot more physical than a lot of our current midfielders we have. From the highlights video I can see a lot of similarities to Justin Devenny.

Downside he is Australian so let's just hope he's no Frankie Lagana or a Big Byrd 2.0.

Anyone want tonight's lottery numbers?😂

Think it was @David Fernández who pulled his name from the Consillium sweepstake previously. 

Fills a positional gap we needed to fill and if, as McCabe says, he can play in a few positions that could be particularly useful with our run of games coming up. A bit of height won’t go amiss either. 

Airdrie for All-In 2025 @cb_diamond

Just now, AJ77 said:

Good to get another signing in, you’ll never guess who is agent is tho.

We should have new! Anyway, despite that he looks an interesting signing and adds a bit of height as well. 

20 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It is a loan but a tall attacking player could be a good addition. Looks like the kind of young player Rhys values. Let's wait and see. 

Rhys certainly seems to get the best out of the younger players, ,

Sounds like Donnell is a good all-rounder. Has a bit of size, can get around the pitch and his passing and goal stats are decent, with the big caveat that that’s all at youth level. Hopefully he can make a difference in the final third whether from midfield or upfront. 

50 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Sounds like Donnell is a good all-rounder. Has a bit of size, can get around the pitch and his passing and goal stats are decent, with the big caveat that that’s all at youth level. Hopefully he can make a difference in the final third whether from midfield or upfront. 

The RSM stats guy has been great this season. Doing excellent work if you post here fella!

Another plus from the match preview is that  Cammy Ballantyne is back taking part in training. Next reserve match is 13th February so hopefully he can feature in that and be back in the first team squad for our next League game v Ayr on the 17th.

6 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Another plus from the match preview is that  Cammy Ballantyne is back taking part in training. Next reserve match is 13th February so hopefully he can feature in that and be back in the first team squad for our next League game v Ayr on the 17th.

Even better, Cammy on the bench tonight.