Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

21 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I thought the surface at Firhill looked pretty good especially at this stage of the season and the piss poor weather we've had over the past couple of months. I'm also fairly certain I was watching the players warm up pre match and half time with the sprinklers on.  Pitch definitely watered both before match & half Time

Watched the highlights back this morning and can only hope the loud mouth behind me who was giving the linesman pelters at the 1st goal and for about 10 minutes after, noticed that the goalscorer started his run from his own half. Looked offside at the time if you were following the ball not the man but hindsight is a wonderful thing as was the run (for them) both Dycey & McCabe were arguing offside. Exposed our slowness to react at the back we need Cammy back for that killer tackle.

We've looked shaky at the back with the back 4 after our better performances with a 3/5. Megwa and Hancock at least yesterday were still trying to get down the wings but we were completely lacking cover for them when they did go forward. Ideally have Ballantyne back for play offs even if it means managing his minutes in the last 2 matches. Would right off last two & get/keep as many key players fit as per the Edinburgh City game last season.

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

And so it begins with the 1st departure rumour that is Josh Rae to Dundee United. Could see that one although his current injury may affect the situation.

Be a great move for him, not sure if he's ready for Premier league football just yet, don't think another year in the championship with us (presuming we don't go up) would hurt. 

Would make sense as well pretty sure the keeper they have just now is loan from down south so must be unlikely they can get him back for next season. Feel like a lot of lower end premier league clubs could be looking at our younger guys for next season i.e Megwa, Rae, Hancock, Mcstravick etc

7 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Be a great move for him, not sure if he's ready for Premier league football just yet, don't think another year in the championship with us (presuming we don't go up) would hurt. 

Would make sense as well pretty sure the keeper they have just now is loan from down south so must be unlikely they can get him back for next season. Feel like a lot of lower end premier league clubs could be looking at our younger guys for next season i.e Megwa, Rae, Hancock, Mcstravick etc

It's all if's and but's at the moment regarding contracts although Megwa still has another year at Hibs to go and it would be a major coup if we retained him. (perhaps another year loan paying his full Hibs wage)

Rhys has already said the club plan 6 months ahead so there will be deals already done both in and out but not yet announced as is pretty normal and you could tell the club weren't happy with Arbroath for leaking. Even our contracted players are not guaranteed to be here next year as they wouldn't cost a fortune if someone really wanted them.

50 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

It's all if's and but's at the moment regarding contracts although Megwa still has another year at Hibs to go and it would be a major coup if we retained him. (perhaps another year loan paying his full Hibs wage)

Rhys has already said the club plan 6 months ahead so there will be deals already done both in and out but not yet announced as is pretty normal and you could tell the club weren't happy with Arbroath for leaking. Even our contracted players are not guaranteed to be here next year as they wouldn't cost a fortune if someone really wanted them.

Yeah if you seen Rhys speaking to the record about Gal last week he said himself we like to keep things in house so i'm pretty confident there's a good few guys signed up for next season.

Ah, the match preview for tomorrow night mentions that both the manager and Murray Aiken are hopeful of seeing some game-time prior to the play offs. This would be a boost but probably unfair to expect too much from Murray. 

Play-off dates confirmed, nothing unexpected

CINCH PREMIERSHIP PLAY-OFFS

Tuesday May 7
cinch Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg
4th in Championship v 3rd in Championship
Live on BBC Scotland, kick-off 7.45pm

Friday May 10
cinch Premiership play-off quarter-final, 2nd leg
3rd in Championship v 4th in Championship

Tuesday May 14
cinch Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg
3rd or 4th in Championship v 2nd in Championship

Friday May 17
cinch Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg
2nd in Championship v 3rd or 4th in Championship

Thursday May 23
cinch Premiership play-off final, 1st leg
2nd or 3rd or 4th in Championship v 11th in Premiership
Live on Sky Sports, kick-off 8.00pm

Sunday May 26
cinch Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg
11th in Premiership v 2nd or 3rd or 4th in Championship
Live on Sky Sports, kick-off TBC

A shame there’s no Saturday afternoon games but I was expecting that to be the case. Winning at Firhill and Kirkcaldy on a Friday night and Dingwall on a bank holiday Sunday will be fun regardless. 

2 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

No sour grapes from me but no Airdrie players nominated in the PFA Championship list, it comprises Dundee Utd, Raith and Partick players.

The four top scorers I think, and as it's players who nominate they see the value of strikers. That's a pity on the often more talented providers and defenders. 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Any other Airdrie players that might go or are part time? 

Or is it now just a fully full time thing Gallagher is coming to us? 

I’m not expecting many players to be released in the summer to be honest. I think Gallagher is currently the only part-time player, others like Watson have been part-time previously but I think they all moved onto full-time contracts at some point. It seems like a natural end point for everyone really, no point training in the evenings for one player if he’s not starting and best for Gallagher to move on and not be the only player in a different routine. 

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Any other Airdrie players that might go or are part time? 

Or is it now just a fully full time thing Gallagher is coming to us? 

Gal was our only part time player basically kept the hybrid system in place to accommodate him, would imagine we'll go completely full time now, not sure if anyone else in our current squad would drop to part time unless released. 

Liked Tony Watt, when he played for us, but why the f@ck was he not booked tonight?

Outplayed them tonight, but lacked the killer touch.

Odds stacked against us in the playoffs and heavily in favor of the premier club 

Enjoyed that performance. Thought we started well and grew into the game after the first 10 minutes and other than a couple of short spells in the second half we controlled the majority of it. There’s still that issue of not being clinical enough when we’re on top but Walton made some good saves and it’s hard to be too critical after that. 

The usual suspects of Megwa, Hancock, Telfer etc all played really well and I thought Lyall had a great game too. There’s a lot to like about Lyall, he’s got a bit of dig about him and he’s very brave at taking the ball in tight areas. His decision making is really lacking and you can tell he’s not played a lot of first team football but I suppose that’s why he’s here. 

I’d play a full reserve team next week, not arsed about the result if it means we can rest the usual starting 11 for the play-offs. Given it’s a game against Queen’s Park there’s every chance it just ends up 1-1 anyway.

Thought Airdrie were excellent tonight, completely dominated for around 70 minutes of the game. I felt our subs weakened us but can't really fault anyone tonight. 

I really like the look of Arron Lyall, has the potential of turning into a really good player and I'm hoping he's one that we are considering offering a contract to for next season, regardless of what league we're in.

Some of the football in the first half was some of the best I've seen us play this season, although we lacked a cutting edge up front, it was throughly enjoyable to watch.

Fly out to Spain tomorrow, absolutely gutted to be missing out on our 1-1 draw with Queens Park at Hampden but shall be back for the play offs! 

9 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Thought Airdrie were excellent tonight, completely dominated for around 70 minutes of the game. I felt our subs weakened us but can't really fault anyone tonight. 

I really like the look of Arron Lyall, has the potential of turning into a really good player and I'm hoping he's one that we are considering offering a contract to for next season, regardless of what league we're in.

Some of the football in the first half was some of the best I've seen us play this season, although we lacked a cutting edge up front, it was throughly enjoyable to watch.

Fly out to Spain tomorrow, absolutely gutted to be missing out on our 1-1 draw with Queens Park at Hampden but shall be back for the play offs! 

BBC pundits saying D united just not up for it,hard to play your best when you can't get a kick of the ball,a goal or two would have been the icing on the cake,A lot of our moves certainly merited at least a couple of goals ,Can't remember when we played passing football like that last night ,