Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I’m trying not to get too uptight about McCabe’s contract situation. The club, particularly over the last five years, keep themselves very tight lipped about terms and dealings and McCabe himself even said they like to keep it all in house.

I’ve also had the realisation that Rhys is probably too good for us and he will obviously move on. When he does so he will do with our best graces, given the last two season under his tutelage. Only recently have I started to hear his name touted in the Sportsound & Superscoreboard discourse in connection with the Manager of the Year award, so perhaps the penny is dropping with some in the media and we can expect to hear him quoted for jobs instead of the usual Racists and Wife Beaters that they try to push.

43 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I’m trying not to get too uptight about McCabe’s contract situation. The club, particularly over the last five years, keep themselves very tight lipped about terms and dealings and McCabe himself even said they like to keep it all in house.

I’ve also had the realisation that Rhys is probably too good for us and he will obviously move on. When he does so he will do with our best graces, given the last two season under his tutelage. Only recently have I started to hear his name touted in the Sportsound & Superscoreboard discourse in connection with the Manager of the Year award, so perhaps the penny is dropping with some in the media and we can expect to hear him quoted for jobs instead of the usual Racists and Wife Beaters that they try to push.

This is  where i'm at too, it's tempting (and i've done it myself) to keep posting about "getting hime signed up" but the reality is, just like when you have an exceptional player, he will leave sooner rather than later. Best case scenario for me is he stays into next season, gets us into a decent position then leaves mid season, cant see him being here at the end of next season but you never know. Worst case scenario is he leaves in the summer and takes our better players with him including, presumably, Fordyce. I trust the club to have made the best offer they can though and as has been said, if he leaves he will go with a lot of gratitude for the last two seasons. 

2 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Airdrie were invited to and won the Buchan Cup at least once in the 90s, don't know if that coincided with the B&Q Cup win.

What cup, any Buchan cup! 

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Rhys will move on, it’s inevitable but he’s intelligent and will know when it’s time to do so. I said a few weeks ago that Airdrie were as good for Rhys as Rhys has been for Airdrie- he’s in control to the point where we lean on the agency he works with. Anyways I’m sure we will be in good hands when he moves on because this isn’t the same club that appointed guys like Findlay and EWB.

Just now, Diamond8 said:

Rhys will move on, it’s inevitable but he’s intelligent and will know when it’s time to do so. I said a few weeks ago that Airdrie were as good for Rhys as Rhys has been for Airdrie- he’s in control to the point where we lean on the agency he works with. Anyways I’m sure we will be in good hands when he moves on because this isn’t the same club that appointed guys like Findlay and EWB.

That's the key thing, both managerial appointments they've made have been a success - to varying degrees. There's a bit of Murray bashing sometimes on here (myself included in that) but if you look where we were when he came in to when he left it was night and day - a relegation threatened team to a side fighting at the top end each season. And he signed the basis of the team that eventually got us promoted. And McCabe's appointment speaks for itself. I think the team has been steadily improving over the past 3-4 years, which was also down initially to Murray and the work done behind the scenes by board. Therefore I'd hope when McCabe leaves the club will make another sound appointment and manage to maintain a decent level in the Championship.

I think the fact he has a young family and is obviously enjoying his set up at Airdrie should not be overlooked. With a move to a high pressure environment where there is no guarantee that he will get the support he gets with us comes risk. I also think he will have a fair bit of loyalty to the players and owner.

Next season in the championship he brings in some more of his own signings and it becomes his team. Go up as champions and bring in more of his own good players to challenge for top 6 in the premier. Goes on to build a dynasty while his young family grow up. 

This is football and everything is possible. If Motherwell can do it so can we.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I think the fact he has a young family and is obviously enjoying his set up at Airdrie should not be overlooked. With a move to a high pressure environment where there is no guarantee that he will get the support he gets with us comes risk. I also think he will have a fair bit of loyalty to the players and owner.

Next season in the championship he brings in some more of his own signings and it becomes his team. Go up as champions and bring in more of his own good players to challenge for top 6 in the premier. Goes on to build a dynasty while his young family grow up. 

Plenty of good posts on here. A good earlier post too recognising that Murray laid the foundations, and Rhys has built and grown on that. Murray did get us close but Rhys has really taken the opportunity with both hands. His self belief and determination is admirable. 

5 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I believe it would be to his benefit to stay another year but it's likely we soon won't be able to afford him. The best thing he can do for his family is to treble his salary and ultimately like all sportsmen he'll be on his way, and with my best wishes.

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Anyways I’m sure we will be in good hands when he moves on because this isn’t the same club that appointed guys like Findlay and EWB.

This is what worries me. We appointed Murray which progressed the club to a point where Rhys took over and ultimately got the material success. Could argue that this regime has a “100% hit rate” manager wise, but can lightning really strike thrice?

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's the key thing, both managerial appointments they've made have been a success - to varying degrees. There's a bit of Murray bashing sometimes on here (myself included in that) but if you look where we were when he came in to when he left it was night and day - a relegation threatened team to a side fighting at the top end each season. And he signed the basis of the team that eventually got us promoted. And McCabe's appointment speaks for itself. I think the team has been steadily improving over the past 3-4 years, which was also down initially to Murray and the work done behind the scenes by board. Therefore I'd hope when McCabe leaves the club will make another sound appointment and manage to maintain a decent level in the Championship.

I think it’s an attractive job for these reasons too. There were plenty of times (arguably most of his tenure) when a majority of fans were at best unconvinced by Murray but he was rightly given time to progress us and build his own team. Even McCabe had a couple of very sticky spells last season which might have been enough for an impatient board to pull the trigger. I suppose even going back to Findlay, he was incredibly well backed that summer (two year deals for jobbers like Scott Robertson and a transfer fee for Jonathan Page!). 

Who knows what calibre of manager would actually be interested but I think plenty of managers would be keen to work in the current set-up. 

10 hours ago, Mr November said:

I think it’s an attractive job for these reasons too. There were plenty of times (arguably most of his tenure) when a majority of fans were at best unconvinced by Murray but he was rightly given time to progress us and build his own team. Even McCabe had a couple of very sticky spells last season which might have been enough for an impatient board to pull the trigger. I suppose even going back to Findlay, he was incredibly well backed that summer (two year deals for jobbers like Scott Robertson and a transfer fee for Jonathan Page!). 

Who knows what calibre of manager would actually be interested but I think plenty of managers would be keen to work in the current set-up. 

Yes I don't think there would be any shortage of applicants for the post. 

10 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Yes I don't think there would be any shortage of applicants for the post. 

Not sure how realistic it would be but Tam Courts would be my no1 pick if McCabe left in the summer, can't actually think of many other guys out there right now I think the McBookie odds list would be pretty grim.

18 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Did someone put the dates for the playoffs up, cant see them now?

On 25/04/2024 at 15:06, Mr November said:

Play-off dates confirmed, nothing unexpected

CINCH PREMIERSHIP PLAY-OFFS

Tuesday May 7
cinch Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg
4th in Championship v 3rd in Championship
Live on BBC Scotland, kick-off 7.45pm

Friday May 10
cinch Premiership play-off quarter-final, 2nd leg
3rd in Championship v 4th in Championship

Tuesday May 14
cinch Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg
3rd or 4th in Championship v 2nd in Championship

Friday May 17
cinch Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg
2nd in Championship v 3rd or 4th in Championship

Thursday May 23
cinch Premiership play-off final, 1st leg
2nd or 3rd or 4th in Championship v 11th in Premiership
Live on Sky Sports, kick-off 8.00pm

Sunday May 26
cinch Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg
11th in Premiership v 2nd or 3rd or 4th in Championship
Live on Sky Sports, kick-off TBC

5 hours ago, Mr November said:

Looking at the play off's dates  certainly change my views on playing our strongest side ,we don't owe any other side anything ,only common sense to play our fringe players ,not as if we have not had our share of injuries and knowing our luck ,take no chances ,

On 01/05/2024 at 10:21, AJ77 said:

Not sure how realistic it would be but Tam Courts would be my no1 pick if McCabe left in the summer, can't actually think of many other guys out there right now I think the McBookie odds list would be pretty grim.

Courts would be the ideal replacement. I know he’s been at a few of our games this season, I think with friends(?), and he’s seemingly an admirer, but I think we’d need to get promoted or have another season in and around the play-offs before he became a likely option. 

Fordyce and ATS are your two obvious continuity candidates. I suppose the question with Fordyce would be, would McCabe take him with? Would Fordyce want to stay so he can keep playing? I think he’s got at least another couple of seasons in him at this level, whereas I don’t think McCabe has the legs for that, and retiring to become an assistant manager is much less of a draw than doing so to become the main man. And, obviously, does Fordyce even want to be a manager? 

I could see Kevin Thomson being linked with us. That’d be a big risk though as he’s done nothing in management other than coast League 2 with Kelty Hearts. And of course your Charlie Mulgrew, recently retired big name types will be mentioned. Whenever someone does take a punt on McCabe, which will be sooner rather than later unfortunately, we’ll be a more attractive proposition than when both he and Murray were appointed at least. 

7 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Courts would be the ideal replacement. I know he’s been at a few of our games this season, I think with friends(?), and he’s seemingly an admirer, but I think we’d need to get promoted or have another season in and around the play-offs before he became a likely option. 

Fordyce and ATS are your two obvious continuity candidates. I suppose the question with Fordyce would be, would McCabe take him with? Would Fordyce want to stay so he can keep playing? I think he’s got at least another couple of seasons in him at this level, whereas I don’t think McCabe has the legs for that, and retiring to become an assistant manager is much less of a draw than doing so to become the main man. And, obviously, does Fordyce even want to be a manager? 

I could see Kevin Thomson being linked with us. That’d be a big risk though as he’s done nothing in management other than coast League 2 with Kelty Hearts. And of course your Charlie Mulgrew, recently retired big name types will be mentioned. Whenever someone does take a punt on McCabe, which will be sooner rather than later unfortunately, we’ll be a more attractive proposition than when both he and Murray were appointed at least. 

Do you think MacCabe is further up the food chain than Kris Doolan of Thistle.... A lot of similarities between the two,  2 very talented young managers which is great to see in the wastelands of Scottish football..