Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

9 minutes ago, Mr November said:

The reaction when Ian Murray played a load of trialists like Luke Lyons and Harris O’Connor and lost 3-0 to Clyde was funny. Excluding the youth team players, did we sign any of the cup winning trialists? I think the previous year we only signed Luke Lyons and Gabby McGill but could be wrong. Very mixed success there!

Out of the Cup Winnings Trialists we signed Euan Deveney, Jay Riley, Alex Henderson, Bright Prince and Charlie Telfer so a few more than the previous year though I might be missing some, those are from the top of my head.

Forgot how bizarre the signing of Telfer was considering he played a trial game in June and didn't take until September to sign, apparently he was 'exploring other options' which meant he had zero offers elsewhere and then signed for us.

Edited by David Fernández

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Out of the Cup Winnings Trialists we signed Euan Deveney, Jay Riley, Alex Henderson, Bright Prince and Charlie Telfer so a few more than the previous year though I might be missing some, those are from the top of my head.

Forgot how bizarre the signing of Telfer was considering he played a trial game in June and didn't take until September to sign, apparently he was 'exploring other options' which meant he had zero offers elsewhere and then signed for us.

He probably had zero offers due to him allegedly wanting 800notes a week,  in fairness the lad played well and could be a big player for us in the championship (yup still not sunk in) if he resigns...

talking of resigningsi think the official registration window opens on Saturday,  the club have stipulated again that no signings will be announced until signed and sealed,    maybe get a few over the weekend...I

Wouldn't like to go into pre season half a,squad done,  Preseason training must be starting in the next 10 days or so,  is there an official date.

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

He probably had zero offers due to him allegedly wanting 800notes a week,  in fairness the lad played well and could be a big player for us in the championship (yup still not sunk in) if he resigns...

That's some wild inflated ego considering he'd just come off of a (yet another) dreadful season for the Grangemouth Galacticos and has an ongoing reputation for disappearing for large spells of games, as we also saw this year. I'm not keen on him signing again especially if he's one of the better earners.

10 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Airdrie, 2 in on loan, Arbroath 4 signings, Ayr United 2 signings, Dunfermline 1 signing, Raith Rovers 6 signings and everyone else none. 

Other than Raith who have gone on a mental signing spree, possibly Arbroath, there isn't much activity anywhere. 5 of the 10 League 1 clubs have announced signings and the same in the Premiership. I think we all need to calm down a bit. Once the players who we were wanting to retain have all been spoken to and outcomes announced then McCabe will no doubt move on to talking to players he will already have identified as possible signings.

I agree with your view on what Rhys will be doing, but  we already knew about the loan players some time ago. I get that I've exaggerated the wall of silence comment but it's come from the highs of the play off promotion , and eagerness to get ahead. 

8 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Either you or the Pars will get the promotion bounce 

It's generally the League One champions who go on to have a decent season. Playoff winners more often than not have gone straight back down. 

Don't particularly like losing players to other clubs in the same division.

I think it's still early, but I hope that the squad for next season is solidified far in advance of where we were last year. Stepping up a division is always a big challenge, and the more time to gel and prepare the team the better.

1 minute ago, Zanetti said:

It's generally the League One champions who go on to have a decent season. Playoff winners more often than not have gone straight back down. 

Just like Cove did?

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

Queen’s Park just finished 3rd and they were the first League One team to be promoted via the playoffs since Alloa in 2018, who stayed up a lot longer than most people would have expected (3 seasons I think?)

However, the season before Alloa it was Brechin that went up via the playoffs and they finished the season with 4 points and hastily got themselves relegated to the highland league. They were promoted from League One alongside champions Livingston in 2017, massively different experiences for those clubs.

26 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Queen’s Park just finished 3rd and they were the first League One team to be promoted via the playoffs since Alloa in 2018, who stayed up a lot longer than most people would have expected (3 seasons I think?)

However, the season before Alloa it was Brechin that went up via the playoffs and they finished the season with 4 points and hastily got themselves relegated to the highland league. They were promoted from League One alongside champions Livingston in 2017, massively different experiences for those clubs.

Alloa have been promoted twice via the playoffs, and both times just missed out on finishing 9th (once on goal difference I believe). Didn't Airdrie also finish 9th last time they did it, but were spared the relegation playoffs due to Livi being demoted?

Ayr have also been relegated immediately following promotion via the playoffs twice, as were Cowdenbeath and Brechin like you say. It may be more like a 50/50 split now in terms of survival, but my point still stands that typically the League One playoff winner doesn't do well. The season we just had was definitely the exception to that.

12 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Alloa have been promoted twice via the playoffs, and both times just missed out on finishing 9th (once on goal difference I believe). Didn't Airdrie also finish 9th last time they did it, but were spared the relegation playoffs due to Livi being demoted?

This is the first time we've properly been promoted through the play-offs. We got moved up after losing play-off finals in 2008, 2009 and 2012 due to Gretna, Livingston and Rangers but each time just ended up losing in the play-offs or automatically relegated. That was a different situation though as on each occasion we started building a squad for the third tier, only to end up in a higher league. It's quite an unfortunate record.

Just now, Mr November said:

This is the first time we've properly been promoted through the play-offs. We got moved up after losing play-off finals in 2008, 2009 and 2012 due to Gretna, Livingston and Rangers but each time just ended up losing in the play-offs or automatically relegated. That was a different situation though as on each occasion we started building a squad for the third tier, only to end up in a higher league. It's quite an unfortunate record.

Makes sense actually, cheers for the clarification! I vaguely remember Airdrie going up then struggling the next season but wasn't sure of the specifics.

Is McCabe likely to have less involvement in his playing role next season?

Just now, Zanetti said:

Makes sense actually, cheers for the clarification! I vaguely remember Airdrie going up then struggling the next season but wasn't sure of the specifics.

Is McCabe likely to have less involvement in his playing role next season?

Yeah it was a recurring theme for a while, we lost three play-off finals in a row from 2007-2009 and then a semi-final in 2010. Relegated from the Championship three times in four years!

I suspect we'll see him playing a bit less yeah. We had a great run towards the end of the season where he dropped out the team but he was arguably our best player across the four play-off games, showing up in the big moments. I'm not sure he has the legs to play in midfield every week at a higher level now and we need to improve in midfield anyway. He'll have a few big decisions to make about playing himself this season.

32 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Three Saturday games and the away game I might not bother with midweek, can't complain with that.

Plus a home game against the only side to bring any fans, and an away game to Bonnyrigg which is a chance for a new ground.

One of the more bizarre things I've seen is people on Twitter and Facebook (I know...) saying it's a 'joke' that we have to go there midweek. Short of ICT playing every match away from home I'm not sure what they were expecting.

26 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Plus a home game against the only side to bring any fans, and an away game to Bonnyrigg which is a chance for a new ground.

One of the more bizarre things I've seen is people on Twitter and Facebook (I know...) saying it's a 'joke' that we have to go there midweek. Short of ICT playing every match away from home I'm not sure what they were expecting.

Yeah this, they can't play all their games away from home. 😂

People are mental.