Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 minute ago, goodwin said:

Loving the comment about weans; mcmaster Devenny, Aiken are no bad. I'm loving the vibe about taking young players with potential. Seems to be working on and off the pitch

It's a high risk gamble when you have gone up a division and haven't strengthened weaker areas of the team with experience

Trust the process,  this current let's be honest relatively successful era is an ' Iain King wet dream '..  This was the mantra that was driven years ago under Wotherspoon, King and EWB which couldn't gain any traction and was scrapped for various reasons back then..

Good luck to the lad though,  

Who knows how good he’ll be. But we have done very well with young centre mids of a similar profile under McCabe. Devenny and McMaster came from the same level and have (so far) developed into two good Championship central midfielders. Obviously Gallagher is a year behind but hopefully he’ll prove to be another such gem. Rather than a young signing of the Jay Riley or Joe Dixon variety 😂 

He’s also, crucially, *not* Grant Gallagher which was my first thought when the Tweet appeared on my phone. 

1 minute ago, goodwin said:

Loving the comment about weans; mcmaster Devenny, Aiken are no bad. I'm loving the vibe about taking young players with potential. Seems to be working on and off the pitch

It's a long season ,Devenny seemed to be a better player when rumours he was moving ,I got shot down praising him ,I thought he could maybe show up well against a higher league player ,

Diamonds Annual Transfer Window Checklist Update*

Ma pal's cousin's alky uncle sez... - ✔️

ITK randobollocks - ✔️

Folk raging about a signing with a week of the window to go - ✔️✔️✔️✔️

Coyle / Stewart returning - TBC

30th Anniversary Quitongo signing - Suspended Indefinitely

* I reserve the right to lose my shit if this does conclude our transfer business this window.

19 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Who knows how good he’ll be. But we have done very well with young centre mids of a similar profile under McCabe. Devenny and McMaster came from the same level and have (so far) developed into two good Championship central midfielders. Obviously Gallagher is a year behind but hopefully he’ll prove to be another such gem. Rather than a young signing of the Jay Riley or Joe Dixon variety 😂 

He’s also, crucially, *not* Grant Gallagher which was my first thought when the Tweet appeared on my phone. 

McMaster I will give you Devenny on the other hand  never really played in the championship ,

Just now, Daddy Cheeze said:

Folk raging about a signing with a week of the window to go - ✔️✔️✔️✔️

Would love to have confidence that we'll do the sensible thing in that week, but suspect we won't. Interestingly myself and a few others have been getting the "whit ye worried about theres a whole summer/month/league cup campaign/three weeks/fortnight/week before the window shuts" pish from the usual faces since we started talking about championship quality players.

Edited by cb_diamond

Just now, cb_diamond said:

Would love to have confidence that we'll do the sensible thing in that week, but suspect we won't. Interestingly myself and a few others have been getting the "whit ye worried about there a whole summer/month/league cup campaign/three weeks/fortnight/week before the window shuts" pish from the usual faces since we started talking about championship quality players.

Everyone here just moans 24/7 we still have players to come in plus premiership teams haven’t fully registered there teams yet so still time for some loans 

Just now, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Everyone here just moans 24/7 we still have players to come in plus premiership teams haven’t fully registered there teams yet so still time for some loans 

You've been spouting this for weeks. 

Edited by cb_diamond

Simple fact is that we need more experience. If we were a regular championship team with a record of buying/selling young talent then fair enough but as of just now we are not.

This year is about staying up and getting the players in to do it. Not signing 19 year olds from Dalbeattie star 

Edited by Diamond1924

1 hour ago, goodwin said:

Signing low (wages wise) and young has worked out predominately well so far. Obviously he won’t have the benefit of a year in league 1 to get up to speed like Devenny and McMaster. But we’ve seen how far both have developed under McCabe’s tutelage, as indeed have more experienced players like Telfer, Frizzell, CalGal and Gabby. Maybe he’ll be rubbish but if he can develop into even a half-decent or useful squad player then he’ll be a good addition. 

It’s not exciting or glamorous but if the market we’re in is either young players or average-worse than average Championship/League 1 jobbers, I’m happy to take cheap punts like Gallagher than spend money that isn’t worth it on players who probably won’t fit into our system any better than Gallagher anyway. 

That being said, if Wotherspoon could decide who he wants to sign for sometime this calendar year that would be nice. 

A lot of people saying that we don’t have any championship quality players, couldn’t disagree more tbh.

Just because the players were in league 1 last season doesn’t mean they aren’t championship quality, I actually think most of them are.

Call me deluded but with the way we’ve been playing I’m not worried about relegation even with our current squad.

Having said that I can’t deny that it would be nice to see a Connor smith or wotherspoon in the door.

Just now, Diamonds02 said:

A lot of people saying that we don’t have any championship quality players, couldn’t disagree more tbh.

Just because the players were in league 1 last season doesn’t mean they aren’t championship quality, I actually think most of them are.

I honestly don't think anyone is saying that. We absolutely had/have players that cut it at this level, pretty certain most if not all teams in the league would take Frizz/Cammy/Josh etc

What we absolutely have not done is sign Championship quality players. Our transfer business has been really poor considering the jump in level.

Edited by cb_diamond

18 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I honestly don't think anyone is saying that. We absolutely had/have players that cut it at this level, pretty certain most if not all teams in the league would take Frizz/Cammy/Josh etc

What we absolutely have not done is sign Championship quality players. Our transfer business has been really poor considering the jump in level.

Yeah I get that, I guess I just don’t really agree that we need that much more than we have

Just now, Diamonds02 said:

Yeah I get that, I guess I just don’t really agree that we need that much more than we have

The squad is so thin in both numbers and quality, we absolutely need more. There's almost nothing to compete at this level beyond the first 11, who will hold their own.