Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Over 70k of guaranteed cup prize money now, 125k if we can win again. This will be really helping with the war chest for next season.

This isn't even counting the 50k already banked from the league cup. Imagine we'll be getting another 5 figure sum from the challenge cup too.

Perfect way to get over our Megwa hangover! Agree, a home tie against anyone (except the OF) is the order of the day.  Truly don’t fear any team but if we’re going to make an exit from the competition at the hands of one of the ugly sisters then it might as well be with an extra large pay day. Great performance from all but big shout to Hancock who I thought was absolutely outstanding.  Get that boy locked in to a contract, he gives 100% every game and reads the game brilliantly.  Saved us a couple of times today when SJ came close. 

This is the best Airdrie team I've seen in my lifetime supporting Airdrie. I'd argue that this team are better than the one we had where we finished 5th in the championship in 2005 and that Rhys McCabe is the best Airdrie manager since the 2002 era.

We can all talk about what we want in the draw etc but we completely played a team off the park in a higher division, who's manager previously managed the national team.

What a difference in how everyone was feeling on the 30th December at half time during the Queens Park game to just now!! ♦️♦️♦️

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

This is the best Airdrie team I've seen in my lifetime supporting Airdrie. I'd argue that this team are better than the one we had where we finished 5th in the championship in 2005 and that Rhys McCabe is the best Airdrie manager since the 2002 era.

We can all talk about what we want in the draw etc but we completely played a team off the park in a higher division, who's manager previously managed the national team.

What a difference in how everyone was feeling on the 30th December at half time during the Queens Park game to just now!! ♦️♦️♦️

Absolutely agree,  this is the best I can remember the 90s were great but a different type of football,  we are playing it the way it should be played,  frustrating for us old hats at times though..  Young new fans treasure these moments with your old dads etc....   

We will all look forward to the highlights tonight,  just keep the head when we get little praise and the big bad plastic pitch is made the reason for super saints defeat..   

Just now, Passionate said:

Absolutely agree,  this is the best I can remember the 90s were great but a different type of football,  we are playing it the way it should be played,  frustrating for us old hats at times though..  Young new fans treasure these moments with your old dads etc....   

We will all look forward to the highlights tonight,  just keep the head when we get little praise and the big bad plastic pitch is made the reason for super saints defeat..   

the 90s teams were something a bit different and Scottish football had a different style back then but our squad/success/atmosphere was brilliant from 91/96.  Having said that, this current team are playing some of the most attractive football I’ve seen in the Diamond and I love their never say die attitude.  We’ve taken quite a few scalps over the last couple of seasons, just like the 90s teams.  I’m quite happy to say that NONE of the teams in tomorrows hat will want to play us.   We’ll be the underdog that nobody wants to lose to 

What a delight the last twelve months have been and I'd agree about the impact of Mason Hancock while Charlie Telfer has been a driving force.

As to being the best ever seen I think we're entitled to get carried away but I've seen better in my lengthy years of supporting the ♦️

5 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

What a delight the last twelve months have been and I'd agree about the impact of Mason Hancock while Charlie Telfer has been a driving force.

As to being the best ever seen I think we're entitled to get carried away but I've seen better in my lengthy years of supporting the ♦️

I think Telfer has been the unsung hero this season, he brings real class and composure to the team and works incredibly hard.

When he arrived last season I felt a bit sorry for him because it was clear some fans had already pigeon-holed him as a certain type of player because of the comments of Falkirk fans, and probably because he was holding out for a better deal elsewhere. He was good in spells last year but injury meant he never got up to full speed, we're seeing this season what he can really bring to the team. Great to see him doing well after what I assume was a tough few years at Falkirk.

7 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It’s easy to come up with more successful teams etc but in all honesty, with the budget and resources we have this may be (pound for pound) one of the best Airdrie teams.  The BoD have done a great job and Rhys/Dycey have been fantastic. Honestly believe that them still playing gives the team that extra edge.  Dycey and Hancock playing great together, brilliant communication from them.  Rhys keeping the team focused and organizing things well with Friz, brilliant.  It’s mid January and we’re still in 2 cup competitions and a shout at the playoffs.  Thats where a good team should be!  Our boys will be well tired when everything’s finalized in May!! 

Fully deserved that, and all credit to the team for a really solid performance which made Saints look very ordinary.  I know they've struggled for the last couple of seasons, but that's an established Premier team who've been in the top league fifteen years, who've won cups and been in Europe in very recent years.  Most of our team were playing in League 1 last year, theirs make their daily bread playing Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen.  To turn in such a solid performance - rock solid at the back without Megwa or Ballantyne, Rae having little enough to do that you'd not expect any halfway decent keeper to deal with easily enough - was great to see.  To beat a Premier team without parking the bus and hitting them on the break, but going toe to toe and being the better team over the course of the game was just brilliant.   Saints looked ordinary, but a lot of credit has to go to our team for making them look ordinary.  We've not conceded a goal in open play for over a month now, including games against the league leaders and a team a division above.  That doesn't happen by accident, that's hard work and good organisation.

Bring on whoever comes out the hat.  This team has nothing to fear.

On a wider level, I'm just really, really enjoying watching Airdrie this season.  It's very different from dishing out shoeings to diddy teams like Clyde, Kelty and Falkirk in League 1 - which is very enjoyable in a different way.   This is being competitive and battling against good, established clubs with much more money and much bigger fanbases than we have.  It's a decade since we've been in this division, and to be honest the previous few times we'd been in it we weren't there on merit and endured some really grim stuff.  We've not actually looked competitive since probably Sandy Stewart was manager, and that's a long time ago now.  I don't know how long it'll last, I don't know when McCabe will get poached by Real Madrid, but I'm enjoying it while we have it.

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

It’s easy to come up with more successful teams etc but in all honesty, with the budget and resources we have this may be (pound for pound) one of the best Airdrie teams.

Yes, I agree with this.  I said in my post that we look the best we have since Sandy Stewart was manager, and that was a team that Owen Coyle, Allan Gow, Paul Lovering and Wullie McLaren in it, among others. 

Videos today showing you’re still the horrible little club you always will be.

Child been taken to hospital after being bottled - be good to see if the club and fellow fans make an efforT to stamp out this scumbag behaviour once and for all.

2 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

It’s easy to come up with more successful teams etc but in all honesty, with the budget and resources we have this may be (pound for pound) one of the best Airdrie teams.  The BoD have done a great job and Rhys/Dycey have been fantastic. Honestly believe that them still playing gives the team that extra edge.  Dycey and Hancock playing great together, brilliant communication from them.  Rhys keeping the team focused and organizing things well with Friz, brilliant.  It’s mid January and we’re still in 2 cup competitions and a shout at the playoffs.  Thats where a good team should be!  Our boys will be well tired when everything’s finalized in May!! 

I don't disagree with your analysis and it's impossible to compare as you say, given the resources etc . I'm just a happy chap tonight. 

13 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Child been taken to hospital after being bottled - be good to see if the club and fellow fans make an efforT to stamp out this scumbag behaviour once and for all.

Shite comments on some horrible behaviour. Take a look at the club and a wider support before coming on here to run your mouth.

I remember the last time we played St Johnstone at home in the Scottish,  our first season as United,  it took a last minute mishit Mark Baxter cross to save their skins that day at Airdrie,  with saints beating us on penalties in the replay......  At a wintry McDiarmid Park,   it's only taken us 20 years for payback,  I was gutted that night travelling back..

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think Telfer has been the unsung hero this season, he brings real class and composure to the team and works incredibly hard.

When he arrived last season I felt a bit sorry for him because it was clear some fans had already pigeon-holed him as a certain type of player because of the comments of Falkirk fans, and probably because he was holding out for a better deal elsewhere. He was good in spells last year but injury meant he never got up to full speed, we're seeing this season what he can really bring to the team. Great to see him doing well after what I assume was a tough few years at Falkirk.

On this, I think there’s a wider point of our team mostly being made up of young players or guys whose careers have been going nowhere. Telfer, Frizzell and Watson were all doing ok at best in League One and we’re now getting very good performances from them against much better opposition. McCabe, Fordyce, and I suppose Gallagher as well, are all guys who struggled a bit at this level previously too. That’s alongside getting really good performances from young players and ATS who broadly fits into the above categories.

We don’t have the budget to compete with the teams around us for most players so we have to be a bit more creative with our recruitment. It’s a real sign of great coaching to be able to identify players other clubs aren’t going for, improve both young and experienced players and to get this level of performance from them. 

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

These c***s aren't representative of the support in general and I imagine that any of our support who post on here if they've seen the video of the cowardly fucking c**t launching bottles into a pub from the doorway will be as horrified as I am. Anybody who can do that without a thought for the safety of innocent people trying to enjoy a bit of lunch or a lunchtime drink deserves the fucking jail and I hope they fucking get it.  Sorry if that doesn't fit with your narrative. I don't know who it is but I'd have no fucking problem putting their name out there if I did.

5 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Tremendous post and fully agree