Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

47 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Anyone going to go to the 1924 centenary dinner? My dad and I probably will. But £100 a ticket and not in Airdrie, on a working Sunday night? Not ideal, better be bloody good! 

+ VAT

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Anyone going to go to the 1924 centenary dinner? My dad and I probably will. But £100 a ticket and not in Airdrie, on a working Sunday night? Not ideal, better be bloody good! 

Certainly considering it and I do wonder who the target audience is at that price, dripping clues about the main speaker, and how many tickets are up for distribution? 

My dad was always so proud of seeing that cup win and I'd like to think of him if I go. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Yeah think I will. Obviously grudge paying that much money for anything but these things don’t exactly come around very often for us.

22 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Certainly considering it and I do wonder who the target audience is at that price, dripping clues about the main speaker, and how many tickets are up for distribution? 

My dad was always so proud of seeing that cup win and I'd like to think of him if I go. 

4 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Yeah think I will. Obviously grudge paying that much money for anything but these things don’t exactly come around very often for us.

I assume they’ve got a big(ish) name lined-up. I know that’s the done thing at these sort of events. But I’d personally rather have the event be exclusively about Airdrie and a celebration of the centenary and that team. Maybe that is the plan TBF. Have ex Airdrie players, legends, fans - John Henderson talking about the team and its historical significance would be perfect - and any surviving family members of players. 

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Here's my 89 year old Uncle a couple of years ago rhyming of team.

Learnt to recite that team as a kid.  Those eleven men earned themselves a place in folklore, and that'll be maintained as long as the club and the community around it exist. 

Edited by A Diamond For Me

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

That's just the regular price of a steak pie at New Broomfield, I think.

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I think the main reason it is being held at the Westerwood is because of limitations on capacity at any venue in Airdrie? There isn't a lot of options in the town for the numbers they are probably expecting and what they want to do. 

4 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Airdrie fans complaining? Nahhhhh

My favourite complaint this week was some geezer making his point known that he won't be attending the cup final against TNS because B teams were in the tournament, don't agree with the b teams in it but not going to your teams first cup final in 16 years because of that really petty.

Can I also add to the ridiculous complaints:

Fans saying it's disgraceful that they have to sit about 15 seats to the side of where they normally sit due to the middle section being for hospitality. What a hardship indeed...

Fans commenting about 'glory hunters' turning up for the big games.

And my favourite, complaining that there will be 'No parking' cones on the surrounding streets meaning they'll either have to walk a bit further or get the bus/train.

That's not to mention complaints about tickets prices, the venue for the Challenge Cup Final and numerous other bizarre things.

We've been hopeless for years playing in front of tiny crowds, now we have a decent side, fans returning, playing big sides in the cup and have reached a cup final and yet 5 mins of looking online and you'd think there is a sizable portion of fans who'd prefer to go back to the days of playing in front of 700 fans and losing to Albion Rovers just so they could sit in their own seat and not be inconvenienced by any of the things that come with being a reasonably succesful football club.

30 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Fans saying it's disgraceful that they have to sit about 15 seats to the side of where they normally sit due to the middle section being for hospitality. What a hardship indeed...

And my favourite, complaining that there will be 'No parking' cones on the surrounding streets meaning they'll either have to walk a bit further or get the bus/train.

That's not to mention complaints about tickets prices, the venue for the Challenge Cup Final and numerous other bizarre things.

We've been hopeless for years playing in front of tiny crowds, now we have a decent side, fans returning, playing big sides in the cup and have reached a cup final and yet 5 mins of looking online and you'd think there is a sizable portion of fans who'd prefer to go back to the days of playing in front of 700 fans and losing to Albion Rovers just so they could sit in their own seat and not be inconvenienced by any of the things that come with being a reasonably succesful football club.

I’m fortunate enough that I’m only a 10 minute walk from the ground but I did see the seethe about the car parking and have a bit of a chuckle. It’s very small time to be annoyed about such a thing.

Just imagine how it’ll be when Rhys McCabe has us qualifying for the group stage of the Champions League and Real Madrid are coming to town… probably be the same ones moaning about allocated seating and not being able to pay £3 for the car park.

43 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

"Glory Hunters" - you have to laugh at that, totally clueless as to how we are as a club. Until we fill our stadium with fans every home game (or even the main stand at the least!), cope with ever increasing overheads including sky high electricity bills etc... then we are in absolutely no position to pick and choose who dare pay the club £25 to come to a game. Their money is as good as anyone's so roll up I say. Clueless. 

There's not a club in the world that won't have a bigger turnout for bigger games.  It's been great to have had more of those in recent years.  Bigger crowds, higher stakes, better atmosphere, more money for the club... I want us to be having bigger games more often.  The palpable sense of despair at so, so many games over the last decade plus was grim, if getting away from that means walking a bit futher to watch a game every now and then I'm all for it.

Latest pod is up thanks to Emma Quigley, David Quigley, Barry Davies and Ross Mitchell (RSM stats) for discussing the recent Airdrie brilliance.

Thanks also to Joel Sked of Hearts Standard for coming on and giving us A View from the Tynecastle Terrace

Enjoy 🎧♦️

Having worked in customer service for years nothing about the general public amazes me so I'm not surprised to read about folk moaning about having to move 10 seats along or not being able to park in their usual spot etc.

As for the complaints about 'glory hunters', we should be encouraging more folk to come to the games, not drive them away, I took my friend who's a Rangers fan to the Inverness game last month and he was impressed with Airdrie, even more so that he's coming along to hospitality with me to the Arbroath game next month.

I've never seen Airdrie play Hearts at home before so I'm excited and really looking forward to the occasion, hopefully a cracking support and atmosphere. 

I've seen Airdrie win the challenge Cup twice but it would be amazing for the younger fans to see Airdrie win a trophy and that would be something they would remember forever, and hopefully have them keep coming back.

I'd honestly take the comments on FB or other forms of social media with a pinch of salt, folk just like a moan about anything.

14 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not sure what you mean, this is a completely normal reaction to having to sit 10 yards away from your normal seat.

IMG_3379.jpeg

What a bizarre reaction.

ETA: I can see people finding it a wee bit inconvenient, but "despicable" should be reserved for, for instance, clubs signing David Goodwillie, or not paying bills they've run up to local businesses, that kind of thing.  "I might have to sit somewhere else" when we host our biggest crowd in a decade really doesn't compare.

Edited by A Diamond For Me

47 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Not sure what you mean, this is a completely normal reaction to having to sit 10 yards away from your normal seat.

IMG_3379.jpeg

Treated like horseshit and despicable for having to move sections haha what absolute drivel, get these sort of people everywhere in life unfortunately.