Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 minute ago, airdrieoldboy said:

Yes, so McCabe injured Aiden Wilson and Lewis McGregor for example , what a load of crap and please reflect on the dark days in League 1 when we struggled to beat Pub teams!

Yes, so two players injured and the whole teams f**ked. Excellent management and recruitment 

When I looked at the team line up before the game kicked off I got the absolute fear looking at the defensive line up.

I didn't expect to get anything out of today but it's really really bad losing 4 goals from corner kicks, felt Wright could've done better with the first goal but he made some good saves to keep the score down.

Ben Wilson is very isolated up front and we have no out ball whatsoever.

The big reason we picked up points away from home was having an out ball like McGill and Todorov up top which allowed us to mix our game up, I'm not convinced that Reid and Cooper will offer much of an alternative from the bench. 

I thought for the first 10 minutes of the second half we looked more like ourselves and were unlucky not to score, so I'm not convinced after a few heavy defeats that we have suddenly turned into a terrible team overnight.

Priority now has to be trying to replace Todorov which a striker who will take the pressure off of Wilson who either has a decent bit of pace, or someone who can hold up the ball.

The last two performances haven't been great, but with 14/15 new players, it's going to take time for such a young team to gel, there's obviously areas in the squad we need to improve on, but I think once it clicks together we'll be fine.

Edited by David Fernández

4 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Yes, so two players injured and the whole teams f**ked. Excellent management and recruitment 

Yes, we will just give up mate !

What a fecking knicker wetter, we will be fine this season- in Rhys I trust, you obviously do not!

We have lost eleven goals in the past two games, under normal circumstances this would be cause for a change at the top. However, this is football and it is rather unpredictable, to say the least. We lost to Ayr away by some margin, mainly because we were bullied all over the park. This I can accept was McCabe's fault for loading the midfield with creative light-weight players like McGrattan, Aiken, and Mochrie.

Today we were up against a premiership side who were flying and full of confidence. The sending-off resulted in the scoreline to a degree but like Ayr we caught them at the worst possible time.

I expect the season will go well for us but we need to have a bit more steel and aggression in the side. Ayr and Dundee showed our frailties to the fullest in the past couple of weeks. Mccabe is no mug. I'm sure he and the backroom staff are more than aware of this.

23 minutes ago, DiamomdsD said:

It’s frustrating, especially if you made the journey, but lets keep the head. Last week was bad but we never really had a chance going in to today with a number of injuries and against a much stronger top 6 team. Let’s see how things work out over the next few weeks in the league before we start to panic.

Before the Ayr game we were going to win the league!

I don't disagree with your overall message, but where has this 'number of injuries' thing appeared from that I keep seeing? We had Wilson missing, and McGregor who has been in and out the last 2 seasons anyway. That's it is it not? A couple of injuries/suspensions each week is par for the course and is nowhere near enough to be an excuse for any result.

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I don't disagree with your overall message, but where has this 'number of injuries' thing appeared from that I keep seeing? We had Wilson missing, and McGregor who has been in and out the last 2 seasons anyway. That's it is it not? A couple of injuries/suspensions each week is par for the course and is nowhere near enough to be an excuse for any result.

I think Watson would be the other, he was mentioned in the preview and to be honest hasn’t looked quite right since he picked up an injury right at the end of the Dumbarton game. I assume if he was in any way fit he’d have played today but even with the sending off, no point risking him when the game was already gone. The bigger issue is still not having depth in some key areas rather than injuries.

Despite our amazing season last season our away form was pretty uninspiring (second to worst behind Arbroath overall) but in late February we started playing more direct mixing it up and had 3 great wins that month beating Raith in the cup, Dunfermline and Dundee Utd. 

Having McGill and Toddy really suited that style and as much as I slaughtered O’Connor having runners like him and Mcgregor also complimented the style in these games (both scored from the bench) I fear we have reverted back to the old away form from earlier last season due to the personnel we have at our disposal. 

I don’t think the tactics played now suit us without McGregor either as Wilson is far too isolated going forward. 

As for today I wouldn’t have expected much with a full squad but conceding 11 in 2 is worrying regardless of who is in the starting line up. 

I absolutely trust McCabe and don’t get the OTT “ its all f**ked” reaction from some but at the same time we absolutely should be concerned and the idea that this will sort itself out when a few players become fit also seems a little naive and rose tinted. 

Lastly not comparing the 2 nor am I saying the latter is suddenly not good enough I think he is fantastic but if there is criticism coming in for McDonald (who I though was fine till the last 2 games) then criticism I think has to come for others like Hancock who in the last 2 games has looked just as shaky. He got a torrid time from Ayr especially from Musonda and my opinion is they are being let down and not helped by the players around them when defending. Hancock got lucky with a few simple long balls like the one Murray should have buried today too. 

Again before anyone starts getting carried away thinking I’m slagging Hancock all I’m saying is last 2 games McDonald is the easy scape goat and there is plenty more who deserve as much criticism from the last 2 performances and I was one who said having seen McDonald a number of times last season I didn’t think he was good enough for this level I’m not some avid defender of him either. 

It’s a rough few results but surely no need for panic? Airdrie will be absolutely fine this season? I do think you lack physicality for what it’s worth. We get plaudits for the football we play in the top flight but we’re still very physical. And I think Airdrie try to play more than we do. There’s probably a balance but very refreshing to see a side that have a clear approach and you can see how well you’re coached. Sounds daft and probably patronising hearing that from a fan of the team won comfortably today, but I was impressed. And you’ll have a lot of boys to come back in. Not a problem. 

8 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

It’s a rough few results but surely no need for panic? Airdrie will be absolutely fine this season? I do think you lack physicality for what it’s worth. We get plaudits for the football we play in the top flight but we’re still very physical. And I think Airdrie try to play more than we do. There’s probably a balance but very refreshing to see a side that have a clear approach and you can see how well you’re coached. Sounds daft and probably patronising hearing that from a fan of the team won comfortably today, but I was impressed. And you’ll have a lot of boys to come back in. Not a problem. 

As long as we get plaudits from teams that have rode us,  we will be happy,   trust me...

Good luck for rest of the season 

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

As long as we get plaudits from teams that have rode us,  we will be happy,   trust me...

Good luck for rest of the season 

Yeah I get your point.  But there’s enough evidence in the bank that’ll it turn around? 

Shipping 11 goals in 2 games is a complete embarrassment.

Main issue seems to be that there is absolutely zero depth in quality as a couple of injuries and results go right into the bin.

Didn't expect anything other than a loss but the defending at corners was poor but given there's no natural centre backs there in the first half and inexperienced ones in the second half , it's no surprise that a clinical Dundee took advantage.

We've too many nice footballers in midfield and I kept wishing today for the days of Evan Balfour pounding that area , and some pace on the wings.

Too early to panic but there are some key areas needing sorted out. 

3 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Last time I saw you post you lot were 0-5 down to us at half time so keep quiet wee man

It’s just very quiet from Airdrie fans recently. You were all over our page for a good few years every week. We’re not even getting the crowdwanking jibes anymore. Bit hard to take Falkirk having a good team? 

7 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

It’s just very quiet from Airdrie fans recently. You were all over our page for a good few years every week. We’re not even getting the crowdwanking jibes anymore. Bit hard to take Falkirk having a good team? 

That was a brilliant result from Falkirk today and I actually posted on your page how impressed I was last year with you guys winning league 1 (which is a more difficult league than others make out) undefeated. 

The fact even after an amazing result beating a team who were 3rd in the SPL last season and your first thought is posting on the Airdrie p&b page speaks volumes about you as a poster.

You're probably the worst Falkirk poster on p&b which actually says something considering there's a lot of bad posters on your thread. 

8 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

Please go away, your lot spent many years in the League One wasteland as we did - yes, you have had a couple of results but, look forward to seeing you in Airdrie in a few weeks - yes, bring plenty fans as usual, good for our coffers and we will beat you as usual, think it was 6- 2 last time you were there ?😁😁😁

2 hours ago, airdrieoldboy said:

Please go away, your lot spent many years in the League One wasteland as we did - yes, you have had a couple of results but, look forward to seeing you in Airdrie in a few weeks - yes, bring plenty fans as usual, good for our coffers and we will beat you as usual, think it was 6- 2 last time you were there ?😁😁😁

Sadly for Airdrie we won’t be bringing the same team.

19 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Flourishing it a bit. Game was done when you had eleven men.

Not saying we would’ve won with 11 but the complaint has been the amount we conceded but considering we went into the game without a fit centre half to then have another defender sent off I’m not sure what anyone was expecting.

11 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

We’ve become a team where if one or two of our starting 11 are out injured we collapse like a warm Easter egg. I’ll not be back until we get some DECENT and EXPERIENCED boys in. 

Fans can constructively criticise, it's what we do, but this boils ma piss!