Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

1 hour ago, NickMcG said:

Would that not allow Haaland to more easily get in behind us?  

On the contrary, attempting to keep possession will allow Haaland to get behind us when we win the ball back

We need to do the opposite and allow Norway to keep possession in order that we can nick it and get behind them

Ot course, Norway could just go long like they did when they were successful…..

Edited by Captain_Sensible

The best team doesn't always win. Football isn't played on paper.

To progress Norway need to beat their direct competition, for whatever reason they haven't yet done that. Scotland failed to do that too in Euro 2020 qualifying and 20/21 Nations League against Russia and Czech Republic respectively. Recently Norway have failed to usurp Turkey and Serbia while Scotland have found a way to push past both Austria (who were a train wreck of a team) and Ukraine.

Norway were competitive in their World Cup 2022 qualifying but weren't able to best Turkey in their head to head games. Turkey beat their groups top seeds and Norway were required to play their home game against Turkey in Spain. Norway were competitive in the 22/23 Nations League but lost their final two games including a final game at home to Serbia, losing control of the group similarly to how we lost control of our 20/21 Nations League group with back to back away defeats in Slovakia and Israel.

My period started with a messy World Cup qualifier with covid, home games away from home and Qatar issues. We saw better performances in the Nations League and good performances in the EC qualifiers this March, where unfortunately we were poorly paid in terms of points.

Stale Solbakken

https://www.fotball.no/landslag/norge-a-herrer/2023/stale-solbakken-forlenger-avtalen/

Edited by 2426255

21 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Harsh imo. We were well in control against Moldova and Armenia, and for the majority of Cyprus. 

Sorry, I agree we largely had good control of those games, but I meant to say we could have used the ball better, played faster, maybe more penetration. I still think our possession game is bit of a work in progress and it suits us better when the opposition have more of the play. We have scored some brilliant counter attacking goals.

21 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Out of interest, have those comments from Clarke changed your mind as to any selection decisions?

No. I think Gunn, Tierney, Robertson, Hickey, McGregor, McGinn and Dykes will definitely start and then four from the rest depending on who suit the game-plan best. There are loads of variables that could affect selection and information that we as fans don't have access to so I wouldn't try to guess beyond the players I've listed.

I don't think it was really the plan to have such little time on the ball against Spain and it was more a consequence of us scoring early so I think Steve Clarke's comments could refer to that rather than actively planning to control the game in Norway through possession and we might have around 35 - 45% possession rather than the 25% we had against Spain.

I think it'll be mixed, more control in the game without really being the dominant team in terms of possession and the willingness to play long and exploit opportunities to break quickly. We're quite flexible and perform all facets of the game to a decent level.

Edited by 2426255

image.thumb.png.00164744d8c733545690705694aa5220.png

That's how the Norway and Scotland squads compare in terms of international experience. Norwegian replacements for those missing from the last international window are Velde, Finne, Wembangomo and Dyngeland. Selvik is the 2nd or 3rd choice keeper and the rest were all involved in the last camp apart from Ajer and Haaland who were called up but injured.

With 8 games left of the season only Jack Hendry can reach a milestone being 4 games away from reaching 25 caps from the June squad*. Going the other way Odegaard is set to win his 50th cap against us so I'm sure that'll be a focus for Norway and is quite something given his age.

Edited by 2426255

Ryerson moved to Dortmund in Jan 2023 after playing over 100 games at Union Berlin.

He's listed as right footed but has been used mostly at left back by Dortmund so maybe he's two footed like Hickey or an unusual case.

Edited by 2426255

Checked out a few online menus for pubs and bars in Oslo and it seems like a pint is anywhere between £6 and £8.50 anywhere I've checked. Still not cheap but looks like the exchange rate has been decent in our favour for a change which has meant it feels cheaper than last time.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Checked out a few online menus for pubs and bars in Oslo and it seems like a pint is anywhere between £6 and £8.50 anywhere I've checked. Still not cheap but looks like the exchange rate has been decent in our favour for a change which has meant it feels cheaper than last time.

Never been to Norway but was speaking to a mate who is often over there, and he said  with increase in prices here Norway now doesn't seem quite as expensive as it once was. 

On 07/06/2023 at 13:15, 2426255 said:

Not sure about that tbh, Norways supporting cast include players at Leipzig, Dortmund, Roma, Napoli, Benfica, Sociedad and Rennes in addition to Haaland and Odegaard. Norway have a good squad with a couple of outstanding individuals.

Good thing we’ve got players at Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Villa, Brighton, Brentford, Bologna, Celtic and Club Brugge then.

I know they were in a false position in the Nineties due to their financial/stadium issues, and always had potential to be a bigger club, but I'm never going to get used to "we've got a player at Brighton" being a brag.

1 hour ago, BTFD said:

I know they were in a false position in the Nineties due to their financial/stadium issues, and always had potential to be a bigger club, but I'm never going to get used to "we've got a player at Brighton" being a brag.

Or Brentford. Or Bologna. or Bruges.

Dortmund, Roma, Napoli, Benfica, aye.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Or Brentford. Or Bologna. or Bruges.

Dortmund, Roma, Napoli, Benfica, aye.

Brentford is worse. And Bournemouth too. How the f**k have they ended up in England's top league?

Nah, must be a nice adventure for them. However, I'm still outraged at Chelsea and Man City being in the top division without needing a few seasons playing Walsall and Barnsley to recover from the nosebleeds.

16 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Wish we had called up gauld just for the Vancouver Whitecaps gravitas

Bruce Grobbelaar played for them before rocking up at Liverpool.

I'm not sure how that's relevant, other than being the only reason I was aware of them pre-Gauld.

16 hours ago, BTFD said:

Bruce Grobbelaar played for them before rocking up at Liverpool.

I'm not sure how that's relevant, other than being the only reason I was aware of them pre-Gauld.

Peter Beardsley too? 

2 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Peter Beardsley too? 

Huh - that I never knew, but I like the idea that one of Europe's most successful clubs could have had a Vancouver Whitecaps alumni association.