Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

14 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I used to work a lot in Norway. They were nice enough people (if a bit hard to get to know)

I don't think Norway are good at the 'the dark arts'. They played a good clean game and I think that helped us. Odegaard was quite polite in his post match. Culturally I've found people in Norway to be non confrontational which is good in society, but maybe less so in sport.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Easy to get carried away with what it meant and the circumstances, but I genuinely think that second goal is the best I've seen Scotland score. Every bit of the move is perfect.

McTominay's pass is exquisite. A bit more weight on it and McGinn would be on the ball wider and not be in position to get to Dykes' feet, a bit shorter and it's not clearing Dykes and the centre back. It's perfectly measured.

It would have been so easy for McGinn to either lash that towards goal or alternatively take another touch to try to work an angle for a shot himself, but it's a great ball to Dykes.

You wouldn't remotely blame Dykes in that position for taking a touch and trying to spin on it and shoot, but he's got the composure to see McLean's run and measures the layoff perfectly.

It's a tremendous run McLean has made and then the finish is absolutely glorious. On his weaker foot!

It is beautifully ruthless. The Norweigians must have been rocked not just by the quick succession of the goals but how devastatingly effective that second goal was. Just absolutely bodied them.

16 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd like to thank all those who were slagging off Lyndon Dykes and Kenny McLean.

As usual, the patented P&B "Reverse Commentator's Curse" worked wonders

Happy to be called out on this. "Kenny McLean isn't the player you bring on when you're fucking losing" quoth a desperate and seething Velo Army 🙃.

2 hours ago, Binos said:

We're bearing the fruits of rangers being illiquid 

There being no money in top flight for a number of years and teams having to play scots 

Sadly reversing recently 

I’m not really sure that proves true when you look at the players involved yesterday.   We have quite a range of how players in how they came up through the game and there aren’t many who would have not got the game time they did had there been slightly more cash in the top flight around 2012-2016 

15 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I’m not really sure that proves true when you look at the players involved yesterday.   We have quite a range of how players in how they came up through the game and there aren’t many who would have not got the game time they did had there been slightly more cash in the top flight around 2012-2016 

Have a look at the top flight sides today and see how many scots are in them

I actually think the first Scotland goal involved the better move of the two.  

We get up the field for it via three or four incisive passes through the middle in a way that the most of the passing we'd done before, simply wasn't.

Obviously, the opening was reliant on the defender getting in a mess, but it was great athleticism from Dykes and a clever finish.  At first I'd thought it was a bit sclaffy,but he did very deliberately flick it past the goalkeeper.

It was a nice lay off and excellent finish for the winner too, but I thought the move was a bit more  speculative beforehand.  I'm not at all convinced that McGinn was aiming for Dykes when he found him.

21 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Also effects were longer lasting than just years out of top flight 

Taken a while longer 

Now teams back to 3/4s foreign players 

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I actually think the first Scotland goal involved the better move of the two.  

We get up the field for it via three or four incisive passes through the middle in a way that the most of the passing we'd done before, simply wasn't.

Obviously, the opening was reliant on the defender getting in a mess, but it was great athleticism from Dykes and a clever finish.  At first I'd thought it was a bit sclaffy,but he did very deliberately flick it past the goalkeeper.

It was a nice lay off and excellent finish for the winner too, but I thought the move was a bit more  speculative beforehand.  I'm not at all convinced that McGinn was aiming for Dykes when he found him.

I am not sure who Super John was passing to !

Very interesting that while that goal was being celebrated Andy Robertson and SSC were having a quick word !

Go for another ?

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd like to thank all those who were slagging off Lyndon Dykes and Kenny McLean.

As usual, the patented P&B "Reverse Commentator's Curse" worked wonders

Absolutely sensational 

3 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Absolutely sensational 

Not only did he get it horrendously wrong in terms of how the match played out, he’s also f*cked it in terms of the players he’s complaining about.

Where’s he getting two centre halves out of Cooper, Gilmour, Armstrong and McLean? Christie was brought off in the  triple sub too 😅