US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

8 hours ago, Plumpy said:

And how do you reckon they should officially kill him ? Are we ok about wanting to kill people we don't like, maybe start a thread on it.

Just to clarify this point.  The Dead Pool have repeatedly said that Jimmy Carter seems to be a really great guy, they would love to meet him,  shake his hand and all that.

Just that there are a few points in all of this.  Maybe fake his own death for the next decade.  That would work.

17 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Just seeing a speech by Harris. Wow.

If she keeps that up, she's going to tear Trump a new one.

Storming speech, next test will be a tough long interview. 

P.S. The whole launch was seamlessly professional, pitch perfect from the campaign boss, her husband, Biden (who they must have been shitting themselves about but did it perfectly), and Kamala managing to look natural, relaxed and not over rehearsed. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Being pro-choice isn't going to be enough of a vote winner…

I think you’re wrong there. Especially as a number of States will have an abortion rights referendums on the ballot…deliberately.

9 hours ago, velo army said:

This isn't the Dems strong suit at all. If social media is any indication (and it may not be a reliable one) they'll once again run this on identitarian grounds (while also railing against Harris being defined by her race and gender by detractors)  and her not being Trump. That'll be it. What does Harris believe in or care about? Being pro-choice isn't going to be enough of a vote winner and I don't think she has any left-wing economic leanings to speak of, so where does the inspiration aside from her skin colour and gender (and not being Trump) come from?

With respect, I think that's a wee bit simplistic.  For a start, Harris now looks almost certain to be the Presidential candidate this time and that in itself will require much more than an identitarian approach.  Secondly, the abortion issue is a huge problem for the Republicans, as they have quietly but dogmatically marched into quicksand across any number of states.

Thirdly, a decent pick of prospective VP could be a very significant factor, politically and personally.  Vance is already coming across as a cardboard cutout who failed his audition for the A-Team and that needs amplified.

We don't have to like Harris or her perceived lack of policies, but when you look at the alternative it fairly concentrates the mind.

11 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Time isn't on the Dems side here but if they focus hard on issues that animate the public and will likely hurt the Republicans then Harris and whoever can start to gain early traction.

The last year has shown abortion to be one such issue and in that regard it's good that Biden's faith will no longer be a factor in the conversation.

This is going to be the most negative campaign in history - polices will not come into it.

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Thirdly, a decent pick of prospective VP could be a very significant factor, politically and personally.  Vance is already coming across as a cardboard cutout who failed his audition for the A-Team and that needs amplified.

I’ve only found out today that Vance apparently confessed in ‘Hillbilly Elegy’ that as a younger man he was fond of putting an inside-out latex glove between two couch cushions and sticking some Marvin Gaye on.

I’m now at a loss to see how the guy passed vettting for…well…anything. It was apparently a best seller, did loads of people buy it and just not bother their arse reading it? 

Anyway, on the identitarian approach it does strike me that 6’2 Andy Beshear is exactly that type of person you’d want in front of a camera shaking hands with a 5’7 sofa shagger. If, indeed, Beshear agrees that he’s up to date on all his inoculations and is OK to shake hands with Vance. Ew. 

ETA - it’s apparently fake news. Ah well. Would be a shame if it kept getting traction. 

Edited by carpetmonster

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This is going to be the most negative campaign in history - polices will not come into it.

The more Harris concentrates on policy and continues to project a 'presidential' stance, the more (!) unhinged Trump will become. I can imagine his rants and personal attacks veering off into such deluded rubbish that his support will soon consist of just his nutter gang.

29 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

The more Harris concentrates on policy and continues to project a 'presidential' stance, the more (!) unhinged Trump will become. I can imagine his rants and personal attacks veering off into such deluded rubbish that his support will soon consist of just his nutter gang.

Yes, it would be better if his nutter gang wasn't about 70 million strong though.

1 hour ago, Dan Steele said:

His rant yesterday about "crooked Biden" has to be the most lacking in self-awareness ever.

The Republicans campaign will be vitriolic, based on lies and innuendo - the Democrats may well have some policy focus to their campaign but I'd bet my bottom dollar they will go after Trump on the basis of his character, the convictions and all the other lies he's told.

The people who decide this election won't be the political zealots but the swing voters - women in particular are going to be a key group in thus election. You would hope that the more the Democrats attack, the more unhinged Trump becomes.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh