US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

Aye it'll be very tight and anyone thinking otherwise is deluded. Could all come down to the old blue wall states, it could come down to newer swing states like Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina, or we could end up where it's a state nobody thought was competitive and who neither side really campaigned in that is the key state in the end. That's why I'm so worried Trump loses by dint of losing Georgia and all the nut jobs down there rush to throw out thousands of Harris votes before the certification is done.

28 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye it'll be very tight and anyone thinking otherwise is deluded. Could all come down to the old blue wall states, it could come down to newer swing states like Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina, or we could end up where it's a state nobody thought was competitive and who neither side really campaigned in that is the key state in the end. That's why I'm so worried Trump loses by dint of losing Georgia and all the nut jobs down there rush to throw out thousands of Harris votes before the certification is done.

Beyond mental that Georgia is will again likely be the center of the Trump push to nullify votes. Just play the recorded phone call from Jan 2021 ffs. He was recorded trying to nullify the views of 2.47million voters. He should be nowhere near an election in that state. 

I think the Dems will pull it off but it will be close.

Yes Trump has a lot of passionate vocal supporters but I think the Dems will have a lot of silent voters, undecideds and nevertrumpers that will swing it...just.  Those that hold their noses and vote for Trump will be a minority.

5 hours ago, bigmarv said:

Beyond mental that Georgia is will again likely be the center of the Trump push to nullify votes. Just play the recorded phone call from Jan 2021 ffs. He was recorded trying to nullify the views of 2.47million voters. He should be nowhere near an election in that state. 

Considering the demographics of the areas that he's attempted to nullify, Trump's entire voter suppression adventure can be summed up as "the ethnics shouldn't have a vote anyway", and you have to wonder how many of his supporters privately agree. That's an even bigger worry than anything the ochre arsehole says or does.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Considering the demographics of the areas that he's attempted to nullify, Trump's entire voter suppression adventure can be summed up as "the ethnics shouldn't have a vote anyway", and you have to wonder how many of his supporters privately agree. That's an even bigger worry than anything the ochre arsehole says or does.

They don’t bother to keep that thought private…and they’d prefer the wimin folks didn’t vote either.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Trump campaign has lost its dog whistle.

Saw that last night, thought it had to be a spoof.

These people dont really care, do they?

I've been waiting for the word 'racist' to come out of jail for a while now. Folk whose views perfectly match the dictionary definition of racism will still go into screaming denial if it's mentioned that they are, in fact, a racist.

Considering how a huge slice of the American populace have embraced their candidate's criminality and wear the 'felon' badge with pride, it's surely only a matter of time until "racist and proud" becomes the war cry of the right. I've no doubt they'd still carry most of their non-Caucasian support, as the pick-mes would likely agree that a lot of people of their race are bad, but they're one of the good ones.

She'll need a poll from decided Dems to ask whether they'd still vote for her if she withdrew support for Israel. It would be portrayed as backing Hamas terrorists.

I think we probably all suspected that this election might come down to the all-important question, "who's yer big team, hen?"

George Bush senior was the last US president to play hardball with Israel, told them he would withhold $10 billion in loan guarantees to house Russian emigres unless none of it was spent on West Bank settlements. He went from 70% popularity to losing the next election, his Jewish vote dropping from 35% to 11%.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

George Bush senior was the last US president to play hardball with Israel, told them he would withhold $10 billion in loan guarantees to house Russian emigres unless none of it was spent on West Bank settlements. He went from 70% popularity to losing the next election, his Jewish vote dropping from 35% to 11%.

I'd hazard that the US Jewish vote was a much more homogeneous bloc back then than it is today.  Sure, there will remain a hardcore 'my Israel, right or wrong' element, with many elderly, but there is also a considerable number of global Jews utterly abhorred by the actions of Netanyahu and his government, and America will be no exception.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'd hazard that the US Jewish vote was a much more homogeneous bloc back then than it is today.  Sure, there will remain a hardcore 'my Israel, right or wrong' element, with many elderly, but there is also a considerable number of global Jews utterly abhorred by the actions of Netanyahu and his government, and America will be no exception.

My son has Jewish-American family, many of whom regularly send money to Israel. I'm not stupid enough to ask for their opinion of recent events, nor air my opinion of it, but I get the impression that the more liberal ones are a bit mortified at the moment.

It can't be much fun to know that the world likes to persecute your people every now and then, so you contribute to a fortress state that's supposed to be a safe retreat when it happens again, only for the people running the place to take part some utterly heinous persecution of their own.

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

You'd hope so. American christian evangelists have a hardon for Israel though and they probably don't all vote for Trump. AIPAC and Christians United for Israel will put all their resources towards Republican candidates if Harris doesn't play it with nuance. I realise nuance and genocide sit uncomfortably together, but that's the reality.