US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

5 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Not buying the bullet story given the shooter was about 70 degrees off center. He was looking nearly straight ahead when he slapped his ear.

Seems much more likely he was hit by glass from a shattering teleprompter or such, but I haven’t seen any good pictures that show if any were in use, where they were and what condition they were in afterwards.

26 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not buying the bullet story given the shooter was about 70 degrees off center. He was looking nearly straight ahead when he slapped his ear.

Seems much more likely he was hit by glass from a shattering teleprompter or such, but I haven’t seen any good pictures that show if any were in use, where they were and what condition they were in afterwards.

Isn't his right ear, which sustained the injury, the opposite side from the teleprompter, though? If you look at where the microphone is located, surely the teleprompter would be in front of that, so that he's facing it. Assuming there is a teleprompter at all, of course.

trumpinjury.jpg.c92e4c072c8a5d6d114989bb4b21ed85.jpg  

Wouldn't any debris hit the left-side of his face?

There's also the New York Times photographer's pic: 

trumpbullet.thumb.jpg.f2a2c7d765cb4302d9cc0944d8033503.jpg

Edited by Black_and_White_Stripes

Trump has been on a good run since the debate by effectively shutting up ajd letting Biden stumble and the Democrats eat themselves. The assassination attempt has galvanised the Republicans and it looks like Trump's election to lose.

I wonder if Vance as running mate is a misstep by Trump though. His beliefs on abortion are extreme and that's an area that's really hurt the Republicans in recent years. He's also a thoroughly unpleasant individual, out spoken against support for Ukraine, and a previous 'never Trumper'. There's a lot to attack here for the Democrats. 

1 hour ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Isn't his right ear, which sustained the injury, the opposite side from the teleprompter, though? If you look at where the microphone is located, surely the teleprompter would be in front of that, so that he's facing it. Assuming there is a teleprompter at all, of course.

Good point, I didn’t remember that.

As for teleprompters, it’s usually three or four positioned in an arc in front and to the sides.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Trump has been on a good run since the debate by effectively shutting up ajd letting Biden stumble and the Democrats eat themselves. The assassination attempt has galvanised the Republicans and it looks like Trump's election to lose.

I wonder if Vance as running mate is a misstep by Trump though. His beliefs on abortion are extreme and that's an area that's really hurt the Republicans in recent years. He's also a thoroughly unpleasant individual, out spoken against support for Ukraine, and a previous 'never Trumper'. There's a lot to attack here for the Democrats. 

'Joe Biden'

'Kamala Harris'

Attacking the personal faults of the candidates is hardly a strong move for the Democrats with those two up for the (metaphorical) slaughter too.

As for abortion rights, the President, never mind their running mate, does not actually control policy. Democrats have been clinging to the fantasy that abortion rights will save the day, but the reality - just like in 2016 - is that a large number of women in key states like Wisconsin etc. will be voting on issues of national leadership, their sense of the economy's direction, immigration and whether the commander in chief should be completely senile or not (new for 2024).

They need to find better candidates and messaging than this Clinton 2016-esque omnishambles very soon, or they will lose. 

Land of the free, home of the brave.

Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle said in an interview that aired Tuesday morning that a sloped roof used by the gunman who attempted an assassination of former President Trump last weekend at a rally had “safety factor” considerations.

“That building in particular has a sloped roof, at its highest point,” Cheatle said in an interview that aired on ABC’s “Good Morning America” Tuesday morning to the outlet’s Pierre Thomas. “And so, there’s a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn’t want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside.”

image.png.55225f9a7e8984e1ef10e350f29c6af4.png

Edited by welshbairn

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

4 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I've seen a photo or video/cant' remember, will try to find it, showing two teleprompters, one each side of the stage, normal so they can look from side to side instead of staring ahead like a robot. Both were intact when the Secret Service rushed the stage. Will have a look now

Edited by Rugster

1 hour ago, virginton said:

'Joe Biden'

'Kamala Harris'

Attacking the personal faults of the candidates is hardly a strong move for the Democrats with those two up for the (metaphorical) slaughter too.

As for abortion rights, the President, never mind their running mate, does not actually control policy. Democrats have been clinging to the fantasy that abortion rights will save the day, but the reality - just like in 2016 - is that a large number of women in key states like Wisconsin etc. will be voting on issues of national leadership, their sense of the economy's direction, immigration and whether the commander in chief should be completely senile or not (new for 2024).

They need to find better candidates and messaging than this Clinton 2016-esque omnishambles very soon, or they will lose. 

Whilst this is true, Trump's presidency and subsequent appointments to the supreme court are what has rowed (should that be Roe'd?) back on abortion rights. So, who's in the white house matters. Also, I don't think that all voters make the distinction over where power lies. 

I agree entirely with your last point (although I think Harris is a bit better than you say) I'm not saying that Vance swings the pendulum back towards a Democrat win, I still think it's Trump's to throw away, but I don't think this was a wise appointment from a Trump point of view.

11 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I don't actually understand the Christian Zionist movement. My understanding of the Bible is that the Jews stopped being God's chosen people when they rejected the incarnate God. It seems illogical to me.

It's an extremely odd movement - and a relatively recent one, in the context of Christianity.  There's an excellent book by Mitri Raheb, a Palestianian theologian (he's the Lutheran minister in Bethlehem), called Faith in the Face of Empire: The Bible through Palestinian Eyes  (Orbis, 2014), which is about how that Christian Zionism came to be, and the serious theological and political problems with it.  Not least of which, of course, is the devastating effects it has on the ancient Christian communities of Palestine.  It's a quick read, but a very worthwhile one.

42 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

It's an extremely odd movement - and a relatively recent one, in the context of Christianity.  There's an excellent book by Mitri Raheb, a Palestianian theologian (he's the Lutheran minister in Bethlehem), called Faith in the Face of Empire: The Bible through Palestinian Eyes  (Orbis, 2014), which is about how that Christian Zionism came to be, and the serious theological and political problems with it.  Not least of which, of course, is the devastating effects it has on the ancient Christian communities of Palestine.  It's a quick read, but a very worthwhile one.

Christian Zionism.  Nationalist Christianity.  It’s all just a grift, and grifting has been a cornerstone of the US ‘Evangelicals’ for decades.

Sometimes it’s an obvious ‘short’ grift for immediate reward, Billy Graham style.  This type is basic and quite compact.  This appeals to the less sophisticated (stupid) audience.

Of late it has been far more sophisticated, intermingles with politicians and those in positions of power and is a ‘long’ grift.  This is far more sinister.  It has evolved its own Jesuit style advocates and defenders; some/many of whom may be real believers who think the rapture is just around the corner.

What they have in common is a wonderful ability to ignore reality and put forth what they believe are solutions to absolute contradictory views and behaviour.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

I've seen a photo or video/cant' remember, will try to find it, showing two teleprompters, one each side of the stage, normal so they can look from side to side instead of staring ahead like a robot. Both were intact when the Secret Service rushed the stage. Will have a look now

Thanks for that. I think it's fair to assume from the evidence that he was struck by the bullet, in which case he's extremely lucky to be alive.

36 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Thanks for the book recommendation. I will add that to my list. 

As for Christian Zionism, I totally agree that it's a very odd movement. If one actually reads the New Testament then it could even be considered anti-Semitic, in fact a quick Google search lists many verses that are considered to be just that: Matthew 27:22-25; John 20:19; Acts 12:1-3 are just three egregious examples.

I'm not that familiar with the Bible, and in fact I read the Action Bible (a cartoon bible for kids 😬 ) a few years ago just to try to get the gist of it. I have read the book of Psalms and most of the New Testament (but skipped most of Revelation), so I'm not claiming to be an authority on the Bible, so take what I'm about to write with a pinch of salt and please correct me if I'm wrong. However, it's my understanding the Jewish people were chosen by God. However, they constantly rebelled against him, e.g. the golden calf. I understand this is encapsulated in Psalm 81.

Jesus ended the covenant with the Jews and opened it up to all mankind if they were willing to believe in him. Another Google search indicates this is known as supersessionism and was the standard theory until, as you suggest, relatively recently. That would accord with scripture. Given protestants are supposed to take their teachings wholly from the Bible - sola scriptura - then I cannot fathom how the Christian Zionist movement can possibly be seen as sound, theologically. 

The only thing that would make sense would be to usher in the eschaton. However, it's my understanding that the rapture is flawed and contradicts scripture. 

Noticing that now with the TNC coverage, when Trump closes his eyes, Giuliani trips or Johnson stops speaking and wanders off because his teleprompter fails, the media have moved on to new stories…nothing about how they are too old. Hummmm. Just saying.

Meanwhile…

-now Biden winning 53.5% of the simulations versus Trump’s 46% at 538 (based upon 1,000 simulation runs, done after Vance pick).

-offshore crypto betting now at 71% behind a Trump win…however, Trump tokens are tanking as Biden tokens surge.

-widely quoted poll in Georgia showing a swing to Trump revealed to have only 2% of respondents being African-American…in a State that has a 31% African-American voter base.

TL;DR - It’s still to far away, everyone is still guessing.