Group A - St Johnstone, Ayr United, Alloa Athletic, Stirling Albion, Stenhousemuir

AUcal

21 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Club policy is that stream price is identical to admission price. When you compare it to TV market then agree the value for money maybe questionable.

Taking the price aside, quality of our stream is really good and definitely up there with the best on offer.

Not wanting to make them big-headed, but the two lads on commentary are very good also. 

5 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Referee is a bit of a disaster. Shock. 

A bit is being kind, he’s been nothing short of atrocious. Apparently every contact by a saints player is a foul! 

Very much a work-in-progress, but a lot better so far. A couple of nervy moments from Considine, and ideally Wright will be playing in a more advanced position when we’re at full-strength, but a lot of positives. Think that Jephcott has already shown a bit of promise and he could potentially be an ideal partner for May.

4 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Very much a work-in-progress, but a lot better so far. A couple of nervy moments from Considine, and ideally Wright will be playing in a more advanced position when we’re at full-strength, but a lot of positives. Think that Jephcott has already shown a bit of promise and he could potentially be an ideal partner for May.

We seem to be playing Wright as a right back. It's not working. 

Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

Its not ideal but having McGowan in midfield has helped. Once Phillips, McPherson and Brown are fit can't see it happening too often.

5 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Yup, I get it when it’s a back three/five, but never a long-term solution when it’s a back four. Even with an available James Brown, I’d be disappointed if we didn’t sign a RB before the transfer window closes tbh. We can do better.

Edited by The Real Saints

Very poor indeed from Alloa and extremely flat from start to finish (with the exception of the always busy Hetherington). No threat at all, extremely disjointed throughout the team and very passive. We struggled to find an established side and rhythm last season despite finishing 4th. I do worry about that this season and with so many new faces. A load of friendlies and two competitive matches yet hard to see any sign of a settled team or effective shape emerging. That should be the challenge for the rest of the group stage and initial league games. 

7 hours ago, printer said:

Not wanting to make them big-headed, but the two lads on commentary are very good also. 

Just gave St Johnstone the run of the roost because their two boys were out of a job after their stuff wasn't working with an ethernet connection.

Robbo was also absent because of a virus so I had a day off.

6 hours ago, Waspie said:

Very poor indeed from Alloa and extremely flat from start to finish (with the exception of the always busy Hetherington). No threat at all, extremely disjointed throughout the team and very passive. We struggled to find an established side and rhythm last season despite finishing 4th. I do worry about that this season and with so many new faces. A load of friendlies and two competitive matches yet hard to see any sign of a settled team or effective shape emerging. That should be the challenge for the rest of the group stage and initial league games. 

I was in the area for work today so took the game in as a neutral.

I don't think anybody would say that St Johnstone didn't deserve to win the game, far from it, but I thought the margin was a bit unfair on the home team overall. You lose a goal inside a minute and your gameplan's out the window.

Coulson, Devine and Roberts I thought were the home teams best players, with all three showing up really well against Premiership opponents, perhaps moreso in the first half.

St Johnstone had a cutting edge to their play which I wasn't expecting, had decent performances all over the pitch and overall looked well worthy of the 3 points.

Nicky Clark was sitting in the stand in his tracksuit, is he injured?

After moaning about the potential quality of stream (id honestly just assumed Pixelot again), those highlights are fantastic, so a big slice of humble pie right in my face please.

8 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Nicky Clark was sitting in the stand in his tracksuit, is he injured?

Hes been injured since about March, and wont play any of these cup games.

Hopefully doesnt become one of the many players for us who gets an injury then suffers a "setback" and seems to end up missing a year.

19 hours ago, Waspie said:

Lineup was definitely experimental yesterday and looks like manager is still assessing what he has and where they will slot in. However do agree that some of the answers should be known to the questions he's asking himself. I thought we battled away okay in the middle of the park but we gave St Johnstone keeper a very comfortable afternoon and were always up against it after the admittedly good early opener.

Taggart and Donnelly clearly massively important members of the squad but based on what we've seen so far they're strolling back into the starting 11, although Buchanan was decent on the right against Stirling.

Obviously would have rather not lost to Albion, but not too fussed about results on the premise that a lot of questions are answered by the opening day of the league campaign. But still think there's a lot to do with only a couple of games to assess.

Hi, from the top of the group. 

Posting this now, as it'll likely change on Tuesday, and will definitely have changed by this time next week. Still, it's been another good LC campaign for us, having missed out on the last 16 by a bawhair in each of the last 2 seasons. 

As for yesterday, great first 20 mins or so, and then we inexplicably collapsed, and were kinda lucky to walk away with all three points. Stenny looked a decent side after the first part of the game, should be in the mix at the top of League 2 based on that evidence. Looked a better side than last season anyway. 

Edited by StewartyMac

1 hour ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Lineup was definitely experimental yesterday and looks like manager is still assessing what he has and where they will slot in. However do agree that some of the answers should be known to the questions he's asking himself. I thought we battled away okay in the middle of the park but we gave St Johnstone keeper a very comfortable afternoon and were always up against it after the admittedly good early opener.

Taggart and Donnelly clearly massively important members of the squad but based on what we've seen so far they're strolling back into the starting 11, although Buchanan was decent on the right against Stirling.

Obviously would have rather not lost to Albion, but not too fussed about results on the premise that a lot of questions are answered by the opening day of the league campaign. But still think there's a lot to do with only a couple of games to assess.

I actually thought we were the best I've seen so far this season yesterday. In particular Hetherington and Roberts both very strong in the middle of the park and a good balance.

Stevie has been our best player so far and looks to me like he's even improved since he left two years ago. Neill has been next best IMO, but I think the defence generally would be better with Taggs as the middle of the three centre backs with Neill and Devine either side of him.

I agree there are still things to be settled and as we all recognise, that's down to the front three; assuming Cawley and Deveny play wide in a midfield four. The likes of O’Donnell and Buchanan seem to be adequate cover, for those two and indeed we have cover for all of the "back eight" except goalie - the squad overall is stronger.

So that leaves IMO Coulson, Scougs, LD, Sammon, Rodden and Rankine for the front three:

Is there enough quality in there to be competitive? I think just about, assuming everyone (including LD) gets and keeps fit.

Are there enough goals to challenge at the top of the league. Well that's certainly debatable.