LOWLAND LEAGUE - Strongest it's ever been! What's You View?

I will go as far as to say that this is without doubt the strongest the Lowland League has ever been, with teams spending trying to win the league to get that playoff spot against the Highland winners and then hopefully if successful the playoff against Club 42.

When you look back at each year since its inception, the league has always been weak but now when you are looking at it the only ones I can see fighting relegation is Edinburgh Uni and Gretna. I'm thinking the likes to Cowdenbeath, Berwick, East Stirlingshire, having been in this league either a season or a couple of seasons, should now be settled and know what is required to get out of the Lowland League. With Tranent and East Kilbride all making a push via good quality players, every other team is seeing this and know they have to push on.

I'm stating this year, the league is the strongest even without the B teams in the league but no mater what your views are they make the league even tougher for the eventual winner.  I can't see the Lowland league becoming weaker for a long time with quality teams from the EOSFL and WOSFL wanting promotion to the League

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

1 Albion Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification for the Pyramid play-off
2 Berwick Rangers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
3 Bo'ness United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 Broomhill 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
5 Caledonian Braves 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
6 Celtic B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ineligible for promotion or relegation
7 Civil Service Strollers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
8 Cowdenbeath 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
9 Cumbernauld Colts 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
10 East Kilbride 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
11 East Stirlingshire 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 Edinburgh University 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
13 Gala Fairydean Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
14 Gretna 2008 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
15 Heart of Midlothian B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ineligible for promotion or relegation
16 Linlithgow Rose 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
17 Rangers B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ineligible for promotion or relegation
18 Tranent Juniors 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Possible relegation to Teir 6
19 University of Stirling 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
First match(es) will be played in July 2023. Source: 
Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

East Stirlingshire have been in the league for seven seasons and last season was, by far, their worst season so I'm not sure about the "having been in this league either a season or a couple of seasons, should now be settled and know what is required to get out of the Lowland League" claim. If anything, it might even get harder for the ex-league teams over the years as the Lowland League gets stronger and they move further away from being an SPFL club.

Edited by stanley

10 minutes ago, stanley said:

East Stirlingshire have been in the league for seven seasons and last season was, by far, their worst season so I'm not sure about the "having been in this league either a season or a couple of seasons, should now be settled and know what is required to get out of the Lowland League" claim. If anything, it might even get harder for the ex-league teams over the years as the Lowland League gets stronger and they move further away from being an SPFL club.

I think Cowdenbeath and Berwick are in for decent seasons. Albion are a bit harder to call.

16 minutes ago, stanley said:

Totally agree with your comments, especially East Stirlingshire,  I think what I mean is they should know what is required to get out of league but either they have reached their level or with the way the club is run they just aint good enough to get out but surely they must be trying to get out or are they just trying to survive in the lowland enough and feel that's good enough for them 

If Gretna and Edinburgh Uni go down over the next two seasons, and you get teams like Talbot and Pollok up, and maybe replace East Kilbride at the top with Stranraer, the league will then reach a very high level, compared to where it started.

12 minutes ago, lowenan said:

If Gretna and Edinburgh Uni go down over the next two seasons, and you get teams like Talbot and Pollok up, and maybe replace East Kilbride at the top with Stranraer, the league will then reach a very high level, compared to where it started.

Yeah 100% agree

Think Pollok's and Auchinleck's average crowd is somewhere near 600 so the fan base are there for them to reach the Lowland or even higher

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:
1 Albion Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification for the Pyramid play-off
2 Berwick Rangers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
3 Bo'ness United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 Broomhill 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
5 Caledonian Braves 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
6 Celtic B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ineligible for promotion or relegation
7 Civil Service Strollers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
8 Cowdenbeath 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
9 Cumbernauld Colts 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
10 East Kilbride 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
11 East Stirlingshire 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 Edinburgh University 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
13 Gala Fairydean Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
14 Gretna 2008 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
15 Heart of Midlothian B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ineligible for promotion or relegation
16 Linlithgow Rose 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
17 Rangers B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ineligible for promotion or relegation
18 Tranent Juniors 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Possible relegation to Teir 6
19 University of Stirling 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
First match(es) will be played in July 2023. Source: 

I like that league table 🙂

I can't even guess at where Rovers will end up as we have just a single signed player at present but whoever we sign I really don't see us being champions!

6 minutes ago, roy of the rovers said:

I can't even guess at where Rovers will end up as we have just a single signed player at present but whoever we sign I really don't see us being champions!

What would a good season look like for Rovers in the grand scheme of things coming down into this league? 

1 minute ago, roy of the rovers said:

lol

Yeah true I can understand your reservations.  To be honest, I think every team who are relegated from the SPFL 2 find it hard to come back straight away, due to the standard in the Lowland and maybe the attitude of the clubs coming down, (management or committee), thinking they will go straight back up and that's the impression I got for most seasons with fans views on here and twitter and facebook etc.. thinking they will come straight back up. Suppose Brechin were the same, finishing 3rd in their first season in the highland league but they brought some player sin won the Highland but beaten by the Lowland League champions and I'm thinking this will be similar for a few seasons. I maybe wrong but Albion are probably the strongest to come down, (don't quote me, only my view) and I get the impression the committee think they don't need much squad change to get back up but only time will tell

26 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:
Yeah true I can understand your reservations.  To be honest, I think every team who are relegated from the SPFL 2 find it hard to come back straight away, due to the standard in the Lowland and maybe the attitude of the clubs coming down, (management or committee), thinking they will go straight back up and that's the impression I got for most seasons with fans views on here and twitter and facebook etc.. thinking they will come straight back up. 

I know you don’t necessarily mean Cowdenbeath, but if you can find a post from a Cowden fan on this form that said (not tongue in cheek) they were coming straight back up, I’ll buy you a pint and a pie at Central Park if you get yourself over. 😀

8 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

I know you don’t necessarily mean Cowdenbeath, but if you can find a post from a Cowden fan on this form that said (not tongue in cheek) they were coming straight back up, I’ll buy you a pint and a pie at Central Park if you get yourself over. 😀

Its really a generalization of most clubs coming down.  I'm not gonna go searching for the twitter on here or facebook etc for each fans comments on each of the clubs that have came down but there were a few who were confident they would do well but to be honest, its just natural from most fans who have never sampled a lower level than what they are used to, they would expect to come back quickly.   

P.s.  it's not a slagging or even trying to ridicule any fan whose team is coming down to Lowland.  I don't see anything wrong with any fan of the SPFL 2 who is relegated hoping or expecting their team to come back up as most don't really look at the Lowland League until they are there or heading that way. 

9 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Its really a generalization of most clubs coming down, expect clubs like Vale of Leithen.  I'm not gonna go searching for the twitter on here or facebook etc for each fans comments on each of the clubs that have came down but there were a few who were confident they would do well but to be honest, its just natural from most fans who have never sampled a lower level than what they are used to, they would expect to come back quickly.   

P.s.  it's not a slagging or even trying to ridicule any fan whose team is coming down to Lowland.  I don't see anything wrong with any fan of the SPFL 2 who is relegated hoping or expecting their team to come back up as most don't really look at the Lowland League until they are there or heading that way. 

With Cowden’s situation the reality hit when it became apparent that not one player was staying other than a youngster who had made a couple of sub appearances.

On that basis it alarmed me a bit to read that Albion have no players signed for next season, though they could still of course re-sign a number of players from 22/23.  I think their club will be entirely realistic of the challenge ahead for them.

1 hour ago, lowenan said:

What on Earth makes you think Stranraer (or indeed any other Tier 4 club) coming down will be a strong team in the LL? How will they be as attractive to potential players as they were in the SPFL? In Stranraer's case this will be even worse because of their geographical location. I predict Albion Rovers will have great difficulty getting together a squad good enough to make a push in the LL in season 2023-24.

16 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Its really a generalization of most clubs coming down.  I'm not gonna go searching for the twitter on here or facebook etc for each fans comments on each of the clubs that have came down but there were a few who were confident they would do well but to be honest, its just natural from most fans who have never sampled a lower level than what they are used to, they would expect to come back quickly.   

I can’t remember any SPFL team and their fans coming down thinking they would do well and come back straight away.  It’s another nonsensical generalisation along with the teams that go up are always ambitious whilst those coming down have been SPFL dead wood for years.  Just lazy stereotyping

Edited by Cowden Cowboy

1 hour ago, rockson said:

What on Earth makes you think Stranraer (or indeed any other Tier 4 club) coming down will be a strong team in the LL? How will they be as attractive to potential players as they were in the SPFL? In Stranraer's case this will be even worse because of their geographical location. I predict Albion Rovers will have great difficulty getting together a squad good enough to make a push in the LL in season 2023-24.

If my scenario comes through, it will be a league where all the weaker teams are gone, and strong teams have come up to replace them. Then even a former league club could finish bottom. 

Not sure how well Stranraer would do if they come down, but they are a league team with a long and proud history. Sure they would fight for it.

3 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

lol

Yeah true I can understand your reservations.  To be honest, I think every team who are relegated from the SPFL 2 find it hard to come back straight away, due to the standard in the Lowland and maybe the attitude of the clubs coming down, (management or committee), thinking they will go straight back up and that's the impression I got for most seasons with fans views on here and twitter and facebook etc.. thinking they will come straight back up. Suppose Brechin were the same, finishing 3rd in their first season in the highland league but they brought some player sin won the Highland but beaten by the Lowland League champions and I'm thinking this will be similar for a few seasons. I maybe wrong but Albion are probably the strongest to come down, (don't quote me, only my view) and I get the impression the committee think they don't need much squad change to get back up but only time will tell

I don’t think attitude is anything to do with newly relegated SPFL teams failing in first season.

In most cases inc ourselves, most of the SPFL players leave and you can’t recruit others to replace them at SPFL level due to budget and they don’t want to sign. The LL and its players are an unknown so recruitment is difficult and you have to have a complete squad assembled by mid July for the League Cup which leads to hasty signings. 

46 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

I don’t think attitude is anything to do with newly relegated SPFL teams failing in first season.

In most cases inc ourselves, most of the SPFL players leave and you can’t recruit others to replace them at SPFL level due to budget and they don’t want to sign. The LL and its players are an unknown so recruitment is difficult and you have to have a complete squad assembled by mid July for the League Cup which leads to hasty signings. 

Yeah I get that, think its hard for any committee/management coming down what to expect unless they did their research on Lowland before they were relegated. 
As I said previously, I'd be surprised at any SPFL2 club who has just been relegated, winning the Lowland league the following season but genuinely would expect them to take stock and then have a good push the following year. 

Am I correct in thinking there was big changes players wise for Cowdenbeath when starting last season, sure it was a totally new team at the start of this season as players left and didn't want to stay and fight in the Lowland or was it the management got rid of players who got them relegated.  I do expect Cowdenbeath to be a lot higher than the season just finished but we can only wait and see.

5 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah 100% agree

Think Pollok's and Auchinleck's average crowd is somewhere near 600 so the fan base are there for them to reach the Lowland or even higher

Comments like this annoy me. How does their average gate mean it's good for the league. Auchinleck have lost a fair few players. The goalie went to darvel, 1 went to stenny and a few others. Teams will get there on merit not because they have bigger fan bases.