Breaking workplace rules

Recently we had an email come round banning dogs from offices. This affects one guy only, who always brought his dog in. It slept under his desk. He's obeying the rule.

However, in my last workplace a similar thing happened, and the guy it affected there just ignored it. He kept bringing his dog in, as he had been bringing his dogs to work for over 20 years. They never made any trouble.

Another guy I used to work with would stand at his office window smoking cigars, despite it being a "no smoking" building. 

So...are there any (petty) workplace rules that you have broken at work? Or any that others are breaking you would like to see enforced?

I have to say that as an HR guy (I know...I know) I never had the need to send a memo asking folk not to bring their dog to work.  

I well remember the days of working in a smoking office - seems bizarre nowadays to think of working in such a bad environment.  I could probably sue come to think of it.  I went for an interview with JTC (Japan Tobacco Company) in Manchester and the office had a smoke haze as staff were encouraged to smoke in the office.  Come to think of it, there could have been any number of dogs sleeping under desks as it was impossible to see anything.

The only time I remember breaking a workplace rule was one time when I went into the factory (Oil equipment manufacturing company in Montrose) to check one thing at the end of stock-check day and ending up breaking a foot.  So, not really a petty rule I guess.  

Dress code. Get it to f**k. Archaic nonsense that serves no purpose for so many. Having to sit in an office in the summer heat and not being able to wear shorts is stupid. Who is it for?

Not really a rule so to speak but I used to work in an accountants office and would put down clients I didn't like (for petty reasons) on my timesheet for chargeable time when it had been quiet and I'd done f**k all. 

Worked at Tesco as a student and we broke just about every H&S rule going. You’ve not lived until you’ve raced around a quiet store on a pallet truck. 

In my current role, there’s not many rules to break really. Work from home so just need to make sure I get my hours in and not upset too many clients

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Worked at Tesco as a student and we broke just about every H&S rule going. You’ve not lived until you’ve raced around a quiet store on a pallet truck. 

In my current role, there’s not many rules to break really. Work from home so just need to make sure I get my hours in and not upset too many clients

I worked in Somerfield in the 90s.  The practice there for getting stuff from height in the storeroom was to have a guy stand on a pallet on a forklift, and have it raised into the air. Totally against health and safety. 

A mate of mine had his pelvis crushed when the (untrained) driver of the truck smashed him into the metal shelving when he was 20 feet up. The shop was fined £20k and the manager resigned. 

7 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

5 posts in and we're already at fraud.

Can anyone top that?

Not me but the MD at my last job was jailed for embezzling £160,000. Mostly from a service user. Absolute shithole of a company. Surprised that wasn't the end of them tbh but they're still going. My last manager has been sacked since I left as she apparently went into work twice while off duty pished. Not great when there are recovering alcoholics in the place. Another woman was asked to leave after she came in pished and went for a sleep in the sleepover room. 

A mental health service where the staff were worse off than the patients :lol:

Edited by 19QOS19

Used to work in a pub kitchen in my youth, and would stuff my face with chips and shite all day long. Used to love putting lots of random shite in the fryer too, pieces of jalepeno and cheese covered in flour and batter etc. All leftover food offered to the barstaff as well at the end of shift. Any "out of date" stuff that was getting thrown would be taken home too.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Recently we had an email come round banning dogs from offices. This affects one guy only, who always brought his dog in. It slept under his desk. He's obeying the rule.

However, in my last workplace a similar thing happened, and the guy it affected there just ignored it. He kept bringing his dog in, as he had been bringing his dogs to work for over 20 years. They never made any trouble.

Another guy I used to work with would stand at his office window smoking cigars, despite it being a "no smoking" building. 

So...are there any (petty) workplace rules that you have broken at work? Or any that others are breaking you would like to see enforced?

The Office (UK) - Nelson - YouTube

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Dress code. Get it to f**k. Archaic nonsense that serves no purpose for so many. Having to sit in an office in the summer heat and not being able to wear shorts is stupid. Who is it for?

I always think when watching the perpetual reruns of Friends is that the male characters dress a lot more formally than you would expect of twenty-somethings now.  Chandler and Ross wear suits to their office and always wear suits when they go out on dates.  You just wouldn't see that now, I don't think.

When I worked for an investment bank, if you were in a client facing area you had to wear formal business dress, there was a memo detailing what you needed and what was not acceptable.  Now I work for effectively a technology company and we have no dress code.  I usually wear a shirt and jeans or chino type trousers to the office.  Interestingly, trainers are now pretty much accepted as footwear - we have had several presentations from our CEO and senior vice presidents and they've been wearing trainers.

I think everyone would accept that there are appropriate and inappropriate clothes for different occasions.  Dress codes that impose unfair, uncomfortable or even painful clothes on staff are clearly wrong but I think there is a place for making sure that people dress appropriately.  

When I worked at Tescos at Inshes in Inverness one of the managers got fired for stealing a pallet of frozen turkeys at Christmas.  Another was drunk driving, was chased by the police into the store and arrested.

When I started working in Tesco at 16 my mate (honest) thought that staff were allowed to help themselves to anything on the shelves at break time. He used to come up to the canteen with all sorts of stuff and this went on for weeks before he was told otherwise. Fortunately it wasn't management that pointed it out to him or he'd have been out the door and likely have a shoplifting charge against his name. 

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

When I worked at Tescos at Inshes in Inverness one of the managers got fired for stealing a pallet of frozen turkeys at Christmas.  Another was drunk driving, was chased by the police into the store and arrested.

What was he planning on doing with all those turkeys - selling them? Putting them in a gigantic chest freezer at home and having turkey every day for the next four months?