Breaking workplace rules

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Previous employer eventually upgraded their e-mail and Instant Message services, which allowed users to upload a profile picture, which displayed on all messages sent, in live conversations etc.

I had a jaunty wee avatar pic a la P&B for a wee while, but was then informed of the previously unadvised rule that the picture on my profile had to be of me.

I amended it to a picture of me aged approx 6 months, only to have the same middle manager arrive at my desk a couple of weeks later to advise that that wasn't acceptable either 🤷‍♂️

I just went without a picture from then on, seemed easier.

We have much the same things. Some of the females pictures have been through so many filters it literally does not look like them. Defeats the purpose of having a a picture so people know who they are talking to

Edited by Wile E Coyote

In terms of petty workplace rules, dress code is one I have regularly not bothered with.  I work in an office (not public facing) so who cares if I wear jeans in the office?

That being said, I work for a government department and we have lots of really stupid and bureaucratic policies so if there is one that is inconvenient I will follow the "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" principle and bypass annoying steps

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Dress code. Get it to f**k. Archaic nonsense that serves no purpose for so many. Having to sit in an office in the summer heat and not being able to wear shorts is stupid. Who is it for?

We "dress for your day" which for me is cool cause I'm not someone who comes into contact with clients face to face etc so every day is a shorts day especially at home.  

Edited by itzdrk

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

About a fortnight ago i took down the passive aggressive "office etiquette" poster that the fud committee came up with to address their pet peeves. 

I am now about to eat lunch at my desk. Later, i might have a non-work related conversation without being mindful of my colleagues. 

black-kid-oh-shit.gif

33 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

We have much the same things. Some of the females pictures have been through so many filters it literally does not look like them. Defeats the purpose of having a a picture so people know who they are talking to

I arranged to meet someone in person as the office began reopening. I walked past her half a dozen times, then phoned her demanding to know why she hadn't bothered coming in.

Everyone seems to have a Forklift story! We didn't bother standing on a pallet, I remember standing on one of the raised forks and being driven up and down the access road at the back of the shop. That and spraying some WD40 or something like that on the back of people's overalls and setting light to them. Whatever if it was burned quickly without setting light to whatever it was on. I don't think there were actually  written rules against any of this 🤔

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Dress code. Get it to f**k. Archaic nonsense that serves no purpose for so many. Having to sit in an office in the summer heat and not being able to wear shorts is stupid. Who is it for?

Unless you’re dealing directly with client or general public I don’t see the point in it if it’s all employees working for same company. I’m all site based now but my last company required some time in the office and everyone in there dressed smart even if they weren’t coming into contact with anyone out with the company which I found a bit weird.

Have to admit that I'm a fan of work dress, if just for that moment when you unbutton the shirt and think "ahhhh, that's the work day finished".

Helps fully separate work and play for me anyway.

I'm pretty close to being banned from all Schlumberger sites for repeatedly breaking one of their rules. It's an absolutely stupid rule that I refuse to follow. 

We go through the same rigmarole almost monthly where some tube will report me (and get his wee prize for doing so) I'll get pulled up by their H&S and we will have a talk. I'll say I'm not following the rule, they'll say to my employer I have to. My employer will side with me. They'll say if I don't confirm I'll be banned. My employer will say "if that's what it comes to." They'll say it's H&S. We will say it isn't, in fact it's the opposite in HSE and they'll say "it's our policy, you must follow it". 

Rinse and repeat.

6 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I'm pretty close to being banned from all Schlumberger sites for repeatedly breaking one of their rules. It's an absolutely stupid rule that I refuse to follow. 

We go through the same rigmarole almost monthly where some tube will report me (and get his wee prize for doing so) I'll get pulled up by their H&S and we will have a talk. I'll say I'm not following the rule, they'll say to my employer I have to. My employer will side with me. They'll say if I don't confirm I'll be banned. My employer will say "if that's what it comes to." They'll say it's H&S. We will say it isn't, in fact it's the opposite in HSE and they'll say "it's our policy, you must follow it". 

Rinse and repeat.

Go on then, tell us the rule. 

29 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Have to admit that I'm a fan of work dress, if just for that moment when you unbutton the shirt and think "ahhhh, that's the work day finished".

Helps fully separate work and play for me anyway.

^ ^ ^ loves taking his bra off at the end of the day.

I used to hate working in an office and having someone sitting 6ft away from me send an email asking me to do something. I had saved a copy of the "delivery failed" email and used to just copy the contents and send this as a response to whoever sent me the email in the first place. 

If they then came over and asked me to do said task (like a normal person should) then I would. If they did nothing or worse, resent their original email, then their request would remain ignored and I'd deny ever receiving any of their emails. 

2 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Used to work on a wee office that helped people in the community.  While she was not my boss, the woman in charge was a chancer.

Her brother lived in Lanzarote and due to people not wanting to post stuff there/cost of postage, he used to buy loads of stuff on ebay at low prices/things nobody had bid on and get them shipped to our office.

Back office, reception and cellar would be filled with parcels for him.  Every few months he would fly over on a cheap flight, rip them open and stuff them into suitcases.  He would hen go back and sell stuff online in Lanzarote and make a fortune.

At one point we had a wide screen TV, a projector screen and tyres for a dune buggy (not sure how he fitted that lot into suitcases).

All went well for a few years until the woman had a car accident and was off for a few months.  Somebody from the company had to cover for her and reported her for running a business out the premises.  She basically got told to resign before she was sacked.

That’s pretty shit tbh, it’s not hurting anyone, shame on the grass

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Everyone seems to have a Forklift story! We didn't bother standing on a pallet, I remember standing on one of the raised forks and being driven up and down the access road at the back of the shop. That and spraying some WD40 or something like that on the back of people's overalls and setting light to them. Whatever if it was burned quickly without setting light to whatever it was on. I don't think there were actually  written rules against any of this 🤔

Pretty sure there was nothing in the rules saying we couldn't use a forklift to turn the loading bay light switch on and off... or create a race track out of palletes in the yard.

Happy days.

9 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

not an actual rule but an unwritten rule has to be not to put any fish product in the microwave in the canteen.

Oh jeez, someone did that with what smelt like Caribbean salted fish at my old office, it stunk the place out for hours.