Early 2023/24 predictions

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

The League Cup group stages are of course famous for being an accurate reflection of how every team's season ends up going in the long run.

As this is very true, then with Thistle beating the red hot favourites on their own patch with half an academy side, you might as well give us the trophy now and the rest of you can battle for the play offs.

We're managing to pick up injuries left, right and centre and have a very light squad so I can't see us putting in a title challenge, but anything from 4th to 8th seems possible. Can't see us losing enough games to go down. 

Dundee United, by hook or by crook

-------------------------------

Partick Thistle                                 

Inverness Caledonian Thistle         

Dunfermline Athletic                         

Raith Rovers                                       

Greenock Morton                             

Queens Park                                       

Airdrieonians                                       

Ayr United                                           

Arbroath, sadly.

Partick to get to the play off final and shit the bed again, Ayr to stay up beating Falkirk in the play off final. Which would be amusing.

Edited by Salvo Montalbano
Formatting

Partick Thistle
Queens Park
Raith Rovers 
Greenock Morton
Dundee United
Ayr United
Inverness Caledonian Thistle 
Dunfermline
Airdrie
Arbroath

If it is anything like last year a couple of results strung together make a huge difference given how inconsistent everyone seemed to be last year. Have put Arbroath rock bottom but, no doubt Dick Campbell will probably do enough to keep them up by the skin of their teeth through shrewd loan deals. Goodwin isn't off to the best of starts this season, I reckon he'll do enough to not get emptied until the winter. However, the damage will be done by then.

No idea what to expect from Ayr given the manager is saying we are 4 short just now of the finished article. If the squad remains the same as it is just now we're in trouble, teams will overrun us down the flanks given our severe lack of quality at LB/RB. I'm remaining optimistic that we'll sign atleast 3 decent players out of the 4. 

A 10 team collective of week to week highs and lows, masquerading as professionalism but being shown up to be largely mediocre. But our mediocre.

Teams representing hard working communities who look for their clubs to bring a ray of positivity now and then in an otherwise grim current outlook.

The team that comes out on top when its all finished is slightly less inconsistent than the rest and usually has the biggest wage budget in comparison to the rest.

5 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

A 10 team collective of week to week highs and lows, masquerading as professionalism but being shown up to be largely mediocre. But our mediocre.

Teams representing hard working communities, and Maryhill, who look for their clubs to bring a ray of positivity now and then in an otherwise grim current outlook.

The team that comes out on top when its all finished is slightly less inconsistent than the rest and usually has the biggest wage budget in comparison to the rest.

FTFY

Dunfermline - Momentum from last season sees Dunfermline scrape over the line to take Dundee’s mantle as the lowest points champions. 

Thistle - Pipped on the last day as they draw at Tannadump. 

Morton - Build on last season’s positive campaign. Relentless and hard to beat. 

Raith Rovers - Sneak into the play-offs with a home win against already safe Arbroath in the last game of the season. 

Queens Park - Inconsistent. Will smash teams and also be smashed. Kind of like last season but without the sustained runs. 

Arbroath - looked good in recent friendly against Dundee. Astute signings. Will kick on this season.

Airdrie - Good early season form will save them in the end. Just.

Ayr Utd - Post Akinyemi. How do you replace those goals? Almost plumped for them to go down but remembered Dodds and Badloss were also in the league. 

Dundee Utd - Relegated against Paul Hartley’s Cove Rangers in play-off final.

ICT - relegated automatically after Richard Gough takes over. 

Edited by Liam899
Stumbled upon a crystal ball.

On 01/07/2023 at 03:41, RossBFaeDundee said:

1st. Dundee United
2nd. Partick Thistle
3rd. Raith Rovers

4th. Queen's Park
5th. Greenock Morton
6th. Inverness Caley Thistle
7th. Dunfermline Athletic
8th. Ayr United
9th. Airdrieonians

10th. Arbroath

Yep, already a couple of shifts, though I will not yield to the inescapable urge to change the top spot... for now.

Right, here we go:

1. Dundee United - despite Goodwin I just can't imagine any other outcome, worst case scenario they get rid and spend in January.

2. Inverness - they ended last season fairly well and I've a feeling it'll carry across. There's always the Dodds factor to contend with though.

3.  Raith Rovers - I'm still not entirely convinced by Raith tbh, but I have a feeling they'll be consistent against the "poorer" sides and sometimes that's enough.

4. Queen's Park - still think we're one of the hardest teams to place because there are so many unknowns. Expecting a relatively slow start but we'll kick on and do well over the course of the full season.

5. Partick Thistle - obviously not in quite as dire a situation as some people expected/hoped, but I still think they'll regress slightly from last year.

6. Dunfermline - last time I saw them play they were rubbish and we relegated them but by all accounts they're fairly well organised now so a solid mid table finish it is.

7. Ayr United - unless they can pluck some other superstar striker out of their arse then they're very likely to take a few steps backwards from last season.

8. Morton - Dougie's head will be turned relatively early on when the first opportunity becomes available at a bigger club, and he'll either mentally check out or leave. This is very much his team and they'll struggle without him.

9. Arbroath - not convinced they're any better this season than they were last season, but the overall standard of the league is likely to be slightly higher so they'll be down there again.

10. Airdrie - don't see any reason to assume they'll be anywhere near good enough to stay up, but I've been wrong before. 

Edited by Zanetti

Predictions??? Meh!

Basing this on a number of factors such as my experience of away days, if supporters on here are class acts and how I've thought of them historically and the club as they are now.

1/ Inverness Caledonian Thistle - Obviously, however Rangers fan Scott Gardiner and that orange away strip has brought them down a knotch in my estimation. We have the greatest support in the world and Inverness is still the best place to live in Scotland.

2/ Partick Thistle - My big team from the days I supported Caledonian in the HL.

3/ Ayr Utd - Always liked Ayr, nice town, fish and chips and supporters are a decent knowledgable sort.

4/ Morton - Seem largely a decent bunch supporters, kind of a mixed bag of knowledge and wind up merchants. I predict them to make the step forward into the playoffs this season. Will probably pump Dundee Utd 4-0 at Tannadice to much hilarity.

5/ Arbroath - Is this going to be Dick's swansong season at the club? hope they stay up, good away day memories there. Some of the supporters are a bit weird though. Will probably shock pump Dundee Utd 3-0 on the opening day of the season.

6/ Raith Rovers - Sort of the Kilmarnock or St Johnstone of the league just now. Supporters seem tame enough compared to Falkirk and Dunfermline fans on match threads. Will probably pump Dundee Utd 5-0 a couple of times.

7/ Queen's Park - Comedy Glasgow Gretna bottle jobs, good for a laugh, supporters seem decent enough and grounded. Shame their club isn't. Potentially a boagy team for Dundee Utd.

8/ Dunfermline Athletic - Having to put up with what they take as humour is going to be trying on match threads. Decent club mind, can't fault that. Just, I hope the fans on here have raised the banter bar since I last ventured onto a match thread with them. I hope I'm wrong, those Pars fans that venture away from the match threads generally are good guys on the forum. Will end the season unbeaten against Dundee Utd.

9/ Dundee Utd - Clearly in freefall and should quickly become an irrelevance.

10/ Airdrieonians - alleged stone throwers and spitting at rival fans, nazi salutes and songs about rival foreign players - pantomime villians for the season, will probably finish 9th and celebrate their last home game called no relegation Airdrie day by raising one of their own empty stands to the ground after pumping Dundee Utd 4-0 and sending them down instead. Then build a bonfire on the pitch and dance around it.

Edited by approximately dave

Decent start in League cup for Airdrie, but as many have said already, these games don't count for anything when it comes to predicting league form. In saying that, we handled Dundee's physicality better than I expected and matched them throughout, so that's a positive.

ICT away tonight may hold more of a contest though, in terms of how we will fare against a fellow Championship side, especially on the road. 

Not going to do a whole league prediction as I'd no doubt be miles off, but I am quietly confident that Airdrie can do enough to avoid relegation. Still short of a few bodies though, so the recruitment could either reinforce that confidence or smash it out the water. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

Even as a Queen’s Park fan, I have no utter clue how we’ll get on. We’ve looked easy one the eye but we look awfully soft from early impressions. Looking at all the other predictions, we certainly seem to be the most moved about team. Some putting us near the bottom, middle or the play off spots

1. Dundee United 

2. Partick Thistle 

3. Raith 

4. Ayr

5. Queen’s Park 

6. Morton

7. Dunfermline 

8. Inverness 

9. Arbroath 

10. Airdrie