Early 2023/24 predictions

1 hour ago, clashcityrocker said:

Arbroath were the whipping boys last season - can't see this happening this season.

We'll see. I just think it's quite a bit stronger as a league and that Arbroath will struggle. Wouldn't mind seeing them have a decent season, as long as that doesn't derail things for us.

1 hour ago, williebraveheart said:

Not a main sponsor throwing money in?????????????- Heaven forbid 🤣🤣

Well considering we used to be in debt to our sponsors, yeah. It's something.

Plus compared to McGills, Golden Casket/Millions and all the ones before, Dalrada have thrown plenty of money at it;

Bought the land next to the Cowshed, practically funded our team second half of last season's and there's probably more we haven't seen.

McGills and GC will have just payed a shite sponsorship rate (Golden Casket, actually, probably payed nothing when the Rae's were owners. We were in debt to them, after all).

I've got no idea where everyone will finish, but I have been thinking about how Arbroath will do versus the various teams in the league:

1.  Inverness

I know Billy Dodds gets a lot of stick, but he seems to be pretty decent tactically.  He seems to change his line up and tactics depending on the opposition, and above all, he knows exactly how to match up against a Dick Campbell team.  Unless they sack him, we are not going to get a goal.

2. Raith

Their business has given me the absolute fear.  A few years back, Raith were mantlepiece status, barely a blip on our horizon, but then McGlynn started playing all his monsters to try and bully us.  Last season was another step up, and now they have Jack Hamilton.  I'm a bit worried about facing them.

3.  Airdrie

Everyone's tip for relegation, but they will have a massive point to prove against us.  It wouldn't surprise me if we beat Dundee United twice, but barely got a point from Airdrie.

4.  Dundee United

They'll probably win the league, but if there's any team that I expect to have a meltdown about slumming it at Gayfield and demanding action for having to play in a 3 mph hurricane, its this lot.  Relegated teams are full of entitlement of arrogance.  They'll get most of the points, but I reckon we'll get a shock win.

5. Ayr

I imagine they'll have a decent season, if we are having a decent season, we should win a few points from them.  I actually don't really have any idea about how their season preparations are going, so I've stuck them in the middle.

6.  Dunfermline

I'm legitimately still furious that we threw that league cup game against the Pars last season, and to me, they feel like a big team who belong at this level.  I've no idea how their business has been, so much like Ayr, in the middle.

7.  Partick Thistle

They ended the season well, on the field, but off the field, they seem to be a total mess.  I reckon coming so close last season will give them a hangover.  Lucky to scrape into the playoffs generally, and we'll go well against them.

8.  Morton

Dougie Imrie is clearly a very good manager, he's got the best out of Morton even with his budget sliced right down, so much so that I was surprised Dundee fans weren't interested in taking him to Dens.   However, regardless of how good he is, Morton seem to really struggle against us.  It doesn't matter who their manager is, who is playing, or how well our respective teams are doing, Morton seem to crumble against us.  I think its psychological.

9.  Queens Park

I don't think they'll finish last, not by a long shot, but the signings they have made and their manager's philosophy fills me with glee.  Arbroath's team of grizzled shitfesting pensioners know exactly what to do against a bunch of naïve academy kids passing the ball between themselves.  If we are on form, we are going to absolutely kick them in.  I think Queens will do well elsewhere, but I'm confident of getting plenty of points against this lot.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

If The Caley win the league I will give everyone who’s commented on this thread a blowjob.

You'll be happy with a good, firm handshake.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

2. Raith

Their business has given me the absolute fear.  A few years back, Raith were mantlepiece status, barely a blip on our horizon, but then McGlynn started playing all his monsters to try and bully us.  Last season was another step up, and now they have Jack Hamilton.  I'm a bit worried about facing them.

Screenshot_20230711-112712.thumb.png.05b0b2dda80d7591afd7f20ce1128b51.png

I seriously hope you don't work as a joiner. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I seriously hope you don't work as a joiner

Neat chart and well laid out with some interesting data - as an Arbroath fan, it does seem that in recent years Arbroath have had the better of Raith, but clearly not as your chart shows.

I notice a few Morton fans are posting Arbroath as faves to finish bottom - but Morton are another team who seem to struggle against the 'Broath ( would be interesting to see a chart for these games).

Also, in recent years Dundee United have always struggled against Arbroath - I expect them to win the league, but Arbroath will take points off them too.

For what it's worth, I predict Arbroath will finish mid-table and maybe a wild card for pushing towards the play offs ( thats a big maybe).

3 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Neat chart and well laid out with some interesting data - as an Arbroath fan, it does seem that in recent years Arbroath have had the better of Raith, but clearly not as your chart shows.

I notice a few Morton fans are posting Arbroath as faves to finish bottom - but Morton are another team who seem to struggle against the 'Broath ( would be interesting to see a chart for these games).

Also, in recent years Dundee United have always struggled against Arbroath - I expect them to win the league, but Arbroath will take points off them too.

For what it's worth, I predict Arbroath will finish mid-table and maybe a wild card for pushing towards the play offs ( thats a big maybe).

Obviously winning the league when we were in that division means you were well ahead of us that year but even then, in head to heads it was equal: one win, one loss and two draws. Then, the shortened Covid Season it was one win, one defeat and one draw. Then 21/22 when you nearly won it it was still one win, one defeat and two draws.

Last season was the first time in a while where the head to head tipped one way  with Rovers winning 2 and drawing 2. The same record as the season before you won L1 when we lost out to Ayr.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Screenshot_20230711-112712.thumb.png.05b0b2dda80d7591afd7f20ce1128b51.png

I seriously hope you don't work as a joiner. 

Interesting that, because my impression was that we'd been rolling over you since our championship season.  I didn't realise that you'd actually done so well!  Shows how important perception is.

It should be noted though that I was actually giving Raith fulsome praise.  I think their transfer business has been excellent, and they look to have built on last season.

38 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Since Arbroath's promotion for the 2019/20 season, we've won 2, drawn six, with Arbroath winning 4.

We won the first two fixtures (1-0 H and 1-2 A), and haven't won since January 2020- of course, the lockdowns paused the football after that.

I, whilst the topic is raised, don't think Arbroath will finish bottom. I feel like Airdrie will occupy that spot. Just a gut feeling, though. I think Arbroath will survive, but will probably need the playoffs for it.

38 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I think Partick will also struggle as a result of losing so many key players. 

I agree. Plus also their finances as well aren’t the greatest. Honestly I hope I’m wrong on this one because I don’t mind partick compared to some of the other teams in this league but I just have a bad feeling for them