Early 2023/24 predictions

very tough to call while there is still so much business to be done by some clubs, but based on what I currently know,

Champions - Dundee Utd

10th - Arbroath

Surprise package - airdrie.  A lot of folk have been writing them off but I think they will stay up.  Much as I have enjoyed seeing their struggles since the whole clydebank situation (which should not have been allowed to happen), I think its time to put that one to rest.  They have been unlucky not to go up in the past couple of seasons & I am actually glad to see a proper championship level team back up here after a long absence.  I am looking forward to our matches against them.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were as little as 15 points between the promotion & relegation playoff spots.

Theres no doubt one of the Pars or Airdrie will carry the promotion bounce (maybe even both).

The last few seasons have seen teams who were top 4 challengers struggle at the wrong end the following year, it'll be a tight league that's for sure, I'll save the prediction till after the league cup stages though 😉

20 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Now that things are taking shape,

1 Dundee Utd

2 Partick Thistle

3 Queens Park

4 Dunfermline

5 Inverness

6 Ayr

7 Raith Rovers

8 Morton

8 Arbroath

9 Airdrie

That's some mighty fine countin' that that boys done there...

istockphoto-1142017905-170667a.jpg

Much like last season I'm guessing, if not even tighter, but as follows:

1.  Dundee Utd

2. Dunfermline

3. Raith Rovers

4. ICT

5. Partick Thistle

6. Queens Park

7. Ayr

8 Morton

9. Arbroath

10. Airdrie

ICT in 4th dependent upon Dodds getting the boot at some point and reckon 4th-8th could be highly interchangeable.  

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

Much like last season I'm guessing, if not even tighter, but as follows:

1.  Dundee Utd

2. Dunfermline

3. Raith Rovers

4. ICT

5. Partick Thistle

6. Queens Park

7. Ayr

8 Morton

9. Arbroath

10. Airdrie

ICT in 4th dependent upon Dodds getting the boot at some point and reckon 4th-8th could be highly interchangeable.  

I am not getting the Dodds for the sack stuff. He got them to the play off final season before last and cup final last season and just missed out on playoffs on the final day.Unless something behind the scenes is going on.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

I am not getting the Dodds for the sack stuff. He got them to the play off final season before last and cup final last season and just missed out on playoffs on the final day.Unless something behind the scenes is going on.

I think at least some of it is that Dodds comes across as being incredibly stupid, rather than him necessarily actually doing a bad job. But also Caley have a tendency to go through long spells where they look genuinely abysmal every week, before snapping out of it and being relatively good again. I know last season was mostly put down to injuries, but they did the same thing the season before I’m sure.

He won’t be sacked though. The only managers I can see getting punted if things aren’t going well are Lee Bullen and Jim Goodwin. 

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think at least some of it is that Dodds comes across as being incredibly stupid, rather than him necessarily actually doing a bad job. But also Caley have a tendency to go through long spells where they look genuinely abysmal every week, before snapping out of it and being relatively good again. I know last season was mostly put down to injuries, but they did the same thing the season before I’m sure.

He won’t be sacked though. The only managers I can see getting punted if things aren’t going well are Lee Bullen and Jim Goodwin. 

Ian murray as well i would imagine

I don’t think the Hamilton games are a good indicator for our chances this season it’s pretty obvious playoff games are not the same as a regular league game. Airdrie fans could argue if we had a semi competent goalkeeper we would have beaten Dundee last season at Dens and we played really well that day. Again though means nothing. I think we were the second best team in league 1 last season when playing to our potential but Dunfermline were a class above and showed what a strong consistent team can do.

Whilst I expect a tough tough season I certainly do not expect us to roll over and go down miles adrift from the rest. Our ability to score goals will catch a few teams out I think. 

I can see this season’s league being even sillier than last season. 

Dundee Utd should be stronger than Dundee were last season and Dunfermline and Airdrie will undoubtedly be stronger than Cove and Accies.

The only predication I could make with any confidence at the moment is Utd to go up as Champions purely on account of their resources.

18 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Indeed.  From October 2021-February 2022 and then October 2022-February 2023 we didn't win a league game.

From February 2022 to the play off final in May we were the best team in the league by a mile but too far behind Killie to catch them.

The season just ended we finished strongly too, not as strong as 21-22 of course, but as you say we were having to send youth teams to play Challenge Cup games to try and get a team on the park for the league game the following Saturday.  I think there was 5-6 games in a row where we had 7 definite starters out long term injured with a couple more just coming back.

2 of said long term injuries didn't play a single minute in 22-23 (Tam Walsh and Shane Sutherland).

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Indeed.  From October 2021-February 2022 and then October 2022-February 2023 we didn't win a league game.

From February 2022 to the play off final in May we were the best team in the league by a mile but too far behind Killie to catch them.

The season just ended we finished strongly too, not as strong as 21-22 of course, but as you say we were having to send youth teams to play Challenge Cup games to try and get a team on the park for the league game the following Saturday.  I think there was 5-6 games in a row where we had 7 definite starters out long term injured with a couple more just coming back.

2 of said long term injuries didn't play a single minute in 22-23 (Tam Walsh and Shane Sutherland).

Certainly spells like that are more likely to get a manager the sack, even if the cause is injuries to many players at the one time. Probably better for managers to have a season where results are more evenly spaced out, rather than on the pendulum that ICT must have had last 2 seasons.

Those placing 'The Famous' Morton as anything below 4th are in cloud cuckoo land. We only missed last year's playoffs on goal difference, we go into the season with largely the same quality squad with further additons to come  - and arguably with the hungriest and most effective manager in the division. We're also fan-owned, 100% debt-free, superbly supported by Dalrada, and therefore unencumbered by the kind of financial pressures which inevitably have a negative and detrimental effect on the performance of any team out on the grass - be they good or bad.. We would also have beaten C**tic last year apart from those 5 lucky goals they fluked.

Write us off at your peril.

FWIW - I also think that Airdrie will surprise a hell of a lot of fitba folk this season - and it's good to see a club rising to this level after the shite endured by their supporters given the club's not-too-distant history. Also looking forward to seeing what potentially fascinating rabbits Raith pull out of the hat. I really hope that Lichties get their act together - Gayfield's my favourite away day and their supporters are solid, proper fans of the game - humble and fair-minded virtually to a man. Same goes for Somerset Park - a  proper, old-school ground full of proper fitba supporters. It's good to be welcoming Pars back into the fold,  they have a real chance of continuing their upsurge and deservedly so. Jags (despite their financial troubles) have been rejuvenated by Kris Doolan - and props to the man for achieving what he has in such a short space of time. Brilliant. My heart bled for Queens fans as their tail-end of last season imploded, and the uncertainties over finances and their ground shenanigans possibly leaves a question mark over how all of that shite will affect performance on the pitch. Tangerines have to be favourites given their greater funding and former Premiership status - but fair play to them if their P&B supporters aren't the fucking roasters that their across-the road dark blue neighbours mostly seemed to be.

It's going to be another classic Championship arse-puckering nailbiter. Best wishes and good luck to all clubs from this supporter of the Ton. See yous all at Cappielow.

Edited by Chippyminton

46 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

My heart bled for Queens fans as their tail-end of last season imploded, and the uncertainties over finances and their ground shenanigans possibly leaves a question mark over how all of that shite will affect performance on the pitch.

Fancy elaborating on this? Our incredibly young, inexperienced squad obviously struggled in the final third last season, but the rest is news to me.

On 26/06/2023 at 23:09, Paisley Ton said:

Is this the official predictor thread?

Is JM doing a RossbFaeDundee this season.  

Fair play to Jives, June 15th is some time to be making a predictions thread! :lol: Knowing me, I'll still go back and count all this next year.

The Billy Mckay Caley-to-Ayr potential move is more important in my prediction than I expected tbh, it'll be different depending on what happens, but for now I'll assume he doesn't go.

5th to 8th is a nightmare to guess, each of them I'm thinking "aye, they could be 5th-6th" and then realising I've already put another there. Had planned to try and put Airdrie higher but with the glut in the middle there's no room (and it'll be even more muddled if Ayr get Mckay)

Can't wait for this to change wildly by the 5th of August!

20/7 edit: Yep, already a couple of shifts, though I will not yield to the inescapable urge to change the top spot... for now.

3/8 edit: Probably my last edit, but quite a big one with the entire middle of the pack shifting (i.e. QP were 4th, Pars were 7th and Ayr were 8th). The points difference between 2nd to 8th (mostly 3rd to 7th imo) will be tighter than a snare drum, should be great entertainment.

1st. Dundee United
2nd. Partick Thistle
3rd. Raith Rovers

4th. Dunfermline Athletic
5th. Greenock Morton
6th. Ayr United
7th. Inverness Caley Thistle
8th. Queen’s Park
9th. Airdrieonians

10th. Arbroath

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

On 18/06/2023 at 19:52, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Correct. Relishing the opportunity to watch Airdrie in the Championship. Even more so about the prospect of a few teams being surprised by us. Bring it on. 

Nazi Salutes, bit of racism, maybe a KKK outfit or two around Halloween. 

Nah, well not be surprised.